View Full Version : Plugs and Wires????

BigFish
03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
So I got the oil and filter in my truck changed a couple weeks ago....the guy at the dealership (yes dealership-oil and filter change $22.95) informs me that at 100,000 miles they recommend new spark plugs and new wires? So I say...."Maybe next time, what do you charge for that service?" He replies......"$250.00 to replace the plugs....:buds:.....and $400.00 for both the plugs and the wires":bshake::humpty: I asked him do you guys at least buy me lunch before you #^&#^&#^&#^& me???? Does that sound ummmm....ridiculous???

Swimmer
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
The come-on was the $22.95 oil change......

JohnR
03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Plugs are platinum tipped and run 5-10 each (or more on some cars) and labor is a pain and more of a pain at $100 / hour. Be thankful your plugs are easier to get at then the 04-F150

BigFish
03-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Been getting the oil changed there since I bought the truck! Its a good dealership and they have treated me right......it just sounded like a bit much? I harken back to the old days when I could change the plugs on my Jeep CJ in about 20 minutes and it only cost me about $8!!! Set of wires maybe $20!!:smash:

SurfCaster413
03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Be thankful your plugs are easier to get at then the 04-F150

Amen to that dealer recommended time frame for them is 10 hours. BIG $$$$$$

Thank god am a CHEVY Man

Raider Ronnie
03-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Most engines today don't have spark plug wires, they have direct coil packs, one for each plug.
Some are easier to access than others, thats where the labor cost is.
Also, you can't buy a spark plug for less than $5.00 today. $10.00 each is about average cost.

BigFish
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I am a Chevy guy too! Thanks for the insight guys....I guess things have changed???:rotf2:

tattoobob
03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Just hope that none of them break, because that is a major issue with those 100,000 mile plugs

PNG
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
check out rockauto.com for parts price comparison

striperman36
03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I have a diesel

JohnR
03-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I have a diesel

We know :hihi:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slingah
03-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I am a Chevy guy too! Thanks for the insight guys....I guess things have changed???:rotf2:

I sometimes am also baffled at the cost of certain items/services....I recently had a tune up done on my 03 Chevy Larry...it was like $450. It was more than than quote due to it has a distributor cap. I guess it is what it is.
Plus 2 new budget tires and an oil change...over 7 bones. Yikes.

striperman36
03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
We know :hihi:

No Soup for you!!

chefchris401
03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
check out rockauto.com for parts price comparison

I love this site, when we were rebuilding my 66 caddy we bought 95% of the parts there. So cheap and fast shipping.

Also has the option to see what other cars used te same part so if you want to look in junk yards or cl or eBay you know what else will work.

Great customer service.

Raven
03-03-2011, 08:36 PM
your getting WISE in your old age Larry

Raider Ronnie
03-04-2011, 06:41 AM
You guys who think you are spending a lot for tune ups & other mechanical work (and you are spending a lot more)
You should come onto the body shop and see what our end spends !
:biglaugh:

PRBuzz
03-04-2011, 06:51 AM
I still think that after the design engineers design, build a prototype, they should they should be required go out and perform mock service/repairs: any time you have to design a specialized tool to perform a service BAD DESIGN:smash:, any time you have to remove the engine to change an oil filter or a spark plug (or any other external engine part) BAD DESIGN:smash:, any time it costs $200 to change a $3 part BAD DESIGN:smash:

One of the headlamps blew in my SRX: parts $6 bill $200, they had to disassemble the entire front end to get to the bulb! :fury::smash::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Raider Ronnie
03-04-2011, 07:27 AM
I still think that after the design engineers design, build a prototype, they should they should be required go out and perform mock service/repairs: any time you have to design a specialized tool to perform a service BAD DESIGN:smash:, any time you have to remove the engine to change an oil filter or a spark plug (or any other external engine part) BAD DESIGN:smash:, any time it costs $200 to change a $3 part BAD DESIGN:smash:

One of the headlamps blew in my SRX: parts $6 bill $200, they had to disassemble the entire front end to get to the bulb! :fury::smash::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Phil,
It's all in their plan.
Keep all work ( & $ ) in house !
Computer software that non dealers can't access is one example !
Also, you think removing bumper and a few other front end parts to change your bulb is bad guys with ford super duty deisels really have it bad when the need engine work, gotta lift the cab & nose off the truck to work on that engine !

Sea Dangles
03-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Can't even buy wipers for my wifes car unless you go to the dealer.

rwilhelm
03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes that is a major rip off! Probably will take them 10 minutes to change the plugs.

tysdad115
03-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Be thankful your plugs are easier to get at then the 04-F150

John that can turn into a 2000.00 tune up if the heads have to come off. I wont touch one of them. They are a horror show when the electrode beaks off in the cylinder head.

tysdad115
03-04-2011, 10:22 AM
This thread needs a guy who's a service manager, can get parts at a great discount and does side work to help people out....I might know someone like that. Slingah- Why didn't you call me? Could have saved you some $$$ my friend.

JohnnyD
03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
You guys who think you are spending a lot for tune ups & other mechanical work (and you are spending a lot more)
You should come onto the body shop and see what our end spends !
:biglaugh:
How much of the $80-95/hr labor rate actually goes to the technician.

Labor should be a source of revenue (it definitely is in my business), but I don't have a luxury of charging a 100% markup on what I'm paying out.

Mike P
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
250,000 miles on the straight 6 in my Jeep, still on the original plugs and wires.

Raven
03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I would pull all the plugs and wire brush them with a soft wire brush
and re-gap them if need be or replace them noting which if any are darker than others...

as far as wires are concerned ...viewing the engine with no lights on what so ever on a real dark night
as long as there is no arking (sp) of sparks i'd just spray them with brake cleaner to dry up any moisture and keep running them for now. don't fix what ain't broke as the saying goes
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/bananalama1.gif

tysdad115
03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
No gapping the plugs in these Raven they will break the end off, they are worn out around 100K , his truck has eight coils with eight short wires to the plugs. Driving the newer models with even a slight misfire for an extended time causes the catalytic convertors to block up. Then it gets really expensive.

I would pull all the plugs and wire brush them with a soft wire brush
and re-gap them if need be or replace them noting which if any are darker than others...

as far as wires are concerned ...viewing the engine with no lights on what so ever on a real dark night
as long as there is no arking (sp) of sparks i'd just spray them with brake cleaner to dry up any moisture and keep running them for now. don't fix what ain't broke as the saying goes
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/bananalama1.gif

Raven
03-04-2011, 05:10 PM
No gapping the plugs in these Raven they will break the end off, they are worn out around 100K , his truck has eight coils with eight short wires to the plugs. Driving the newer models with even a slight misfire for an extended time causes the catalytic convertors to block up. Then it gets really expensive.

OH :bc: my mistake...
i guess i miss adjusting points from the old days http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/nod.gif

Slingah
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
thanks Andy...I'll remember next time...see you soon bud