View Full Version : Live Redgill presentation w/ DZ right now

saltwateredge
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
DZ is live on Red Gills:

Edge Angling Live (http://www.edgeangling.com/Live.html)

Thumper
02-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Great job DZ!!

Nebe
02-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I braved the tundra to be there. Dennis was great as always.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Crafty Angler
02-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Great presentation, Dennis...:kewl:...caught it at home on the live feed

When Dennis said he was still using Redgills that were 30 years old, one guy in the live chat said, Wow he's got Redgills older than I am...:rotflmao:

The story about Uncle Zeke hooking a bass with one in the water while trying to pick out a birds-nest was classic...:hihi:

Gonna have to give him a call about that one

cow tamer
02-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Nice presentation DZ.
Thanks SWE (EA).

PRBuzz
02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Listened from home, thanks DZ. I even placed an order for red gills to give them a try...willing to try anything and everything next season.:uhuh:

DZ
02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Not sure how good the video feed was in showing detail of how they're rigged. Here is a short expalnation of the rigging process.

I would like to thank Tony Chiarappo and Steve McKenna for their valued input.

DZ

PRBuzz
02-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Not sure how good the video feed was in showing detail of how they're rigged. Here is a short expalnation of the rigging process.

I would like to thank Tony Chiarappo and Steve McKenna for their valued input.

DZ

Thanks a bunch for the doc! The visual details were fuzzy even in HD (or maybe I wasn't wearing my glasses) but your verbal description was excellent.

zacs
02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
bummer I missed it.

DZ, what is the difference between the two methods? I assume it must have some kind of impact on the action of the redgil? I have always used method 1 with the 34007s. Are there different situations/conditions that would call for the different riggings, or what?

DZ
02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
bummer I missed it.

DZ, what is the difference between the two methods? I assume it must have some kind of impact on the action of the redgil? I have always used method 1 with the 34007s. Are there different situations/conditions that would call for the different riggings, or what?

Zac,
No difference in action. I personally prefer method #2 leaving the hook eye exposed. This method is easier for me to make adjustments/rig in the field. There are occasions while using red gills that I will put them on and take them off multiple times as fishing dictates (Examples: different structure, whether a long cast is needed, etc). In those instances I just clip off the gill at the knot and leave the tag end of the dropper leader attached to the swivel and continue casting with plug or eel only. When I feel the need to re-attach the gill I just retie it to the existing dropper leader. Much easier for me than trying to navigate leader material through the nose of the red gill at night on a slippery rock with waves crashing. Again, just personal preference for what works for me. Absolutely nothing wrong with the traditional rigging method. The real key is to make sure and use strong, sharp hooks. I gave two hook recommendations - the Mustad 34007 and the C68S which is a fly tying hook developed for Tarpon. The C68 is 2X strong and will probably hold any size bass you're likely to encounter. There are other hook models which will also be adequate.

The Red Gill has seen a resurgence of use the last few seasons by a few casters "in the know". When bass are on them it's pretty much automatic. They catch a ton of school fish but cows will also eat them with gusto.

DZ