View Full Version : Star Rods Stellar Surf

basswipe
02-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Anybody have any experience with these rods?

Looking to get a decent rod that won't break the bank with a decent warranty.I'm specifically looking at the 9' 2pc medium action model. There's a good chance I'll be working a fair distance from home this spring/summer and will be travelling in a company vehicle and space is really meant for tools not fishing gear.

I have a spare Spheros 8000 I'll probably hang on it.It seems to balance well on just about any 9'er its been on.

Nebe
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
They make a great boat rod!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rob Rockcrawler
02-13-2011, 12:11 PM
A couple of my buddies use them a lot and love them. I think they have the 10'.

RIROCKHOUND
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
BW:
I know based on my politics my opion doesn't matter :love:
but Tsunami makes some 3pcs 8-10ft surf rods that I've traveled with for short money... Make a PVC tube for them, and you can store them in tight spaces with no danger of crushing them (like truck boxes etc...)... I've caught sharks close to 100lbs on them down south and they held up fine.

basswipe
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Rock,forgot about Tsunami rods.They had them for very short money two years ago at the RISAA show.Bought a little 2pc 7' airwave rod for early season fishing and its done well for me.Was looking at the Tica Dolphin series rods but they're actually more expensive that the Stars and no lifetime warranty.

I guess my big thing is finding one rod that can cover a variety of plugging situations.So far the Stellar seems to be a good fit but if I could find a dealer that actually sells/carries the Quarrow line of rods I'd jump on that in a heartbeat,especially if it were the older Green Country ML1 rods.Love my 10' Quarrow.

I still have time.I'll shop the RISAA show and see what I come up with.

Redsoxticket
02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Go with the Stellar Lite, Fuji seat, Fuji hardloy guides nice black/ gold wraps.

I have both the Stellar lite and Star delux in 8 ft. The delux was a special run with cork tape instead of foam, purchased the last two according Star Rods.

basswipe
02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Go with the Stellar Lite, Fuji seat, Fuji hardloy guides nice black/ gold wraps.

I have both the Stellar lite and Star delux in 8 ft. The delux was a special run with cork tape instead of foam, purchased the last two according Star Rods.

The Stellar Surf comes with Pacbay guides.I've heard mixed reviews on these guides but the great price/lifetime warranty is very enticing.

tysdad115
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I use an 11' Stellar 3-8 oz. I like the rod, never had anything else to compare it though. For me it was priced right and feels good. Cast great and handles fish big to small no problem.

Redsoxticket
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Here is a photo of the my stellar light guides Fuji guides

Photo will be shown soon having trouble uploading

Redsoxticket
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Fuji guides as written on the frame

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/RedSoxTicket/SU1HMDAyMTgtMjAxMTAyMTQtMTczNS5qcGc.jpg

basswipe
03-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Ended up picking up the 9' Stellar Surf at the show today for short money.This will get some serious use this season.If I can remember later on this season I will post a review on it.

Hardcore
03-13-2011, 01:52 AM
The original stellar lites where made in the u.s. The ones on the market now are china made. After they moved production to china they switch to pacbay guides.

fishnfb
03-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I sell quite a bit of the stellar surf rods at my shop...specifically the 9' models. NO complaints, all praises. Hope you enjoy it too!

basswipe
03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I sell quite a bit of the stellar surf rods at my shop...specifically the 9' models. NO complaints, all praises. Hope you enjoy it too!

If you're shop is Snug Harbor Marina then I bought it from you!

Maybe not I just noticed the Bethany Ct under your location.Anyways I hung a Spheros 8000 and took it out and played down by the beach for awhile.I think I might want to go with something a little lighter.Spheros seems a little heavy.We'll see,the 8000 is more than adequate just not perfect for this rod.

Casts beautifully well though.