View Full Version : Hooks for tying?

Rob Rockcrawler
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I have been making teasers and bucktails a for a number of years and use either vmc siawash or mustads, the same ones i use for red gills. What is a good hook to make a variety of striper flies on? I would think the mustads would be a better bet being thinner and having a smaller eye. Ive straightened quite a few using them on red gills but dont think i would have that problem on a fly rod. Any help would be appreciated, going to try fly fishin this year for the first time and tying is a good way to burn through a few days before the season is here.

flyvice11787
02-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Mustad 34007s or 3407s are pretty good hooks, works for most patterns, and are easy to find. I prefer Gamakatsu SL11-3Hs, which are a 3x tin plated O'Shaugnessy style hook.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bucko
02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
The Mustad 34007 was recomended to me also by a couple of good fly fisherman.

falkners
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Eagle Claw 254's are good, inexpensive hooks with a Seaguard finish. Don't neglect some of the live bait hooks for fly tying. I recently started using the Mustad "Big Gun" live bait hooks for some bigger patterns. They are kirbed but can be straightened in a vise and they are quite a bit cheaper than Owner or Tiemco hooks in the larger sizes. Use a stainless hook if you use alot of bucktail on your flies or its a complex tie. 34007 or 34011 Mustads are good as well as Eagle claw 066ss (you'll have to straighten them). They tend to rust otherwise.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys. I got some of the mustads in the mail along with somemore tying materials. I will make a mess of the house this weekend and pull some flash outta my cats a$* by monday afternoon.

saltydog
02-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Rob Rockcrawler you live a town over from my son. PM me anIll give you his e-mail addy an you 2 can have at it.:uhuh:
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:gh: