View Full Version : Layout dimensions and weighting

nightfighter
01-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Struggling with the testing. Fair amount of slush and ice in the harbor. Been down casting a couple times. Have to find a better way of attaching weights to body, as I am losing the weight more often then not.

Looking to assemble a library of approximate layouts, weighting and dimensions for as many plugs as I can get a hold of. Baselines to start with, not your final holy grail... The weighting options are throwing me for a loop. Not trying to knockoff anyone, just looking for some guidance on weight amounts and placement. I suck at R&D...

chefchris401
01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
When I'm test weighting I use 3M scotch tape, for whatever reason it sticks to the plugs really well.

I'm not usually looking for casting distance but more how the plug swims, rolls, etc.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
01-30-2011, 10:17 AM
ever seen those lead weight strips they attach to golf clubs

they have peel and stick ...for easy push on pull off

nightfighter
01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Going to do a search for some of those x-ray pics of plugs, as well as some of templates/layouts/dimensions. Otherwise I'm gonna have a bunch of plugs run through the bandsaw....:grins:

ProfessorM
01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Ross I have dimensions on tons of plugs. By most of the who's who of plugbuilding. Not a lot of the last 10 to 15 years guys but the guys before that which is what interests me most. Put all my own stuff down on paper too as I forget way too much and I suggest you do the same. Enough to keep you busy for years. Dim., weighting, lips, etc.. All in my special note book. I will bring it to plugfest and you can copy away. But I don't lend it out. It has been kind of a mission I've been on. I have been lucky enough to borrow 100's of plugs, been helped by some very smart and helpful guys and have access to 100's more if and when I need them. You are welcome to look and copy. One of those hand scanners would be helpful. Now getting them to swim and produce will be the challenge but I can at least get you on the dance floor with some of them.

nightfighter
01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Paul. I will take you up on that. Need to put more memory in the camera.....:grins:

pbadad
01-30-2011, 07:28 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/56389-cowboy.html

Check out the picture I posted a couple years ago on placing weights for testing with #4 screws and lead stick on wheel weights. they come in 7 gram segments. Cut to smaller if needed. drill hole in middle and make an awl hole in body in differtent spots. In harder wood I pre drill the holes. Once I fund the sweet spot mark on paper. Fill holes in body not used.

stripermaineiac
01-30-2011, 08:03 PM
One part of testing that I've found that needs more attention is when plug is done the weigth between paint ,epoxy and hooks changes drasticly compared to what the plug is like just sealed. An oldtimer told me to do it right make 12 bodies. Set up 2 with weights inplace and float in the tub to see how they set. Then finish them complete and test again to get boyancy tested so you'll see how the plug floats. There will be a difference. Take out and cast an retreive them.Keep good notes.take 2 more plugs-making sure you mark all so you don't mix them up,then try relocating weights keepin good notes on location of weights and depth in plug.Float test then finish and repeat float test.Go cast them and see the difference in how they run.You now have a very good base line to decide what you will want to do with the plug to make it swim deeper or track higher. The info you'll have will give you what you need for any plug of a simmilar style as far as how much difference each relocation made on how the plug acts.Something as simple as placing a heavier weight in front of a lighter one will make a huge diff on how a plug works.The other 8 you have left you can copy the best plug you like and make some to play with. Have fun with it but taking the time does have some fantastic benefits. Ron