View Full Version : What's the best way to get Netflix to your TV?

Saltheart
02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
My better TV is in the bedroom. Its got all kinds of inputs but the USB is just for Photos and Music it says.

So anyway , I usually use my laptop with a long VGA cord. That does good for the pic but the audio just comes out of the computers speakers.

Whats the best way (wireless hopefully) to get the Netflix movies from my PC to the good HDTV ?

iamskippy
02-20-2011, 09:49 AM
if you are wanting to use your laptop and you are ok with the VGA cable quality, you can use an adapter to put the sound to your TV if you dont care about the quality of sound. if you want a better experience you can get a nice Blue-ray player with a wireless adapter that you can stream it via the wireless, most have a HDMI cable and offer a far superior picture and sound quality.

blondterror
02-20-2011, 09:53 AM
I use an HDMI cable from my new laptop and am pleased with the sound and video quality.

You can get HDMI cables from Amazon much cheaper than local stores.

chris

JohnnyD
02-21-2011, 01:57 PM
If you have a blueray player, many of them have a built in capability of connecting to netflix for you.

No more messing with the computer and you can use your BlueRay remote to access netflix.

PRBuzz
02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
If you have a blueray player, many of them have a built in capability of connecting to netflix for you.

No more messing with the computer and you can use your BlueRay remote to access netflix.

2nd this method although the Blu-Ray I bought a year ago is not Netflix compatible. Make sure to check which services are offered. A lot is happening in this area with newer chips/firmware making upgrades possible.

Saltheart
02-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input.

I went with the Blue Ray wireless built in machine. The Blue Ray is Fantastic! i'll let you know how the Netflix part works out. You do have to be careful though. Wording like internet capable or Netflix capable masks the truth that you need to buy a network adpter or some other gizmos to get it all to work. I looked for the term "WIFI built in" that way if you have a wireless router , you can tune in without buying other stuff that is sometimes costly.

After a lot of looking , what you notice is that a lot of the boxes have the logos for the services that the machine is capable of accessing. Netflix is a very easy logo to recognize and the red in it makes it really prominent on the outside of the box.

As I posted elsewhere , the only thing that remains to be seen is how it will all work with my wireless G router. i may need to update to a wireless N to get the best peformance. The new BlueRay has Wireless N . Wireless G will work but it may take long buffering times or could start stop flicker etc. If that's the case , I need the new router. my router is at least 5 years old now. Its a good one but it is getting old.

JohnnyD
02-21-2011, 03:21 PM
As I posted elsewhere , the only thing that remains to be seen is how it will all work with my wireless G router. i may need to update to a wireless N to get the best peformance. The new BlueRay has Wireless N . Wireless G will work but it may take long buffering times or could start stop flicker etc. If that's the case , I need the new router. my router is at least 5 years old now. Its a good one but it is getting old.
You shouldn't have any problems. I believe most wireless standards are backwards compatible.

PRBuzz
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
You shouldn't have any problems. I believe most wireless standards are backwards compatible.

They might be backwards compatible but not up to carrying the bandwidth necessary for HD movie downloads.

JohnnyD
02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
They might be backwards compatible but not up to carrying the bandwidth necessary for HD movie downloads.
I think Wireless-G is something like 54Mbit/sec which is faster than most people's internet connections. My guess is that distance to the router will be more of a limiting factor.

iamskippy
02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
i work for the cable company and did extensive testing recently on new wireless routers we are going to carry. the d link 615 was amazing but the 825 duel band was insane, especially if people will be using the inet at the same time. stay away from linsys they are still running on and old platform. and netgear will require continuous power cycleing unless u get their top end router and its a decent product.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart
02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
I was not worried about compatability downward , I was worried about speed.

The good news is everything is working perfectly. I did have to disable my password protect on the router. I think I need to replace the existing multi character PW with an all numeric one.

So now I can watch the streaming , i can play nlue Rays and I have over 100 movies in the que for DVD mailings and Streaming combined.

So far so good.

All this for $120. With HDMI , wireless internet and outstanding Blue Ray picture quality. It even came with the HDMI cord! I'm happy. Now lest hope it all doesn't breakdown in a month.

fishpoopoo
02-23-2011, 07:26 AM
ROKU box if you want a wireless connection.

A Wii is also another way to connect.

Saltheart
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi Ben. I looked around for Roku boxes and nobody , nobody had them in the stores near me. I could have gone online to buy but decided the Blue Ray with built in Wireless was the best way to go for me since I didn't have a Blue Ray player either. Everything is working perfectly right now!I watched the latest Star Trek movie and the first episode of The Scarlet Pimpernell last night. Both came in perfect. The sound quality is also excellent.