View Full Version : Through drilling process

nightfighter
02-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Been doing it on a drillpress. But got a MT2 chuck for the lathe and wanted to give it a try... I know there was a discussion years ago about whether the plug should be turning, or the drill.... I saw this video a while back and tried it his way, but was unsuccessful, as I couldn't keep the plug turning. It would spin off the spur. What is your take on this?

YouTube - Wood Striper Lure Building PT 3 (Thru-Drilling/Wiring) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTbf_bFGb3s&NR=1)

Still have a LOT of the process ahead of me...Still turning and drilling at this point. Need to order materials too...longer spurless 5/32 drill bit, weights, wires, grommets etc. And my paints have gone to hell too.... i suck.

blondterror
02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I use a chuck to grab the lure . Turn a round tenon at the ends and grab it with a 4 jaw chuck (Nova, tecknatool, PSI, One way) You can get one for about 50-70 bills and you will use it a lot. The drill should be stationary and the tail stock allows you to advance the drill with its adjustment. You will need to back out the drill several times to clear the bit. A lot of people just drill partially from each end on the lathe and then meet in the middle using a DP with a 8" 5/32 bit.

Slipknot
02-08-2011, 07:14 PM
ah Ross, put the drill bit in the other end!!!!
much safer

I've been doing that all day today, I like thru drilling on the lathe.

If the chuck is in the business end, then the plug does not spin. If you do offset drilling as in metal lip plugs, you'll be able to do it otherwise the plug would wobble off center dangerously.

Needles and poppers are easy
you'll get the hang of it quickly

WoodyCT
02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Bit in chuck in head stock.
Plug in left hand pushing it against tail stock.
Right hand on tail stock sliding it along the lathe rail. A little carnuba wax on the rails helps.
Drill a 1/4-1/2" and pull out to clear the cuttings.
Repeat until through or can't drill deeper.
Switch plug end for end and finish it off.

I always wear a face shield doing this, but have never needed it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slipknot
02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
I always wear a face shield doing this, but have never needed it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Good, and if you did it the other way, you would definately need it as some others have found.

there's a pic someplace of a drill bit mangled because of doing it the other way.

Woody is right Ross, guide the plug in the left hand and use your right hand to slide to tailstock.

nightfighter
02-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks all. Just did a few as you suggested. Worked well. Will work better once I wax the bed..... Inventory needs are tailweights, long drill bit, and swivels. Feeling like crap. Nothing more for tonight.

Ryan560
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
wd-40 on the lathe bed helps, and it will help keep the bed from getting surface rust. Also put some on the tool rest if you use one

adson
02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
am I the only one that get a squeal from the drill bit when doing this ?
way too loud, I can stop it with WD40 on the bit but that only lasts for a plug or two...

blondterror
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
adson if you lower you rpm the squeal may go away... wood bit work best around 400-600rpm

Slipknot
02-09-2011, 08:49 AM
am I the only one that get a squeal from the drill bit when doing this ?
way too loud, I can stop it with WD40 on the bit but that only lasts for a plug or two...

After you put the bit in, run the tailstock down to the bit and see if they line up. The 2 points must be real close to lining up to each other if you want your holes to line up and meet in the middle.
Squealing seems to happen when the bit wanders and bends.

I wouldn't put oil on the bit, it'll transfer to the wood and effect the painting process possibly.

ProfessorM
02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
squeal is probably dull drill, too high RPM's, or not removing chips often enough. I like to use about 1400 rpm's for soft wood and a little lower for hard woods.

