View Full Version : FISHIN LICENCES

xyzs
02-07-2011, 10:18 PM
TO ALL
THE FISH AND WILDLIFE WILL BE THEIR AT THE MSBA EXPO YOU CAN BY YOUR FISHING LICENCES THEIR YOU MUST BRING A CHECK STILL $10.00 NO PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!

ecduzitgood
02-07-2011, 10:29 PM
TO ALL
THE FISH AND WILDLIFE WILL BE THEIR AT THE MSBA EXPO YOU CAN BY YOUR FISHING LICENCES THEIR YOU MUST BRING A CHECK STILL $10.00 NO CASH OR CHECK !!!!!!!!!

Confused:confused:

Redsoxticket
02-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Checks only
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnyD
02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
TO ALL
THE FISH AND WILDLIFE WILL BE THEIR AT THE MSBA EXPO YOU CAN BY YOUR FISHING LICENCES THEIR YOU MUST BRING A CHECK STILL $10.00 NO CASH OR CHECK !!!!!!!!!

http://blog.markcondon.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/yelling.gif

numbskull
02-08-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm still a bit confused about this.

What do I have to do if a summer guest wants to go fishing on short notice (you know, like a 2 hour after dinner spur of the moment beach walk to throw some plugs). Is there some sort of transferable guest pass you can buy?

How about when 4-5 college kids show up and decide they want to go chase bluefish or bonito for an afternoon? Is there a boat pass?

10 bucks for me, another 10 each for my three sons, seems OK, but having to buy licenses in advance for any guests that might or might not like to tag along will add up quickly.

BigFish
02-08-2011, 07:24 AM
I think they are still free this year...you just have to give them $10.00. They accept check only or money but no cash. Hope this clears things up?:rotf2:

MAKAI
02-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Now my advice for those who die,
Declare the pennies on your eyes,
'Cause I'm the Taxman,
Yeah I'm the Taxman.

All it is, no more, no less. :bshake:

vineyardblues
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
:fishin:I like the Reciprocity Act of 2011 lol

Slipknot
02-08-2011, 12:00 PM

What do I have to do if a summer guest wants to go fishing on short notice (you know, like a 2 hour after dinner spur of the moment beach walk to throw some plugs). Is there some sort of transferable guest pass you can buy?

How about when 4-5 college kids show up and decide they want to go chase bluefish or bonito for an afternoon? Is there a boat pass?

10 bucks for me, another 10 each for my three sons, seems OK, but having to buy licenses in advance for any guests that might or might not like to tag along will add up quickly.

don't worry about it, if questioned, just say they are under 16 or disabled.

xyzs
02-08-2011, 01:24 PM

GO ON LINE AND PRINT 0UT LICENCES AND YOUR GOOD TO GO ADD 10.00+$1.58/now he owes you $$$$$$

Pete F.
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
What would you do if you had a house on a lake?

5/0
02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I really don't mind paying & I will,but this is all a load of crap!! I can see it now every effin year its going up and up and we will never see justice to where the "So called money going in the right place"!
It seems that every year things go up but our income:fury:

PRBuzz
02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
There should be a John and/or Jane Doe provision which allows a boat owner (private vessel) to purchase at their discretion some number of licenses to permit guests on one day per season trips. I would expect anyone on my boat that plans to fish more than once to purchase their own.

Yes the chance of getting inspected/caught is low but........

BigFish
02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
And you boat owners......will you be verifying your guests as to their permit status and if you are carrying someone without a permit who is fishing are you held accountable at all???

Ed B
02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
What would you do if you had a house on a lake?

My uncle had a small cottage on a pond in Mass. We (adults and kids) went by the rules of the state of Massachusetts. It was pretty simple really. If you are 15 or older and wanted to fish, you got a license.

I know people like to complain because that is what we like to do but really you make a good point PeteF, this is pretty simple stuff.

Mr. Sandman
02-09-2011, 10:41 AM

At the MV Surfcasters Annual Banquet this year the local EPO (MA) talked about the lic.

Here is what I took away:

Everyone must have a lic. those under 16 or over 65 do not pay for one but must have one anyway. You can get one online but there is a "convenience fee" even if it is free.

I think it is 10 bucks for everyone else.

There is a boat lic but that is for lic'ed charter capt's and covers everyone on board. I don't think there is a boat lic for for rec fishermen.

I think you will be able to get them at tackle stores at some point.

He said the entire reason for this lic is to create a list of fishermen (name address, phone credit card numbers etc) and this list will be given to the Feds. They will call you (at the dinner time hour) to query you on your fishing habits/success. According to him the money will go to create the list and pay for the web site. Any remaining monies will go to the access fund. No money will be going to enforcement of this. As of right now he said there is actually NO law written and there is technically nothing to enforce. (But it is coming) BTW, Rate hikes are already in the works for coming years.

