View Full Version : Leader Storage

JamesJet
02-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a system of taking leaders with me when fishing that I like, but have a few questions about storage at home. What do you do to store long term, particularly if I choose to start tying some up soon. Additional question is there any "shelf life" assuming no UV etc. Interested in both swivel-> line-> clip and swivel ->line-> hook methods.

fishbones
02-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I just tied up a bunch last week. I hang them by the swivel from small nails in the side of a cabinet in the work area of my basement. I've never had any problem with them breaking down doing it this way.

WoodyCT
02-26-2011, 08:25 AM
No worries about UV if stored in a low light area.

I tried hanging them to reduce memory, but now I just coil them and replenish my bag when I run low.

To straighten a new leader I just tie it on, attach a plug, hang the plug on my rod, put a lot of strain on the leader, and then stand the rod against the house in direct sunlight for a couple hours before heading out after dark.

If it's already dark when I tie one on before leaving the house I pour a pot of hot water over the tied on leader.

When out fishing I just tie on the leader, clip on the plug and pull the hell out of the leader to stretch it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F.
02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I coil them up and put them in minature ziplocks I got at a craft store.