View Full Version : The roads!!!

FishermanTim
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't know why, but isn't it amazing that Massachusetts can't seem to be able to plow its roads without tearing them up EVERY year?
Travel to the other New England states that get MORE snow than us, and their highways are pristine and I don't think they know what a pothole is!
Here in (M)assachusetts, there isn't a time when the roads are is such disrepair, it makes me wonder who is more at fault: the plow drivers that love to plow all day, all the time, even when there is no snow, or the state workers that don't seem to know how to pave a road so that overzealous plow drivers can't tear them up at the hint of a snowflake?

We plow highways until they unearth the lost city of Atlantis, and plow secondary and terciary roads when the snow melts.
The roads are repaired, repaved, dug up because someone scheduled their project for the exact day that the paving was completed, and then do a piss-poor patch job and pat themselve on the back for a stellar job.
The state must be saving a bundle by buying second and third rate materials for their roadwork, because with roads that crumbles within 3 months of being paved, and bridge repairs (aka:bandaid on a bullet wound) that only perpetuate the repair merry-go-round, they seem to have more and more money to throw at these ill-fated projects.

Gee, I wonder why they never seem to have enough money to complete the most important infrastructure projects?
When you pad the payroll and purposely do a very sub-par job, you basically are creating job security. You will have to repair your shoddy workmanship (if you can call it that) repeatedly, and that takes your time and our money.

OK, rant is over.
(I may have to find a way to claim all auto repairs on my taxes next year, since I paid my taxes that are supposed to go toward road upkeep, and they have obviously failed to do that!)

JohnnyD
03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
My guess: Shoddy road construction. The continual use of 'patches' instead of repaving.

I've always wondered if the same guys that plow in the winter also do road work during the warmer months. Seems like a nice scam to make sure you always have work.

PRBuzz
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
My guess: Shoddy road construction. The continual use of 'patches' instead of repaving.

Just "repaving" might not work either the way they do repaving today, scaping off the top layers and adding new surface IF the substructure is bad.

Raven
03-01-2011, 05:04 PM
i was following these two snow plows that were doing nothing
but making sparks .....going down the road....

i said you gotta be kidding me!
and drove right around them
even though it was a no passing zone
they didn't need to be there at all.

FishermanTim
03-02-2011, 11:25 AM
They had work crews out today doing their best "pi$$-poor" patch job on the swiss-cheese road I have to drive every day.
These "el-cheapo" repairs won't last a month when the real thaw starts.

I agree, it's real state job security if you can get paid to create the need in winter for the very job you get paid for during warmer months.

I had some auto repairs done 2 weeks ago, along with a 4 wheel alignment, which was completely shot within a week due to the great road conditions in this a-hole state of ours.
There has to be some way I can claim the auto repairs on my state taxes, since the state is directly and solely responsible for the cause.

fishbones
03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
There has to be some way I can claim the auto repairs on my state taxes, since the state is directly and solely responsible for the cause.

:rotf2: Good luck with that. They'll tell you that you don't need to drive on the roads. There's always public transportation.

Sea Dangles
03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Fisherman Tim, you really need to move to another state,maybe even a different part of the country. I could try to explain freeze/thaw and the impact on roads but you wouldn't care.You complain about too much plowing and too much patching.Now, you want us to pay for your car repairs too. Try putting your skirt on one leg at a time tomorrow and enjoy what you have.If you don't like it here,feel free to leave because your whining makes you seem like a beyotch.

Raider Ronnie
03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
They had work crews out today doing their best "pi$$-poor" patch job on the swiss-cheese road I have to drive every day.
These "el-cheapo" repairs won't last a month when the real thaw starts.

I agree, it's real state job security if you can get paid to create the need in winter for the very job you get paid for during warmer months.

I had some auto repairs done 2 weeks ago, along with a 4 wheel alignment, which was completely shot within a week due to the great road conditions in this a-hole state of ours.

What the hell does a plow have to do with frost heaves which is the reason we get potholes !
I suppose you will piss & moan here when the roads don't get plowed & salted and you have a crash because of snow or ice !