View Full Version : Discount beer, does it have a discount taste?

PRBuzz
02-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Side note: who is not buying their fair share?:biglaugh:

Anyone care for a Buck Range Light or a Big Flats?

Few beer drinkers have heard that question. But the new brands from retail giants Supervalu Inc. and Walgreen Co. are part of a growing effort by chain stores to make a hit of private-label beer, a category that has proved difficult for retailers.

Supervalu, the third-largest U.S. grocery chain by revenue, began selling Buck Range Light, a low-priced domestic brew, in December. Drugstore chain Walgreens recently began offering Big Flats 1901 for as little as $2.99 a six pack.

Costco, the Issaquah, Wash., warehouse club, rolled out craft beers under its Kirkland Signature brand in December 2008.

The retailers are trying to tempt shoppers with lower-priced alternatives to domestic mass-market brews such as MillerCoors LLC's Keystone Light. The effort comes amid declining sales volumes for the beer industry, which has been hurt by stubbornly high unemployment.

What's are the unemployed drinking, vodka or whiskey?

JohnR
02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
The retailers are trying to tempt shoppers with lower-priced alternatives to domestic mass-market brews such as MillerCoors LLC's Keystone Light.

You are in an interesting demographic group when the standard bearer is Keystone Light. :buds:

The Dad Fisherman
02-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Remember that Sam Adams is a Domestic Mass Market Beer

fishbones
02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
You are in an interesting demographic group when the standard bearer is Keystone Light. :buds:

That was one of the better beers for us in college.:rotf2: We also drank Piels, Koch Golden Anniversary, Milwaukees Best, Genessee and more that I have undoubtedly blocked from my memory.

I read a review a while back about the beer being made for Trader Joes being pretty good. I think they had a regular and a light lager and it was priced very competitively. I'll have to have my wife check on it when she goes there again.

The Dad Fisherman
02-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Trader Joes supposedly has a Wine...2 Buck Chuck...thats supposed to be pretty good.

Backbeach Jake
02-16-2011, 06:14 PM
That would be 3 buck chuck now...there's a nice variety and for the money is excellant and better than some 8-10 buck vinos. The beer ain't half bad neither.

spence
02-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Remember that Sam Adams is a Domestic Mass Market Beer

Yes, but it also transformed an industry!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device