View Full Version : Eel availability

massgc
02-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Had problems getting eels last year. Bait shop said they had a disease and they were not getting any in.

Anybody know if that will be an issue this year.

Fly Rod
02-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Did not have a problem on Cape Ann, bait shops had plenty.

JohnnyD
02-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Aside from the price going up $.25/ea every year, I was able to get eels whenever needed at almost any of the shops between Middleboro and Race Point.

Fishoholic
02-23-2011, 10:01 AM
catch your own :)

ivanputski
02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Whats the 2nd best bait for eels? (1st being HS crabs, and I'm not using them) And I talked to a distributor and he said a ton of eels died from the heat we had (many in transport)

Rockfish9
02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Whats the 2nd best bait for eels? (1st being HS crabs, and I'm not using them) And I talked to a distributor and he said a ton of eels died from the heat we had (many in transport)

if you are in the proximity to a clam house, the shells and clam necks are top notch bait, the shells give the eels a place to hide and search under .. they dont spoil as quickly as fish bait and dont attract nearly as many green crabs.... it's almost all i use.. herring in a bait bag is a close second... eels like it, but so do the crabs, and they seem to work best if put in just prior to dark so they do not wash out...

with gas nudging $5 ( projected) a gallon by summer... an eel shortage may be least of everyones problems..