View Full Version : 2011 Black Sea Bass Recreational Public Comment Period...

surfkaster
02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Read up people...

http://www.asmfc.org/speciesDocuments/sfScupBSB/bsb/fmps/draftAddendumXXIforPublicComment.pdf

PRBuzz
02-18-2011, 12:02 PM
BSB Summary: 25 fish, 13" July 1 until Oct 1, Nov 1 until Dec 31

Think I got it right?

surfkaster
02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
PRBuzz
"BSB Summary: 25 fish, 13" July 1 until Oct 1, Nov 1 until Dec 31
Think I got it right?"

Not if regional/state specific regulations are approved...

"States are concerned that the 2010 regulations disproportionately impacted states within the management unit."

Massachusetts opted for a more restrictive 20
fish possession limit, and adopted all other coastwide regulations in 2010.

The fishery is not overfished beyond sustainability in Mass, but I think the more restrictive measures are being put forth by the state for better future access to the fishery "more state quota".

PRBuzz
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
From the report: ", indicating that black sea bass are
currently very abundant in Massachusetts waters."

MakoMike
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
You've got to read the whole thing, it has NOTHING to do with this years regulations it put forth the criteria that will be sued for 2012 and future regulations. The potential for Regional or State-by-state management is an issue. FYI Sea bass are at 104% of the target biomass for the entire east coast.

surfkaster
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
MakoMike
"You've got to read the whole thing, it has NOTHING to do with this years regulations it put forth the criteria that will be sued for 2012 and future regulations."

Than why do you think Mass enacted more restrictive measures in 2010 and wants more restrictive measures for 2011...

MakoMike
02-18-2011, 05:05 PM
MakoMike
"You've got to read the whole thing, it has NOTHING to do with this years regulations it puts forth the criteria that will be used for 2012 and future regulations."

Than why do you think Mass enacted more restrictive measures in 2010 and wants more restrictive measures for 2011...

I have no idea, and in fact was stunned when they did it. All they did IMHO was coast the residents five fish per trip and they got nothing back for it.

surfkaster
02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
MakoMike

"I have no idea, and in fact was stunned when they did it. All they did IMHO was coast the residents five fish per trip and they got nothing back for it."

You were stunned about a five fish difference last year? None of the charter customers I had last year seemed to mind or even notice for that matter...

MakoMike
02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
MakoMike

"I have no idea, and in fact was stunned when they did it. All they did IMHO was coast the residents five fish per trip and they got nothing back for it."

You were stunned about a five fish difference last year? None of the charter customers I had last year seemed to mind or even notice for that matter...

I was stunned that MA did it. I fish out of RI so it made no difference to me. I was stunned because sea bass is at 104% of the rebuilding target and MA got nothing in return for taking five fish away from their anglers. IOW it seemed and still seems like a stupid move to me.