View Full Version : SIERRA CLUB ?

Raven
02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
My wife wanted to join up for $15.00 bucks and i told her to be careful that these are not the same friggan people helping to close the beaches because of the endangered species act. Blah Blah Blah....

Anyone done their homework on them?

JohnR
02-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Sometimes their interests align with ours, sometimes they are opposed, and the correlation of forces favors them.

I wish they were more practical then they are.

Karl F
02-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Raven, they oppose any OHV activity (Off Highway Vehicle)..
be it ORV, Snowmobile, Quad, or dirtbike..your dollars will go to their fight.
Sierra, Nature Conservancy..MA Audubon, etc. etc. etc. ..
(the list is too damn long)................
all anti ORV and OHV..some even are getting active against mountain biking, yes..pedal powered off pavement use.

Karl F
02-26-2011, 10:46 AM
If you want to support a group that champions responsible off road use by motorized vehicles...look into the Blue Ribbon Coalition...
google them up...

BasicPatrick
02-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Sierra club is known to actively oppose what I consider reasonable vehicular beach access. I can personally attest to the fact that they wrote letters opposing a modern management plan for Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

I also have read some letters they sent as comment on the last ORV Plan for Cape Cod National Seashore.

I am pretty proud that I do not lump all conservation/environmental organizations into one pot and often work with some on recreatioanl issues on which we can agree.

That being said, Sierra club is one ENGO I consider a anti access.

MarkB
02-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Go to the web site of your state's chapter - it will tell you exactly what they're involved in.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Taken from the Sierra Club Cape Cod website.

Off-Road Vehicles

Usage of Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) in forests and protected wildlands, such as the Cape Cod National Seashore, is a potentially damaging activity, due not only to physical damage to vegetation caused by vehicles, but also to concerns of exhaust and noise pollution. The Cape Cod Group recently researched and wrote the basis of the Massachusetts Sierra Club response to the MA DCR Draft proposal concerning Criteria for ORV road building in public lands. We determined that ORV trails and areas on public lands should be closed to all vehicles, unless their use is deemed appropriate after complete financial, safety, and environmental analysis and review.

Neither the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) nor user groups have successfully enforced existing rules, even when trails have been closed. Because existing problems have not been fixed, no new ORV trails should be contemplated. In the greater Cape Cod Area, the DCR closed Myles Standish State Forest in Plymouth to ORV use in 2005 due to concerns of misuse and environmental damage.

The Cape Cod group hopes that more of such actions will be taken in order to protect fragile ecosystems from damage. We continue to press the National Park Service to honor their pledge to periodically assess ORV damage with impartial, peer-reviewed scientific studies.

JohnR
02-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Taken from the Sierra Club Cape Cod website.

Usage of Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) in forests and protected wildlands, such as the Cape Cod National Seashore, is a potentially damaging activity, due not only to physical damage to vegetation caused by vehicles, but also to concerns of exhaust and noise pollution.

Sierra club would have a more profound impact by paying to close the MillHill club one night per week in summer.

Slingah
02-26-2011, 01:52 PM
They are also the ones who got the "opt out" removed for homeowners (without small children) & contractors in that whole ridiculous RRP lead law from the E.P.A.

basswipe
02-26-2011, 02:45 PM
They are also the ones who got the "opt out" removed for homeowners (without small children) & contractors in that whole ridiculous RRP lead law from the E.P.A.

You got that right.

Finaddict
02-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Was there anything on their Website about no fish zones, or marine protection areas down in the Florida Keys and Florida Everglades ... I cannot remember which (Audubon or Sierra), but one of those groups actively worked to close down good fishing grounds to sportfishing ... and for that reason, I cannot support any of them ... I remember when I lived down in Miami about 11 or 12 years ago, they were actively working to help close those areas down ... no thanks

Raven
02-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Seems like some group was closing down many southern cal fishing areas...
.i just read....i'll bet their hands are dirty on that one too.

I haven't trusted Audubon for many years so i suspected seira club was in their camp....

Thanks for all the INTEL guys.... i'll explain it to my wife that they are the enemy....you know, they send you a nice shiney map of the usa and nice decals and fancy promises and the ladies think its a good deal.

She will quickly revert to :point: F_ them in a heart beat.

Karl we subscribed to Blue Ribbon Coalition instead

O.D. Mike
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
My wife wanted to join up for $15.00 bucks and i told her to be careful that these are not the same friggan people helping to close the beaches because of the endangered species act. Blah Blah Blah....

Anyone done their homework on them?

Tell her not to join and I will promise not to run over any piping plovers this year....

Karl F
02-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Sierra club would have a more profound impact by paying to close the MillHill club one night per week in summer.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/83/l_bb2bc1ee25f044c5b54ecdb9965c947f.jpg

no worries John.. the SwillHill club has been closed up and abandoned for several years now... soon to be torn down and replaced with the trendy plastic clapboards and sanitary look.. most likely be some kind of medical or office building.
Medical would be fitting.. lord knows how many livers died there, fist and knife fights etc...
was a real barn burner for several decades though...
the last decade or so of it's lifespan, it was a real oasis for the drug set.
looked like a Yarmouth PD substation most Friday and Saturday nights...

Karl F
02-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Karl we subscribed to Blue Ribbon Coalition instead

well, good for you , I guess, better there than the other, that is for certain.
after all these years, "my" (or "our" :rolleyes:) money, is just that.....