View Full Version : Vinyl Siding....

The Dad Fisherman
03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Wanted to have this done to the house this year, was going to have somebody do it....but the more I look at it the more I think I can pull this off myself.

Anybody do this to their house? Is it truly as easy as it looks or am I setting myself up for disaster?

Comment away .....I'm all ears

fish4striper
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
The vinyl part is easy. The tough part is the trim. You need a brake)metal bender to form it). If you're handy and do most around your house, you can do it and pay someone to do the trim.

nightfighter
03-02-2011, 12:25 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^& has the brake and has done a good amount of trim. We could work something out if you want some help to get it going and do most of it yourself.....

JohnnyD
03-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Talk to OD Mike. He's been working on putting new vinyl siding onto his house for the past 4 years or so. When he's done, I think it'll be time for him to start over at the beginning.:rotflmao:

The Dad Fisherman
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
:hihi:

I shouldn't laugh......thats got me written all over it.

fishbones
03-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Talk to OD Mike. He's been working on putting new vinyl siding onto his house for the past 4 years or so. When he's done, I think it'll be time for him to start over at the beginning.:rotflmao:

Mike's all done with the siding. Next up. The Airstream Project. How long before he has that done?

BigFish
03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I am leaning towards clapboards on my house. Vinyl may be! My house needs to be stripped and wrapped with Tyvek and I need to replace all trim and corner boards! Glad its a Cape...small house!

Raven
03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
or you make story boards (that tell the story) on each side to transfer your marks of how much to the weather each course has because sometimes you have to fudge it a little.

.................................................. ..................................................

WHAT YA Can also do Larry is to pre-paint all the new clab boards with a roller at least with the Primer....

and then stack em ever so carefully to dry and then Most of the work is already done after they are up.

We did a huge farm house that way and it worked out MINT
other wise , it would have taken forever moving the staging and ladders.

The Dad Fisherman
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I am leaning towards clapboards on my house. Vinyl may be! My house needs to be stripped and wrapped with Tyvek and I need to replace all trim and corner boards! Glad its a Cape...small house!

Thats pretty much what I'm looking at

Backbeach Jake
03-02-2011, 08:15 PM
I stripped, Tyveked, resided my house with red cedar. I stained, big mistake. Red cedar turns black. Shoulda went white cedar and primed and painted 4 sides. Or vinyl.

Raven
03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
vinyl siding has come along way
it has been greened up now
with insulation on the back side
and is far superior to the old kind

Hookedagain
03-02-2011, 09:41 PM
I removed all my vinyl. Replaced it with Hardie Plank siding (cement board) Nice stuff, I love it.

Raider Ronnie
03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
About 14 years ago did an addition on my house at the same time stripped rest of the house,replaced every window with new construction windows , tyvecked house & addition and did vinyl siding, lower front of house is vinyl bricked.
Once or twice a year I hose or pressure wash it.
Vinyl has come a long way.
Buy it from a building supply house ( got mine from All side in Randolph Ma.
The stuff they sell @ home depot & Lowe's is crap. color fades !
I've watched some of my neighbors paint their houses 2 or 3 times since I did the vinyl 14 years ago.

O.D. Mike
03-03-2011, 05:31 AM

Not quite done with the vinyl, I have the kitchen bump out and the garage left to do.... During the time that I was installing the siding I've had 2 knee surgery's. If you have good friends like PRBuzz that will come over and help making cuts for you, the time goes fast.

Dad the fisherman, PM me your email address and I'll send you the website that helped me out. I used pump jacks to install the siding, if you are afraid of heights this may not be the project for you. Also I used Azec for my trim, never have to paint it.....

"Mike's all done with the siding. Next up. The Airstream Project. How long before he has that done?"
Its going to take as long as I want it to, HATER!!!!

Raven
03-03-2011, 06:13 AM
i'm not afraid of heights....

it's the hitting the ground part that is no fun :rotf2:

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Its not the fall....its the sudden stop at the end.

Fly Rod
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Vinyl is Final. :) More time to go :fishin:

When applying the vinyl along the side of the house make sure the overlap faces towards the back yard.

gf2020
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
I removed all my vinyl. Replaced it with Hardie Plank siding (cement board) Nice stuff, I love it.

:agree:

X2, I am removing all of our old wooden clapboards and replacing with 6" Hardi-Plank prefinished. More expensive than vinyl, I imagine, but it looks better.