JackK
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I could really care less about the license... I know that it'll likely go up year by year, and that'll get frustrating, but I like the fact that it'll go to a dedicated fund and those that fish will hopefully see some benefits in the form of increased enforcement, better shoreline access, etc etc from it. I don't get all the hooplah over a dollar and change 'convenience' fee, I'd spend more in gas going somewhere to pick it up.

What I'm still unsure of is reciprocity. VB, where did you get that image from? The Mass DMF website reads:

Who needs the MA Recreational Saltwater Fishing Permit?
In order to fish recreationally for finfish in Massachusetts marine waters, including up to the first dam in rivers and streams that flow to the ocean (click here for exceptions to the rule pdf icon), saltwater fishermen must have:

* A MA Recreational Saltwater Fishing permit, or
* A recreational saltwater fishing permit from a state that has a reciprocity agreement with Massachusetts. As of January 1, 2011, Massachusetts has reciprocity agreements with:
New Hampshire

Doesn't say anything about RI waters. I fish RI often, so this is a concern to me. RI DEM states:

Where does the license apply?

RI waters: RI's recreational fishing license applies in all of RI's marine waters, which begin at the inland edge of all tidal water areas and extend seaward out to three miles. The defined boundaries separating RI's freshwaters and saltwaters can be found in section 2.6 of DEM's Freshwater and Anadromous Fishing Regulations.

Federal waters: The RI license also applies in all offshore federal waters, which extend seaward from the seaward edge of all state waters.

Other state waters: The RI license also applies in the state waters of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York, as well as in the waters of all other states that honor RI's license (a list of all other states will be provided here as soon as information on those states is collected).

So... As I see it now, an RI license works in RI, MA, CT, and NY, but a MA license only works in MA & NH. Can anyone clarify?

Mr. Sandman
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
but I like the fact that it'll go to a dedicated fund and those that fish will hopefully see some benefits in the form of increased enforcement, better shoreline access, etc etc from it.

:rotf2::biglaugh::rotf2: You are living in a dream world.

JackK
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I hope you're not right... I know it's mandated that it goes into a dedicated fund per Magnuson-Stevens, so it can't (legally) be used to pad politician's pockets, but who knows what'll happen once it's in there... :huh:

numbskull
02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I know people like to complain because that is what we like to do but really you make a good point PeteF, this is pretty simple stuff.

Not that simple to me. Can you answer me this?

If someone is caught fishing on my boat using gear I have provided without a license (even if I have one) what, as the boat owner, is my liability? Do I lose my gear? Do I have to stop fishing as long as he is on board?

5/0
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
:rotf2::biglaugh::rotf2: You are living in a dream world.
Exactly
I hope you're not right... I know it's mandated that it goes into a dedicated fund per Magnuson-Stevens, so it can't (legally) be used to pad politician's pockets, but who knows what'll happen once it's in there... :huh:

How long have you lived in MA.?
Here's an example look at the fresh water license that went up over the years,and for the past 10 years you are forced into buying a water foul license.WTF is that for I don't own a gun which equals no hunting(in this case) so necessitating that license would be pointless:smash:

Or look at the MA. Pike that bill has been on the chopping block for years,it was paid off 7 years ago and the tolls should of been dropped,but it has repeatedly been denied each time it goes up for termination.
Point beaning if the money collected went to where it should have the toll should be eliminated,but as always in this liberal and corrupt State,we the Tax Payers get the Royal shaft:humpty:just sand no lube to easy the entry:)

JackK
02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

About a year :wall: :biglaugh:

Finaddict
02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Exactly

Here's an example look at the fresh water license that went up over the years,and for the past 10 years you are forced into buying a water foul license.WTF is that for I don't own a gun which equals no hunting(in this case) so necessitating that license would be pointless:smash:

Or look at the MA. Pike that bill has been on the chopping block for years,it was paid off 7 years ago and the tolls should of been dropped,but it has repeatedly been denied each time it goes up for termination.
Point beaning if the money collected went to where it should have the toll should be eliminated,but as always in this liberal and corrupt State,we the Tax Payers get the Royal shaft:humpty:just sand no lube to easy the entry:)

Also - MA is so hurting for money ... they will suck it from wherever they can grab it ... and then they will waste it ...

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Still gotta pay off the largest, most expensive highway restructuring in the world.

Could have gotten rid of those tolls 7 years ago if the state didn't allow 300% in overages for the Big Dig.

