View Full Version : Shimano Waxwing & Lucanus Jigs

Piscator
01-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Anyone see these yet? They look pretty slick.

Waxwing Jig System (http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/waxwing.html)

Lucanus Jig System (http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/lucanus_jig_system.html)

numbskull
01-30-2011, 06:59 AM
The lucanus jigs have been around several years. They work well on sea bass, but not particularly well in my hands unless tipped with bait (or synthetic bait). The thin rubber flappers are very fragile and tear after several fish. They are replaceable, but not very cheap considering how quickly they wear out. The neatest thing about these jigs is how well the tiny "assist" hooks work.

niko
01-30-2011, 07:42 AM
i got a waxwing at belsans yesterday. we'll see how long the fins last

Piscator
01-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Think I might get a Waxwing or 2 myself. What else did you spend your plow money on at Belsans?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko
01-30-2011, 09:50 AM
been eyeing a terez rod and a talica 2 speed for jigging

Mr. Sandman
01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Picked up a handful of waxwings last season but most are still in the package. I have only made a few casts with one (for albies) and have not caught a fish with one. They look cool though. The Lucanus jigs are as numby said good for seabass but that is all I have caught on it. Some of the comm sea bass guys love them. They are pretty costly and if you fish around wrecks expect an expensive day.

Niko...I picked up two talica's last year. They are really nice reels! very solid, excellent lever drag. I used them on a Shimano boat rods (can't recall the name) for live bait and chunking (and a little jigging) for bass and blues last fall. But hope to use them for other purposes as well in the future. So far so good.

I plan to get fully into the jigging mode this season. I had such a good time with the setup I had a couple weeks ago (in FL) that I need to fish like that up here. I want to get one spinning and one conventional jig set up. I had an acid wrapped (spiral guides) jig rod from Badfish Outfitters with a Torsa reel. That reel is like a power winch on steroids, it can reel in anything no matter how big and holds (what seems like)miles of braid.

Piscator
01-30-2011, 08:01 PM

now that's a sweet set up. Can't wait to try yours out!

YouTube - SHIMANO TALICA 2 SPEED FISHING REEL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJ1hB-nMUw)

striperman36
01-30-2011, 08:09 PM
now that's a sweet set up. Can't wait to try yours out!

YouTube - SHIMANO TALICA 2 SPEED FISHING REEL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJ1hB-nMUw)

they make lefties?

fish4striper
01-31-2011, 12:41 PM

Paul,

Check out 360tuna, bloodydecks, noreast long range reports/ reviews on jigging rods and reels before you pull the trigger.

Mr. Sandman
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
I want to go on one of those long range trips for 16 days or so...that would be friggin awesome. Imagine fishing non stop for 16 days and nights ...talk about overload.

SB.com west coast road trip ---> long range tuna boat anyone?:fishin:

niko
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
i lived in so cal briefly. did some 3 day tuna, yellowtail trips - pretty fun

Piscator
01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
so anybody have any luck with the Lacanus out deep with Cod? Biggest I saw was 7oz so might not be enough weight. Thinking going deep might get somthing to nibble at it besides sea bass. Reminds me of a pig and jig large mouth style

numbskull
01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
so anybody have any luck with the Lacanus out deep with Cod? Biggest I saw was 7oz so might not be enough weight. Thinking going deep might get somthing to nibble at it besides sea bass. Reminds me of a pig and jig large mouth style

They have a loop on the bottom to allow you attach extra weight so you can drop them as deep as you like. They are not jigged, rather retrieved slowly for 5-10 feet and then dropped back to the bottom.

zacs
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
SB.com west coast road trip ---> long range tuna boat anyone?:fishin:

I have connections:uhuh: