View Full Version : garmin g2 vision cards

niko
02-15-2011, 07:42 PM
worth the $250 or not? is there better chart detail offshore or marginal improvement

PRBuzz
02-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I recently bought an upgrade card for my Garmin which will obsolete the g2Vision card I have. If you want you can try it and if you like it we can deal.

Piscator
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
worth the $250 or not? is there better chart detail offshore or marginal improvement

Be careful if you aren't buying a brand new one. I bought a "pre-owned" one (Ebay)and it didn't work in my unit. Garmin uses some type of "unlock" code on the newer ones and they are only good for use on one unit. If you take it out and stick it in another unit it will not work. I called Garmin and they charge an "unlock" fee for about the same as a new one. Luckily I was able to return it and get my $$ back.

The older used ones are interchangable but the newer ones will not work unless unlocked.

Piscator
02-15-2011, 08:12 PM
I recently bought an upgrade card for my Garmin which will obsolete the g2Vision card I have. If you want you can try it and if you like it we can deal.

Buzz,

Is it worth it? I've been looking for a while too and been gun shy on pulling the trigger.

PRBuzz
02-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I didn't really test my unit without the g2 card so can't remember what the basic functions were with or without. I did remember being impressed when 1st run. I also did a major download/upgrade of the unit firmware/software for last season that impressed me more, upgraded from original rev3 to 5.2 or something like that.

My g2Vision is the older so no unlock. You and Niko are both welcome to test and FIGHT IT OUT if you like it!

Piscator
02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I didn't really test my unit without the g2 card so can't remember what the basic functions were with or without. I did remember being impressed when 1st run. I also did a major download/upgrade of the unit firmware/software for last season that impressed me more, upgraded from original rev3 to 5.2 or something like that.

My g2Vision is the older so no unlock. You and Niko are both welcome to test and FIGHT IT OUT if you like it!

I'll let Niko buy it and then have him bring it with him when he comes out with me :hihi:

Rockfish9
02-16-2011, 07:46 AM
when I bought my new unit they were offering a rebate deal and the card ended up costing about $50, so I bought it...IMHO, unless you are traveling in unfamilure waters and do extensive cruiseing, it's not worth the big money...it's got some neat features, but for the most part, in my case, I never use them, and have to zoom in to keep them from cluttering detail I want to see...the 3D bottom contour can be difficult to diceifer, the pre loaded charts give exellent detail and for me are more than enough...My.02

Van
02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Absolutely !!! Whats another 300 bucks in boating ?????

With the G2 you have many more functions available. Adjustable Colored depth contours, ( i use it all the time). 3D plotting, and angled views while underway. The imagery stuff I could do without, but its there.

The best one is the "navigate to"... Put in a waypoint or location, and press nav to. It will calculate a route and keep you in safe water all the way. It is awesome. You can turn the helm over to a kid and say " follow the big purple line". It will take you right to the slip.