Ross when you are holding the plug in your left hand, and pushing the tail stock with your right, you can let go just a little bit, still keeping hand around and riding on the spinning plug, so that you can tell you are drilling it true, straight. I do this several times just for a few seconds to see how I am doing. A constant grab and release of the plug as I drill. I am not saying let go and walk away just a light touch on the plug so it can spin. On lipped plugs, or below or above center lined front line ties I drill only from the rear to the front belly hook hole. I do all my line tie drilling on the front of the plug with a hand drill to meet up in the front belly hook hole. Center lined thru drilled plugs I do from both sides on the lathe and meet in center, hopefully. Every once in awhile I have a miss drill but I salvage it somehow. Real soft woods give me the most grief, hardwoods second. AYC I very rarely have a problem as it is IMO the best wood for machining, a pleasure to work with.

numbskull
02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
I've never drilled a plug on a lathe, seems way too much trouble.
A drill press with a centered bit to drill pilot holes, then connect with a hand drill works for me.....until the bit dulls at least.

BigFish
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Ditto what George said!:uhuh:

ProfessorM
02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm just the opposite , it is so easy and fast I can't see why anyone would use a drill press.:)

Variety is the spice of life

Pete F.
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Tried both, I do it on the lathe.

Back Beach
02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm just the opposite , it is so easy and fast I can't see why anyone would use a drill press.:)

Me too. If I can do it, anyone can...tried with the drill press and got AFU, so started using the lathe and haven't misdrilled many.

Rockfish9
02-09-2011, 12:36 PM
squeal is probably dull drill, too high RPM's, or not removing chips often enough. I like to use about 1400 rpm's for soft wood and a little lower for hard woods.

Ross when you are holding the plug in your left hand, and pushing the tail stock with your right, you can let go just a little bit, still keeping hand around and riding on the spinning plug, so that you can tell you are drilling it true, straight. I do this several times just for a few seconds to see how I am doing. A constant grab and release of the plug as I drill. I am not saying let go and walk away just a light touch on the plug so it can spin. On lipped plugs, or below or above center lined front line ties I drill only from the rear to the front belly hook hole. I do all my line tie drilling on the front of the plug with a hand drill to meet up in the front belly hook hole. Center lined thru drilled plugs I do from both sides on the lathe and meet in center, hopefully. Every once in awhile I have a miss drill but I salvage it somehow. Real soft woods give me the most grief, hardwoods second. AYC I very rarely have a problem as it is IMO the best wood for machining, a pleasure to work with.

This is EXACTLY the same way i do it.. i use alot of WRC and have very few problems ,maple seems the most problematic... but with a slower speed and feed rate, i get through most maple plugs with out trouble... i do my drilling on an older mono tube craftsman with a sled i made ( An Idea spawned from Lu at last plugfest) so I can use a longer bit...

eskimo
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
night fighter do you still have the shopsmith?..I never found anything better to through drill with. super long throw and if you used the table saw platform your hand can rest on it. wish I never got rid of mine, I would have used it just for drilling.

Now, I use my drill press out of preference. I prefer to drill then boar. Never liked pushing the tailstock of my lathe. I actually just stick my live center into my drill press platform and drill away.

Fishoholic
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
I just hold'em in my hand and use a cordless drill :)

Charleston
02-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Amazing reading this Paul. I do the same exact thing. I wonder why that is? :rotf2:

nightfighter
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Nope. My Shopsmith now belongs to Striperman Bill....

UserRemoved
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Ross someday you gotta come down the shop and see how I do it. 6 seconds

ding :hee:

nightfighter
02-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I'd like that Scott. I was watching the cnc video the other day. Crazy! Looking into some new tools, as mine suck. I don't have a true roughing gouge. Been using my assortment of bowl gouges....:smash: With Plugfest coming up, and work having been a little crazy, I'm pretty frustrated about my slow progress right now.....

O.D. Mike
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I just hold'em in my hand and use a cordless drill :)

Me too, Me too

mfm22
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
I do same as woody .. hold lure in left hand ..I watch bit as it feeds into hook holes.
I will start with short bit then go longer.
The Drill press works fine if you have enough room between table and chuck ...I do not...Griz 12" table top ..
A floor /standing drill press would be the way to go

PRBuzz
02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Me too, Me too

Knowing what I know, please make sure I'm NOT around when you do that.....:rotf2: