View Full Version : steamers & sand

Goose
02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Anyone have any proven methods of removing the sand out of the clam?

Some swear by corn meal or flour but I tried that method with poor results. Seems the cornmeal floats to the top.:confused:

basswipe
02-19-2011, 05:21 PM
They need to be alive and in sand free water,water circulation is everything.The sand will work its way out of the clam if given time.

Nebe
02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
I usually tell her to take a shower first.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JackK
02-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Cornmeal won't float if you make a slurry out of it in a small bowl, then add it to the water w the clams

Let them sit in the fridge overnight, shake them every few hours or so to redistribute the Cornmeal in the water column

Always works for me. Good luck
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JamesJet
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I've tried multiple. Lately I have been going with the cornmeal and or vinegar in the water tricks. If they are a little older, maybe a day then they tend to really want to siphon more. I always thought freshwater killed then so I make it salty. In the end a good bowl of warm clam broth is always needed for each person to rinse them.

Backbeach Jake
02-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Two 5gal buckets one inside the other. The top bucket has holes drilled in the bottom. Fill both with sea water add clams and cornmeal. Steve in Mass, overthere, says to add a bit of black pepper to speed the sand spitting along. HAven' tried the pepper trick yet myself but will.

Karl F
02-21-2011, 10:22 AM
BBJ's method works, I change out the saltwater a few times as well..
also fortunate, that where we dig, the clams get a lot of tidal flush, and are fairly sand and silt free.
black pepper?.. hmm.. i put a little in the boil mix along with a sliced vidalia...

Goose
02-21-2011, 03:12 PM
I layered the clams adding lots of BK Pepper then slowly added fresh water and let them sit about an hour. Drained the water and refrigerated them again...They're tongue's are all hanging out and all very alive. Rinsed them again and they where good. Takes a little more time using BK pepper but it worked. Thanks Peeps

MakoMike
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I used to just hang mind off the side of the boat for a week before bringing them home. In a five gallon bucket drilled with lots of holes, like an eel bucket.