View Full Version : Access issue

tattoobob
03-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Parker River Wildlife Refuge

Please all my S-B friends click this link fill out the form and mail it in,
They are trying to take our access away for Fishing and ORV ( Off-Road Vehicle) Driving. Please make sure you fill out in the comments that this is important for the disabled and elderly to provide access to the water and have the ability to fish the in ocean

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/planning/Parker%20River/PDF/Newsletter8_Feb.pdf

JohnR
03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
I think we need to make this a sticky. Maybe bring a bunch of copies to the MSBA show with a roll of stamps :btu:

Rob Rockcrawler
03-04-2011, 04:54 AM
I dont think i saw fishing mentioned anywhere on the list of activities. I only gave it a quick read. If they close it, it will be forever. Time to sharpen the pencils. Good idea bout bringing it to MSBA.

Plum Crazy
03-04-2011, 05:29 AM
We will have copies at the MBBA booth at Both the RISAA and MSBA Shows.
If you wish to fill out the forms and or drop them off (at our booth)I will personally deliver them to the Refuge.
We really need help here from as many people as we can find.
Please WRITE in that you wish to use the Refuge for FISHING and ORV ACCESS.

Raven
03-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I dont think i saw fishing mentioned anywhere on the list of activities. I only gave it a quick read. If they close it, it will be forever. Time to sharpen the pencils. Good idea bout bringing it to MSBA.

yep, it's on there

Sundowner
03-04-2011, 07:04 PM
t.bob.: My name is Soggy Bottom Boy in all the sports fantasy stuff I do and I think you are doin a sweet job at all this. I will be at RISAA and hope to meet you. Besides that, why would we let ppl decide our fate that dont do(enjoy) what we as recreactional(fisherman) and stuarts of the coast do and enjoy. I feel disheartened that the laws are left to the lawmakers that dont see, or LOOK, at the shore for what it can be, pure lack of information. Someone who represents the "Ocean State" should know what that entails, and these ppl have shown none of that. And I am absolutely sick of cleaning up after ppl that have a blatent disreguard for the laws and regulations that they came here to endure and feed thier families with. Never mind the ppl that enjoy thier seat because they appease the crowd

tattoobob
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately many will view this thread and very few if any will act

If we loose this or any access, it will be a domino affect up and down the east coast

togue
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
All, thanks for getting the word out. What follows is a copy of the email I have been sending out on ths topic. I have added a list at the bottom that details the specific workbook survey questions of interest and suggested responses so it will be easier and quicker for folks to get it done.

This is no joke, we need your help. Pass this on to anyone you know who has an interest in keeping fishing access open to the public.

I realize not all of you are in to the ORV drive-on beach/surf fishing, but you are all seriously involved in fishing in one form or another. Drive-on beach access to fish the surf for migratory game species is an almost extinct tradition that was once a way of life all along the entire Atlantic coast, and is about to be killed forever. The only remaining access point north of Cape Cod is the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge on Plum Island Massachusetts, and in the current plan it will go away forever if concerned members of the fishing community do not act immediately.

Why should you care? Because your access to the waters you want to fish is under attack on all fronts, and every step like this chisels away at the sport. The attack in relentless, whether by the super rich who just don't like to look out and see you out there spoiling their private views of the nature they own, or by the overzealous liberal conservatives who would just as soon ban all fishing as a cruel blood sport and who think it is their right to force you to stop eating anything but your vegetables.

All forms of access are under attack. Many prime walk-on fishing access points in the Northeast have already been shut down in the past 2-3 seasons. Access restricted to "residents only" is becoming the rule rather than the exception. Access to public waters by boat is becoming increasingly difficult as land is bought through private sale and closed to the public. This seemingly small step may not affect you directly, but it is part of a bigger attack that will catch you eventually if not stopped. Liberal influenced public education has neglected to inform our youth that the basis for the foundation of the U.S. National Parks system, the first of its kind in the history of the world, was all because Theodore Roosevelt had the presence of mind to create a program that would put and keep access to wild game of all types open to the common man as a public resource, reversing the trend all the world over that fishing and hunting was a sport only for the enjoyment of the land-endowed wealthy and Royalty.

The good public servants of the Parker River and Thacher Islands National Wildlife Refuge have started their long-term Comprehensive Conservation Planning (CCP), and will soon decide based on public input how they will manage Refuge use from this year forward. Their primary focus is on providing opportunities for bird-watching and hiking, and not for traditional surf fishing. For those of you who haven't experienced it, just let me say that while I have nothing personal against my fine feathered friends or those who enjoy watching them, I have had many bad exchanges with birdwatchers and other nature nuts who apparently don't like to see fisherman out and about on the shores.

Take five minutes and take a stand. What actually happens will depend on PUBLIC FEEDBACK. Help out your fishing brothers and put your input on the public record.

Fill out the survey information using the "Planning Newsletter and Issues Workbook" form at the link below. If you are not going to the RISAA or MSBA shows this month then you can return the completed workbook by U.S Postal Service (snail mail) using the address on the form. The MBBA (Massachusetts Beach Buggy Association) will have copies of this booklet at their booth at both the upcomming RISAA and MSBA Shows. You can stop by and get them there or print them yourselves. They are also available at Surfland B & T. If you wish you can fill them out and drop them off at the MBBA show booth and Nancy Brown will gladly make sure they get hand-delivered to the Refuge.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/planning/Parker%20River/PDF/Newsletter8_Feb.pdf

For more info on how this is being pitched to the general public, you can read the propaganda at:

Parker River and Thacher Island National Wildlife Refuge CCP - U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (http://www.fws.gov/northeast/planning/Parker%20River/ccphome.html)

Please remember to fill in the comment fields that your interest is in drive-on beach access to surf fish. You will note that there are plenty of boxes to check if you are intersted in hiking or birdwatching, but in many cases none at all for fishing and no mention whatsoever of drive-on access.To preserve our access you will need to fill in the following:

Question 2: Check "Other (please specify)" and add comment that you want "ORV drive-on access to surf fish".