Ed B
02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Not that simple to me. Can you answer me this?

If someone is caught fishing on my boat using gear I have provided without a license (even if I have one) what, as the boat owner, is my liability? Do I lose my gear? Do I have to stop fishing as long as he is on board?

You have to stop fishing for the rest of your life. :uhuh:

I know you want to bait me into a legal discussion numbskull, but I just don't see this as something that is that difficult. I have to believe that F&W officers encounter these situations all the time with fresh water fishing.

If a person were on my 12 ft fishing vessel who did not have a license I would tell them they could not fish. This is what I have done in the past and I didn't find that complicated.

Certainly you can come up with hypotheticals though, give them a trial run on the water, and let he F&W officer decide who to fine.

numbskull
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm not trying to bait you, I'm trying to get you to think.

I agree it is not that difficult to follow the letter of the law. Anybody I want to take fishing I just need to buy them a license. That, however, is a strong disincentive against taking people fishing.

Over the decades I (and most other boat owners I know) have taken many dozens of people who are not fishermen, fishing. Most have enjoyed it. Already I am paying for fuel, tackle, and often food. Shelling out another $10/person adds up quickly when taking 3-4 people out. Becomes another hassle, another expense, and therefore another reason not to do it.

To compare this law to freshwater laws is simplistic. Freshwater fees pay for stocking, access, and enforcement. This saltwater law is ostensibly only to create a registry to allow better data acquisition. If I am a private boat owner, shouldn't I be able to satisfy that requirement without requiring every person fishing with me once per summer to pay a fee. Likewise, the idea that I may be responsible for checking the license status of anyone who fishes on my boat ( if in fact that is required.....I remain unsure that it is) seems a slippery slope indeed.

Ed B
02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=numbskull;835969]I'm not trying to bait you, I'm trying to get you to think.

I truly appreciate your attempt to get me out of your perception of my non-thinking mode. But, I am sitting at my desk right now with plumes of smoke coming out of my ears as I think away and the top of my head is sweating like I'm eating hot mexican food.

You say that to compare this law to freshwater laws is simplistic. I disagree. I grew up inland, in Worcester, freshwater fishing and continue to freshwater fish. Everybody who fishes inland faces exactly the same scenarios as you describe every summer. The law says get a license. It doesn't matter if you are only going one time to catch sunfish with a bobber and worm or have a $30,000 Ranger bassboat. Whoever you take out be it on fourth of July weekend at the lakeside barbecue or whatever, if they fish they need a license.
That probably does discourage some people from fishing, but what can you do.

I am not saying we should like it or agree with it and I see the inconvienience of it, but I don't see it as complicated unless your planning not to conform to the law.

JohnnyD
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
You say that to compare this law to freshwater laws is simplistic. I disagree. I grew up inland, in Worcester, freshwater fishing and continue to freshwater fish. Everybody who fishes inland faces exactly the same scenarios as you describe every summer. The law says get a license. It doesn't matter if you are only going one time to catch sunfish with a bobber and worm or have a $30,000 Ranger bassboat. Whoever you take out be it on fourth of July weekend at the lakeside barbecue or whatever, if they fish they need a license.
That probably does discourage some people from fishing, but what can you do.

I am not saying we should like it or agree with it and I see the inconvienience of it, but I don't see it as complicated unless your planning not to conform to the law.
I'm not trying to defend anyone but I think numbskull's mindset going into this SW license is similar to mine.

When I buy my freshwater license, I pay for it without any reservation. I know that money from the license is helping fund the trout/salmon stocking programs, keep boat ramps maintained in semi-usable shape and other useful funding programs.

On the other hand, I despise having to pay the $10 for my saltwater license. Why? Because the government is making me pay $10 to put my name on a list for their own ineffective research.

Here's how I see it playing out when the registry folks call fishermen.
Call someone who wants to prevent further limits on the fisher: "Yeah. I'm having an excellent year. Fish all over the place. Seems like there's nowhere you can go and not catch fish."
Call someone who doesn't care about keeping fish and wants gamefish status: "I fish 100 days per year and I'm having the worst year fishing than I've had in a long time. Seems like every year just keeps gets worse."

"Only believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear."
Using the general public's personal accounts is nonsense. You can't expect people to give reliable information (knowingly or unknowingly) in order to produce effective scientific research. How will they include the information from these surveys? "Well, from phone surveys conducted, the general consensus is that the Striped Bass are doing great."

I'm paying $10 towards an ineffective system that has been hastily enacted and, in my opinion, will not provide any lasting benefit to the fishing community aside from politicians finally realizing how many voters fish.