View Full Version : Great News for Fishing Access Rights

DZ
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Congrats to RIMS members on this site. Remain vigilant!

DZ

In Todays PROJO:

Sport-fishermen’s group wins beach-access court case

01:00 AM EST on Tuesday, February 15, 2011

By Katie Mulvaney

Journal Staff Writer
PROVIDENCE — Members of a sport-fishermen’s club have won the right to drive on a barrier beach trail to reach their fishing and clamming grounds along Quonochontaug Pond.

Superior Court Judge Jeffrey A. Lanphear ruled that the Rhode Island Mobile Sportfishermen Club had proven the land it owns on the pond had been used for access by cars for fishing, clamming, swimming and hunting for more than 10 years. That historic use, the judge found, entitles the group to continue to cross over land owned by a nonprofit conservation organization to reach its property.

“It’s like a slice of heaven out there,” James Milardo, president of the club, said.

But the Nope’s Island Conservation Association, a nonprofit group dedicated to preserving the barrier beach, is considering an appeal, according to Richard Hosp, president of the Nope’s group.

“It’s a very sensitive area down there …,” Hosp said. “It has been our intention to preserve the land, not to fight.”

Quonochontaug Beach is a two-mile-long barrier beach extending along the coasts of Charlestown and Westerly. It is undeveloped except for a single home, and fronts on the Atlantic Ocean to the south and the pond to the north. The Nope’s Island group owns most of the peninsula, with the Rhode Island Mobile Sportfishermen owning about five acres toward the eastern end. The only way to get to the eastern tip is by a sand trail that runs the length of the beach. The easternmost mile of the trail is completely on land owned by Nope’s, court records show.

The fishermen bought the land in 1999 from John Crandall, whose family purchased it in 1929 and used it for quahogging, swimming, duck hunting, harvesting sea grass and trapping. In the 1980s, the Crandalls used it less than 10 times a year for shellfishing and hunting, the decision states. During the 1990s, they held an annual clambake there. The family openly drove along a sand trail now owned by the Nope’s group to reach the land for 70 years.

The group, whose 500 members advocate for managed public access to the shoreline for swimming and fishing, immediately began using the sand trail upon buying the lot. The Nope’s Island organization, with 375 members who live along the pond, promptly objected to the fishermen driving over the sand trail, but did not contest foot traffic on the path in bringing the case to court.

The Mobile Sportfishermen claimed to have an easement over the trail due to the continuous use of it for more than 10 years. In testimony, John Crandall told the court that he believed the family had a right to have access to the land, and that nobody ever told them otherwise.

Judge Lanphear ruled that the Nope’s organization produced no evidence that the fishermen were causing “significant environmental harm” by driving along the sand trail. The fishermen, to the contrary, showed that people had been gaining access to its land by car for more than 10 years via the sand trail, he found.

“Ferrying members by boat or walking two miles is not only a major inconvenience to RIMS, it is strikingly different from what the owners of the Crandall lot have done for almost a century,” Lanphear said. Without vehicular access and the ability to park along the sand trail, the judge said, the fishermen would be significantly impaired from using their land.

The number of cars will not be limited, but Lanphear ordered the fishermen to repair any damage to the easement within 30 days of a request by Nope’s.

Swimmer
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Wonderful decision from a member of the bench. The fishing club should be able to sue to recover any fundsused to defend its position.

Fly Rod
02-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Happy to hear that. Anything that can help to keep access open to sportsmen is great news. :)

robc22
02-15-2011, 04:03 PM
:claps::claps::claps::kewl::kewl::kewl:

Rob Rockcrawler
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Thats great news.

"The number of cars will not be limited, but Lanphear ordered the fishermen to repair any damage to the easement within 30 days of a request by Nope’s."

I hope that this sentence doesnt come back to haunt fisherman.

piemma
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Now the RIMS guys should play nice with those of us who are not in RIMS. I remember years ago (mid-90s) I was told I could not drive the road or fish the "soft side" of Quonny unless I joined RIMS. Never went back. Don't need their "Holier than thou" additude.

Raven
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
what ever vehicles or EQUIPMENT needed to repair damages
should be lined up in advance not during a 30 day time period otherwise
"someone" could use this to their advantage.

Dick Durand
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Interesting to note that the Nope Island conservation group consists of landowners on the pond . . . sounds more like NIMBY to me.

JohnR
02-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Interesting to note that the Nope Island conservation group consists of landowners on the pond . . . sounds more like NIMBY to me.

Yep.

Good for RIMS.

rphud
02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I walk it, and I get the funniest looks from the RIMS folks when I get there. Not sure they know quite what to make of it. A stranger in a strange land it is.

Glad they fought the good fight and judge ruled justly. Good day for access rights!

Maybe they will learn to share their land in light of the fact that they get use of others' land.

Crafty Angler
02-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Congrats to RIMS members on this site. Remain vigilant!

DZ

You're right, Dennis - like crime and rust, attempts to deny access to the shore never sleeps and you have to keep your eyes open!

While the well-heeled owners of waterfront properties feel that access should be restricted to the well-to-do, 'conservancy' groups can often be the worst - and having met some of the Quonny Pond people a few years back, they are no doubt one and the same.