Question 4: Write-in that you "most value the freedom to drive onto the beach to fish the surf"

Question 5: Write-in that you consider "the most important issue facing the Parker RIver National Wildlife Refuge is the loss or any other restriction of my freedom to drive onto the beach to fish the surf"

Question 11:

Under the "Fishing opportunities" row, Circle "1" for does not meet your needs at all, and circle "A" for very important.

Under the "Other services" row, write-in "ORV drive-on fishing access", then Circle "1" for does not meet your needs at all, and circle "A" for very important.

Question 13: Check "Yes" and write-in "ORV drive-on fishing access"

Question 16: Write-in "that fishing in general, and ORV drive-on fishing access in specific is much too restricted under the current system and should be increased and improved for the future"

The MBBA (Massachusetts Beach Buggy Association) will have copies of this booklet at their booth at both the upcomming RISAA and MSBA Shows. You can stop by and get them there or print them yourselves. They are also available at Surfland B & T. If you wish you can drop them off at the MBBA show booth and Nancy Brown will gladly make sure they get hand-delivered to the Refuge.

Thanks!

tattoobob
03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks Martin

Plum Crazy
03-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Good job Martin-Thanks. :) That should help make it easier on people.
If anyone would like a copy mailed to them just shoot me a message.
Nance

Green Light
03-12-2011, 09:01 AM
I am acting now!

tattoobob
03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I hope that some of you are sending these in because we need all the help we can get, we have until April 11th, 2011

Thank you Bob

xyzs
03-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I think we need to make this a sticky. Maybe bring a bunch of copies to the MSBA show with a roll of stamps :btu:

how about a box and and have it fedx ????? :fury::fury::fury:

Plum Crazy
03-15-2011, 05:04 AM
If anyone wants to drop them off at the MSBA Show to the S-B booth or the MBBA booth I will personally get them to the refuge.
We handed out hundreds of them at RISAA. I gave John R a stack cause he ran out.
Please, please fill these out. This is the only ORV access we have on the N. Shore. We need your help. We won't get another chance to do something about this. Public input is VERY important.

It just goes to show you that they want to deter us by making us mail that huge booklet and not making it easy by letting us do it on line. Let's show them they we can not be deterred so easily.

tattoobob
03-20-2011, 09:44 AM
There will be 2 meeting this week if you want to come and voice your opinion this is a good chance

March 22, 2011

7- 9 p.m.

The Crane Estate
290 Argilla Road
Ipswich, MA 01938

March 23, 2011

7- 9 p.m.

Newbury Fire Department Fireman’s Memorial Hall,
3 Morgan Ave.
Newbury, MA 01951

The MBBA will be going to the meeting on the 23rd

tattoobob
03-20-2011, 09:47 AM
You can also send an email with your comments and opinions to the address

E-mail: northeastplanning@fws.gov. Include “Parker River CCP” in the subject line of the message.

The Dad Fisherman
03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
The MBBA will be going to the meeting on the 23rd

I'll be at the meeting on the 23rd as well

tattoobob
03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll see you there Kevin

tattoobob
03-24-2011, 06:00 PM
The meeting went well last night, the staff was friendly and listened to every comment and questions from all 40 people that chose to come

although they didn't record the meeting there was someone taking notes what he wrote down I guess would be what he thought was important who knows.

A few of the issues that were brought up
Speeding on the refuge was a huge issue with about 10% and I have to agree

Sandy Point was another which after they explained the troubles and enforcement problems I can understand

Invasive Plants came up and people were both for keeping it and others wanted it gone.

Butterflies were brought up, I don't think I saw one last fall

Opening of closed paths to bird watchers and trails to the beach for fishing.

Plovers took a hit and there was a little bashing by one or two people
one fisherman and one townie (I'm not sure what he used the refuge for)

There were a couple of hunters duck I believe, and the refuge has banned dogs there and they want to be able to train them there

there was alot of fish talk and access talk to much to write down
I know from the meeting that fishing isn't going away but I am sure that ORV Access at some point will be taking away from us.

I'm sure I missed something

Green Light
03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Quick update...

We are working on a few things behind the scenes.
I will post again soon.
Just wanted to let you all know that we are not taking this lightly.

Plum Crazy
03-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Thanks! I have a bunch of copies of the workbook if anyone needs them shoot me a message and I will get them to you.~ N

maddmatt
03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
where is the RFA on all this?? MBBA?? On the water? New england fisherman?

Plum Crazy
03-31-2011, 03:07 AM
The MBBA is all over this and we can use all the help we can get.

Green Light
04-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi All!

Here is an article with a summary of how to respond to the key questions:
Parker River NWR CCP | Plum Island Surfcasters (http://www.plumislandsurfcasters.net/Parker-River-NWR-CCP)

Thank you in advance for standing with us on this.

Tight lines,
Fish360

tattoobob
04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Plum Crazy emailed me this, anyone that uses the beach for fishing and fishing via ORV should attend this meeting. Hope to see as many as possible. I'm sure Nancy can answer any questions you may have about this

Thanks Bob

For more information, please contact
MBBA President Scott Morris at scottmorris@mbba.net
or MBBA Vice President Patrick Paquette at patrickpaquette@mbba.net

Plum Crazy
05-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Don't forget the meeting Saturday at 6 PM-Newbury Fire Hall. We really need your input and would love to hear your ideas on what you would like to see done during the CCP process.
You do not have to be an MBBA member to attend.