View Full Version : Beaching the boat

Goose
02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Just last year I started putting my boat on the beach to enjoy some private beaches, yeah there are some signs "no trespassing" bla bla bla...thats pretty much how i fish too,,,anyway, its not like I'm the only one on a summer's day there are many and i do mean many boaters doing it with there family's, imo its just a perk about having a boat.

Inside Quicks hole on the west side is a good example, cherry & web always has a good crowd too. Heading out of Padurum after Nonquit on the right is another big boaters hang out.

At first I thought the sand and tide would do damage to my gel coat not true, although investing in a keel guard might make you better. If the beach has gradual pitch then tossing an anchor or two works good.

Any favorite boaters beaches ya wanna share?

I gota checkout periwinkle cove

Nebe
02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Just inside the mouth of the narrow river. Pick a calm day near the top of the tide when entering.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie
02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Beaching not a good thing for my downeast with a 3ft3 draft/full keel

OLD GOAT
02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
My midland skiff draws about 5" and my wife has short legs so it works out well.
I come in on calm water ,,she steps out(she can't swim) and i anchor off with a bow and a tail anchor.

Since I Have the old man disease I go to the boat allot to reset the anchors and ponder on the sea side of the skiff when no one is looking.
If your in quiet water you can keep the boat in the water and keep the bottom scar free with a bow and stern anchor

zacs
03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Places we have enjoyed beaching or shallow water anchorage...
Sandy Point (RI/CT border)
Dutch Island (Narragansett Bay)
Gardener Island - and others (Point Jude Pond)
Prudence Island (Narragansett Bay)
Multiple Locations on MV
Naushon just east of Robinsons (Buzzards Bay)
There are some others but those are off the top of my head.
Be carefull if you go into Narrow river... the entrance can be tricky. And the fun doesn't stop when you get into the river, plenty of opportunity to ground. but it certainly is a special place...

fish4striper
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Goose, There was just a thread on THT with guys listing different spots. if you can't find it ,let me know I'll locate it and pm you.

Rockfish9
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
the last time I "beached" the boat.. I was trolling an outside bar ( via electric motor) at 2AM.... one of the " 1 foot or less waves became a 3 foot wave and set me high and dry....I got off with the rising tide.. the gel coat fared OK.. but the water piump .. not so much....

Back when the kids were young, we used to use the "old Goat" method at sandy point on Plum island...I havent done that in about 15 years...

srt44116
03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I really like tarpileing cove, and bassets island. And I usually go to about 1-3 feet water and spin her around by hand and use the 2 anchor
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Moses
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Plymouth & Duxbury bays have awesome sand bars. If you time it right, beaching at the right location, you can enjoy 6+ hrs. It's fantastic. After a night/early morning of fishing, I drop my buddies off and pick up my family for a day on the beach/sand bars. When the tide starts rolling in, head over to Saquish.

Barnstable Harbor is another great location, both the east and west sides.

A couple pics from Plymouth.

capecodkid
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Washburn Island in E. Falmouth is an awesome place to beach the boat.

Sea Dangles
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Took my mom and kids to Tarpaulin Cove for a great time late summer.Some spots on the North side of the Elizabeth's I see lots of action at.The beach on Nashawena in Quicks is fantastic, but when the birds hatch,it's off limits.Saw plenty of boats on the North side of Gay Head under the cliffs in an awesome spot too.Party time at the inlet of the Westport River and also the North River.I don't beach the boat,just plop it in 2' of water and walk ashore.The gentleman who told me to hit the road in Quicks also told me there are 3 beaches in the Elizabeth chain that welcome boaters.

Goose
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Goose, There was just a thread on THT with guys listing different spots. if you can't find it ,let me know I'll locate it and pm you.

That would be cool if you could send me that.

yeah Moses,, Plymouth excellent spot

blondterror
03-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Lake Tashmoo on MV... the channel shoals and moves around so I do not recommend on a falling tide.. Anchor inside and then you can walk the beach...