Luckily for us, our rights as Rhode Islanders to access the shore are guaranteed by the passage in the Rhode Island Constitution that is based on the 1663 Colonial Charter of King Charles II that grants to the public the "rights of fishery and the privileges of the shore to which they have heretofore been entitled."

Unfortunately, fighting attempts to restrict access in the courts is an expensive affair but every victory sets another precedent.

Although this particular decision may be appealed, hats off to RIMS for pursuing their rights...:kewl:

Raven
02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
what the hell they are CONSERVING?? i have to ASK

their unobstructed View? :uhuh:

or is it the OLe PLOVER ploy ? :devil2:

as an interesting side Note:

recently, i just read that the Galapagos's conservation group
has just decided to wage WAR on the RAT infestation
they have there, because the carnivorous Bastards are eating all the eggs
-> and every species there (even the giant turtles)
is now threatened due to the huge rat population

they are dropping these pink CUBES specifically designed
to wipe out the Rats....
which made think we might have a similar situation
here in New England... :huh:

Saltheart
02-16-2011, 09:39 AM
10 years! I've been fishing down that area for 35 years and there has always been traffic from those club members coming and going to and from the soft side.

Its really unfortunate that people use any excuse , even throwing the environment in peoples faces to try to limit access. next to "its for the children" the "for the environment " phrase has become the most abused sound bite in recent history!.

Congrats on the win.

DZ
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Link to Judge's decision.

tlapinski
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
The RIMS members need to learn to share thier land, or the Nopes Island group needs to learn to share? I have been a member since around 1991 and can't remember a case of not allowing a non-member access, assuming they either have the necessary beach pass or have legally accessed the property by another method.
I walk it, and I get the funniest looks from the RIMS folks when I get there. Not sure they know quite what to make of it. A stranger in a strange land it is.

Glad they fought the good fight and judge ruled justly. Good day for access rights!

Maybe they will learn to share their land in light of the fact that they get use of others' land.

Thanks for the link Dennis!
Link to Judge's decision.

Adam_777
02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I've hoofed it a few times.Nobody bothered me at all.I get along with most of the guys I've bumped into over there.They think I'm nuts for walking it and I don't really care it's a good workout.I hear the group in question that is waging war on RIMS and that shoreline are a bunch of NY lawyers and that the campers obstruct their view of the ocean.I thought RIMS owned up to within a certain area of the rocks and the last few hundred feet were State owned including the outflow area.I could be wrong but that is how I interpreted it.Nobody actually owns the rocks down there.The fight was over the road and the parking area at the end that the campers park in.Congrats anyway to RIMS for being able to keep what they've had forever as long as the plovers don't show up and close it like they have been doing in the recent years.

Plum Crazy
02-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Bravo! This is really good news.

rphud
02-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Maybe I am incorrect and I have not tried to drive down the path myself, but my understanding (from others' first hand recounting) is that the "correct beach pass" would be a RIMS plate and membership. Please let me know if this is not correct and how someone that is not a member could drive the path. I know a few that would like to do this on a very occasional basis since they are from out of state. Right now I do not have a off road capable vehicle myself. Probably now some in state that would like to drive down on occasion as well.

SeaWolf
02-17-2011, 09:58 AM
rims members do not need to have a ri crmc barrier beach sticker to access their property. they owned it before the "beach sticker" laws came in and were grandfathered in. that doesn't mean they should not have the necessary equipment tho.

non-members/non-property owners need a ri barrier beach sticker to drive on the sand trail and onto the front beach, which by the way, is not on the list of available open beaches for vehicles to drive on. the front beach is all private property. however, the court ruling from 2 years ago says that you can drive to the breachway thru use of the sand trail, as there is state property at the end. from early spring - mid-summer, the sand trail and beach can be closed by usf&ws with little notice except for property owners due to nesting birds. that's not just plovers either. both sides work with usf&ws, dem, town police, etc., on this issue.

just to give people an idea of what this court order is about, it has nothing to do with rims current property you always see vehicles parked on. it is about a piece of property just west of their currently used property and north of the sand trail that they purchased in '99 and were slapped with a trespassing order by nopes island since in order to access this property, they had to drive over nopes property. this ruling now allows them vehicle access to this property. nopes just controls where the access will be to this property.

the classes between rims and qbcc/nopes/et all will continue. there will be more court challenges by the property owners under the umbrella of qbcc. it's white collar vs blue collar. yes, many groups and members of qbcc own property north of the pond and what is in their view, rims campers. yeah, it's nimby.

DZ
02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Seawolf/Dave,
Thank's for the clarification. I know RIMS has had to pay substantial legal fees to keep these areas open. For those who might be interested - is membership to RIMS open to new members?

It seems that those interested in soft side access should at least become members of RIMS and support your cause.

DZ

SeaWolf
02-17-2011, 10:31 AM
last i knew, they dropped the membership cap to 500 and it has been closed for a couple years.

Plum Crazy
02-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Any win for anyone is a win for everyone. Having a win like this in our back pocket can help ALL of us in the long run. I don't begrudge RIMS for owning their own beach. I am envious. I wish more clubs could own their own property.
Maybe then we could turn the tables on so called "enviros".
One thing I have learned by all of these lawsuits in the past few months is that WE (the fishermen and access groups) have FACTS while the ENVIROS have "feelings" and cannot prove that ORV's do damage or kill birds.
The judges are going with the facts.