View Full Version : $5 gasoline, Who cares?

PRBuzz
02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Prototype gets 100 miles on 4 oz, of water!

YouTube - Water Powered Vehicle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImGaraPrEo8)

NEBE: might help in you shop too?

Slipknot
02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I've been waiting for this since I was a kid
it's about time someone came up with it.

got to be more to it than just starting out with water

HHO, how do you get from H2O to that?:confused:

this country should do all they can to market this and get it in cars and more, and own the rights to it for a very long time, maybe it will help get us out of this bad economy once the idiot politicians learn from their mistakes :wall:

Nebe
02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Not so fast! The amount of electricity needed to separate the hydrogen from water is immense. To put it into perspective, you need to spend 10 cents worth of electricity to yield 5 cents of hydrogen.

This is basically fuel cell technology.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
02-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Politicians don't learn from their Mistakes unfortunately

PRBuzz
02-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Not so fast! The amount of electricity needed to separate the hydrogen from water is immense. To put it into perspective, you need to spend 10 cents worth of electricity to yield 5 cents of hydrogen.

For further reading:

Hydrogen economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy)

Not sure I would agree with "basically this is fuel cell tech". It is electrolysis of water to hydrogen. Hydrogen does store approximately 2.6 times the energy per unit mass as gasoline and IF primary energy source (solar) is used to produce electricity then potential is getting near feasibility.

OLD GOAT
02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
How does Iceland do it???? There running on hydrogen

PRBuzz
02-13-2011, 01:16 PM
How does Iceland do it???? There running on hydrogen

Renewable energy in Iceland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_Iceland)

Currently, imported oil fulfils most of Iceland's remaining energy needs. This cost has caused Iceland to focus on domestic, renewable energy. Bragi Arnason, a local professor, first proposed the idea of using hydrogen as a fuel source in Iceland during the 1970s, which is also when the oil crisis occurred. At that point in time this idea was considered untenable, but in 1999 Icelandic New Energy was established to govern the project of transitioning Iceland into the first hydrogen society by 2050.[9] This followed a decision in 1998 by the Icelandic Parliament to convert vehicle and fishing fleets to hydrogen produced from renewable energy.[10]
Iceland provides an ideal location to test the viability of hydrogen as a fuel source for the future, since it is a small country of only 300,000 people, with over 60% living in the capital, Reykjavík. The relatively small scale of the infrastructure will make it easier to transition the country from oil to hydrogen. There is also a plentiful supply of natural energy that can be harnessed to produce hydrogen in a renewable way, making it perfect for hydrogen production. Iceland is a participant in international hydrogen fuel research and development programs, and many countries are following the nation's progress with interest. However, these factors also make Iceland an advantageous market for electric vehicles. Because electric vehicles are becoming available sooner than hydrogen vehicles, the country may switch to electric vehicles.[11]
Iceland already converts its surplus electricity into exportable goods and hydrocarbon replacements. In 2002 it produced 2,000 tons of hydrogen gas by electrolysis—primarily for the production of ammonia for fertilizer.

Saltheart
02-13-2011, 01:46 PM
People have talked about Hydrolizing water to then burn it back to water for many decades. This guy is not new news. I have seen him on TV before when he was just pushing the torch. I'm not saying he's a fraud , just that he's been around before. I think in fact he's legitimate.

One way to look at the energy balance is simply that it takes more energy to crack the water than you get back when you burn the Hydrogen and Oxygen back together. In this way its a net loss. Now suppose you burn say coal , to produce the energy to make this HHO and burn the HHO in cars. Well now maybe it makes economic sense if the unit of energy per amount of coal costs the same or less than the mobil fuel source HHO. In other words you build a big coal fired plant to make the electricity to manufactue the more portable HHO fuel.

Now leap ahead , someone mentioned solar power to crack the HHO. That may be a good idea. You have solar cells generating electricity all day that is at too low a power level to say run your whole house. However , it could be used to fill storagae tanks with HHO. So the HHO acts as a way to store the solar energy and its a portable form that can be burned to generate very high power levels as needed for short periods of time vs the low power level but long duration solar.

