View Full Version : Chum Maker

Fly Rod
02-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Thirty to forty five minutes to make if you have the right tools.

Here is what I use to make chum. Take a commercial paint stirrer picture #2 cost approx. 20 dollars, picture #3 cut the sides leaving an inch or two, cut the bottom of center rod an extra two inches longer. Sharpen both sides of the blade with electric grinder. Center rod is 3/8" thick, you need a drill with 1/2" chuck. Take a 5 gallon bucket, a 2x4 piece of wood, drill a hole the diameter of a penny 1/2" deep in center of wood, place a penny in hole, screw bottom of bucket to the wood, now you are ready to make chum. Cut a hole in the bucket cover big enough to insert chum cutter blade this keeps the chum from splattering out.

Fill bucket half way with bait fish, add water to top of bait fish, stick the chum maker in and go baby go. Makes a 5 gal. bucket of chum in 5-10 minutes. If you have a freezer you can make up a bunch and take it as you need it. Add less water if you want it thicker or more water to make it more souppy.

buckman
02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
So you have a hole in the bottom of the bucket and the rod goes through and rides on the penny? Is the 2x4 longer and you stand on it to keep the bucket from spinning?

Fly Rod
02-19-2011, 04:07 PM
2x4 goes inside the bottom of bucket and screw a couple of screws from the outside of the bottom of bucket into the 2x4 to hold it firm. You do not want the blade to touch the side of bucket or you will need another bucket

The penny keeps the center rod from acting like a drill bit and drilling through the 2x4 and bottom of bucket.

The bucket should not spinwith the bait and water in the bucket, if it does put your feet aganist the bucket.

Make sure you use a cover on the bucket or it will splatter on you.

Fly Rod
02-19-2011, 04:35 PM
lay the 2x4 in bottom of bucket approx. centered and then take a pencil and mark the 2x4 approx where the center of bucket is. The hole in the 2x4 is very important, stick the nipple of the center rod in the drill hole or the chumer will jump around the bucket

buckman
02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Going to make one tomorrow and hope the macks are thick. Thanks

Fly Rod
02-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I have used this method for the last 6 years.

I have a dozen 2-1/2 gal. plastic buckets that I fill with chum and freeze. If you freeze your bait in a 1 or 2 gal. bucket you can use one of them laundry detergent buckets or a 5 gal. bucket drill a bunch of 1" holes on the side and bottom and use that as your chum dispencer over the side of the boat. Sometimes I thaw it over night and lattle it out when fishing.

Sometimes I sell a block of frozen chum for ten bucks.