View Full Version : Boston Boat Show

keeperreaper
02-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Was really lacking yesterday in terms of a number of boat manufacturers. A lot smaller than previous years and the prices were insanely high. One would think that the economy was booming. It was really disappointing but I didn't expect any different.

saltyric
02-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Yup, I agree. Nothing really stood out. Still, A good way to waste the morning.

fishsmith
02-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I go for the fish chowder across the street at the No Name.

I hope to be there tomorrow.

The boating industry has been hammered with the jobless rate, economy and fuel prices. The article below shows the big they've taken.

US Boat Industry No Longer Floundering But Recovery Murky - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110225-711709.html)

macojoe
02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
I went and got a good deal on a new Nav system and radar

Raider Ronnie
03-02-2011, 01:43 AM
I went sat night.
Show was so so, light turnout for a sat in my opinion.
Went to talk with Navico reps about an auto pilot system for my boat. I have 0 interest in the types of boats at these shows, Maine boat builders show is more my style so checking out the auto pilot in person is the only reason I went.
Saw the 28 Nauset as I was heading out , it caught my interest so I went on it to check it out.
$197k boat show special price ($240k msrp) :shocked:

saltyric
03-02-2011, 06:41 AM
That Nauset caught my eye as well.....Pretty cool ride. I also dug the green silverhawk. Pretty pricey as well.

Mr. Sandman
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I asked one rep...how are sales going? His eyes rolled back and said, well, I suppose it is better then years past but the expectations are so low now that any sale is a big deal.

Most new builders are not building on spec...they don't start anything until they get a deposit now.

The market is flooded with A LOT of very good, late model boats well below cost. Why buy new when you can get a 2 yo boat less than 1/2 the cost of new?

4-5 buck gas is not going to help and could drive the dagger in many pleasure boat builders as many get < 1 mpg. A little CC with a new OB gets about 2.5mpg

E15 = pending nightmare

Boat loans??? :biglaugh::rotf2::biglaugh: you better have cash

Labor market in US makes it too challenging. Yeah, there are people who want to work but with all the government demands on providing benefits and pay...you can't sell a boat made in the US because the labor costs drive it out of sight. You need to go overseas or across borders to find cheap labor build it there and and import it . This government still does not get the picture.

The industry has a lot of obstacles and expensive toys that consume large quantities of fossil fuel are low on most peoples list these days.

To be honest, I would love to get into the business but it is so bad out there any money invested would be better spent at a crap table right now.

srt44116
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Show has been slow all week. I am working the Fastech booth and will be there tomoro and sat feel free to swing by and say hi

Van
03-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Going today, gonna check out the Robalo 305 express.
Then Cabo.......

Then have a CORONARY !!!!!!!!!!:smash::smash:

I wonder what 5/bucks a gallon will do to this boating season.
Might keep quite a few boats out. :):)
Not mine..

thunder
03-05-2011, 08:18 AM
there were some pretty good deals on 383 stroker and 357 engines

taJon
03-11-2011, 02:58 PM
very dissapointed to the point where I will not be going next year. The chicken and waffles were good after though.

macojoe
03-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Van

I wonder what 5/bucks a gallon will do to this boating season.
Might keep quite a few boats out.
Not mine..

Obama say today we all need to tighten are belts :fury:
Easy for him to say as he flys the world and his wife and daughter go to Spain, and they all go to Hawaii on are dollar!!

thefishingfreak
03-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I got my picture with Patrick star from spongebob fame
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie
03-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I got my picture with Patrick star from spongebob fame
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Spongebob & Patrick rule !