View Full Version : GOV Deval Patrick Went to bat for fishermen?

Raven
02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
I just heard that announced on the news???

i can't believe it

striper774
02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I just heard that announced on the news???

i can't believe it

Neither can i.Sure you weren't having a nightmare?:grins:

Raven
02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Governor asks Obama's help in fishing dispute | SouthCoastToday.com (http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110201/NEWS/102010371)

likwid
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
You mean what Barney Frank did 2 weeks ago already?

Good to see people actually pay attention. :rotf2:

ecduzitgood
02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Well that helps a little in changing my opinion of them; but not enough for me to change my opposition to their being in office.

striper774
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for link.Read it,now maby when our grandchildren are grandparents it might be in effect.There's so much under the table in congress it makes me sceptical how and when they could come up with a solution that would benefit the fisherman and not the government.It always seems we are the after thought of what they will benefit from.Can't wait to see what they have to say next.

likwid
02-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Anyone heard from Scott Brown? :rotf2:

Raven
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
No, haven't heard a word from Scott Brown and i wrote him to get involved....

Barney Frank has been largely Ignored after his Maryjane appeal

WELL the BALL is in President BARRACK HUSEIN OBAMA'S court now!

likwid
02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Barney Frank has been largely Ignored after his Maryjane appeal

When it comes to MA fisheries?
Now thats laughable.

Barney Frank barks at Obama administr... - Google News (http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&cf=all&ncl=dHbSPEl_M7XwglM7ydUhhcWPq-SmM)

research &post.... crack later.

MikeToole
02-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm sure getting more of our political leaders involved will help.

Instead of managing fisheries in the best interest of getting a maximum yield over the long haul, they are trying to save jobs in a way that just can not happen. There are too many commercial fisherman for the amount of available fish. At least for any of them to make a good living. Puts people in a position that causes them to do things that a responsible fisherman would never do.

numbskull
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Why would recreational fishermen, or anyone who has had to buy seafood from stores at prices grossly inflated by overfishing over the last two decades, benefit from Mr Patrick's or Mr Frank's pressure to allow continued resource depletion?

robc22
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Why would recreational fishermen, or anyone who has had to buy seafood from stores at prices grossly inflated by overfishing over the last two decades, benefit from Mr Patrick's or Mr Frank's pressure to allow continued resource depletion?

You really think the fishing effort is inflating the prices!!...are you kidding me!!.....

Raven
02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
When it comes to MA fisheries?
Now thats laughable.

Barney Frank barks at Obama administr... - Google News (http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&cf=all&ncl=dHbSPEl_M7XwglM7ydUhhcWPq-SmM)

research &post.... crack later.

well spoken and
POINT TAKEN - LIKWID
I am surprised that none of the current B.F. statements
have been on any of the news channels.. :huh:
(Hence my Comment)
and i read all of them regularly..........

It sure is COMPLICATED -most of the time i cannot begin
to Understand any of it...so i refrain from the discussions -THANKS

likwid
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
well spoken and
POINT TAKEN - LIKWID
I am surprised that none of the current B.F. statements
have been on any of the news channels.. :huh:
(Hence my Comment)
and i read all of them regularly..........

It sure is COMPLICATED -most of the time i cannot begin
to Understand any of it...so i refrain from the discussions -THANKS

Nobody gives a damn about fish as long as they can go to the market and buy it.

pmueller
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't know, it seems a little ironic that the state with a very large commercial quota is asking the federal government for help with management.

likwid
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't know, it seems a little ironic that the state with a very large commercial quota is asking the federal government for help with management.

Dept of Commerce (NMFS) set the limits and quotas and zones.
Dept of Commerce isn't willing to go to the table to reorg and relook at the quotas or anything else.

Nebe
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
You really think the fishing effort is inflating the prices!!...are you kidding me!!.....

supply and demand. More fish- lower prices. less fish- higher prices.

that being said, its not premeditated... its just the way it is.

numbskull
02-01-2011, 03:47 PM

I wish I was, but sadly I am not.

Low supply is inflating prices, and excess fishing effort is the primary cause of low supply.

Irresponsible fishery management may help keep some fishermen in business, but it also costs the general public hundreds of millions of dollars in excess food costs (and the jobs those dollars would generate) each year.

Patrick and Frank receive substantial contributions from the commercial fishing industry. They realize the average citizen in the state, like yourself, is clueless as to how overfishing is costing each of us money, so they gleefully advocate for the commercial interest's priority at the cost to the rest of us (but at benefit to their own political future). Surprise, surprise, surprise.

BasicPatrick
02-02-2011, 01:39 AM
this is one of the issues I fight for and I am damn proud that there are a fe won this board that realize BF and the Governor are off the hook on this one. they do not understand that overfishing must end in order to have a sustainable anything in the future. They underestimate our ability to see they are only advocating for items that will increase the millionaires clubs in Gloucester and New Bedford and not give the small boat fleet any chance of brining back lost jobs. they got it wrong and should let the new system play out for a full year before placing judgement. Some boats are making good money. Some are not. That is capitalism, a free market and the American way working. Only in MA do teh Democrats fight for big business. FYI...sadly, Scott Brown is right in Barney's camp on this one.

JackK
02-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Unfortunately its true... if the quota is increased, do you think most of those financially ailing fishermen will go out and catch that extra 10,000 lb of fish? No- they're going to sell it to one of the high line boats, make some quick cash and their boat will remain tied up at the dock.

I'm sure some would go out and make more money by landing the fish, but the lure of easy money is too great, especially to those who have already sold large portions of their quota.

BP has it exactly right on this one. Let the system run its course for a full year (at least) before making a call on it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ivanputski
02-02-2011, 07:57 AM
It doesn't matter what Barney Frank says, because you cant understand a damn world coming out of his mouth...

JohnR
02-02-2011, 08:32 AM
this is one of the issues I fight for and I am damn proud that there are a fe won this board that realize BF and the Governor are off the hook on this one. they do not understand that overfishing must end in order to have a sustainable anything in the future. They underestimate our ability to see they are only advocating for items that will increase the millionaires clubs in Gloucester and New Bedford and not give the small boat fleet any chance of brining back lost jobs. they got it wrong and should let the new system play out for a full year before placing judgement. Some boats are making good money. Some are not. That is capitalism, a free market and the American way working. Only in MA do teh Democrats fight for big business. FYI...sadly, Scott Brown is right in Barney's camp on this one.

:btu:

Unfortunately its true... if the quota is increased, do you think most of those financially ailing fishermen will go out and catch that extra 10,000 lb of fish? No- they're going to sell it to one of the high line boats, make some quick cash and their boat will remain tied up at the dock.

I'm sure some would go out and make more money by landing the fish, but the lure of easy money is too great, especially to those who have already sold large portions of their quota.

BP has it exactly right on this one. Let the system run its course for a full year (at least) before making a call on it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

:btu:

BasicPatrick
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry for my frequent speed typing errors....i am going to fast and need to slow down