Now fast forward again to Hydrogen Fusion reactors. When we get them , and we will soemday , then there is no end to the amount of energy we can generate. the problem is getting it from the hydrogen fusion reactor to your house and car. So you generate electricity at the reactor facility and then use it to crack the hater to hydrogen and oxygen. You then burn them at home for heat , in your car for transportation and in hydrogen fuel Cells for electricity. Whereever the primary source of the energy is , most would agree that cracking and reburning water will be the way to make that energy useful and portable for people to use at home , on the roads , etc.

PRBuzz
02-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Since when did taking more energy and costs to produce than what you get out ever stop the government or industry from moving forward, example ETHANOL!

I think the key point is a totally renewable and environmentally friendly energy source....how do you put a price on that?

I think although this guy has been around for a while, it does take time to develop, prove and get support for disruptive technologies. It will not be another Cold Fusion IMO.

5/0
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Not to be a turd in the pool,but WTF are you kidding me?!?
it's 2011 for the past three decades many student from MIT,Burkley and South CA have come up with many vehicles that get over 100 MPG.This is all a farce,Every so often the media comes up with the "new future" motor and it's just nationalization for some big wig who owns multi billions in the oil business and then he is told to buy the rights to this up and coming new trend.so he offers the young student multi millions for the blueprints and it tossed in the trash or he wipes his arse with it..........

Don't get me wrong I'M all for a better place to live but come on,this is old news and nothing ever comes of it!
7 years ago three students from MIT came up with and made a prototype tire that would do over a Million miles.....Think about it,you could will these to your kids.So the bottom line is what kind of money would the tire Co. make off of this....Nada!

Tagger
02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
There's too much money in oil to let this become reallity..

Saltheart
02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
When a fusion reactor is finally operated successfully , no oil company or car company etc will be able to get in the way of the utilization of the suddenly massive amounts of energy available. Oil will be relegated to the role of lubrication and a source for hydrocarbons to produce plastics etc. Its role as a fuel will simply disappear in the country where fusion is harnessed.

That's my look into the crystal ball, I may be wrong.

There are so many possibilities that could arrise . Someone bmay find out that rollingb water over grren rabbit turds catalyzes the electrolysis to HHO with no other energy needed. Of course Green Rabbit Turds will go up in value if that happens. :) I just think that since fusion appears to be the ultimate energy source in our solar system , it stands to reason that it will eventually be the ultimate energy source we harvest.

Raven
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
the future is ALgae

Mr. Sandman
02-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Another thing is hydrogen is a relatively low energy density (compared to gasoline) ...meaning you have to carry around A LOT MORE of it to equal a tank full of gas AND the performance of you vehicle will kind of suck...don't expect any 0-60 record breakers.

Thank you NEBE!! As soon as I heard this I said...Yeah-but....if you include the energy to break down water into its components yeah, you can burn H and O in a car or torch but the "NET ENERGY" consumed is not economically feasible. This would have been done LOOOOOOOONG ago, this is not new.

It pisses me off to see infomercials like this because it misleads the general public. IMO it is irresponsible and those people should be stiffly fined for doing a disservice to the community.

Mr. Sandman
02-14-2011, 03:47 PM
When a fusion reactor is finally operated successfully , no oil company or car company etc will be able to get in the way of the utilization of the suddenly massive amounts of energy available. Oil will be relegated to the role of lubrication and a source for hydrocarbons to produce plastics etc. Its role as a fuel will simply disappear in the country where fusion is harnessed.

That's my look into the crystal ball, I may be wrong.

You are 100% correct Sir. This is, without question the earths ultimate energy and when it is figured out (and it will be but we will be dead and gone) energy will be basically so cheap it will be a non-issue. Everything will be electric and fossil fuels will not be burned, used for plastics and such as you point out.
I wish the gov't would put some real money into research because this is do-able within a few hundred years. (and oil/gas/coal will get us to this point so I am not worried about mankind)

Saltheart
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
It may be a couple hundred years but it could be much sooner. Some little spark of genius could leap us forward suddenly and maybe unexpectedly far. The human brain is capable of some incredible things. I wouldn't bet against it. :)