View Full Version : Melting Quick!

BigFish
03-06-2011, 09:23 AM
The snow pack is melting rapidly.....I can see most of my back yard and since just yesterday my deck! I will be sitting on that deck this week finally! More rain tonight and warmer temps all week and this should mostly be gone by next weekend!! I can now move my yak trailer and access the yak rack and the bulkhead so I think this week will be time to haul the yaks out of the basement and have them ready for those first 60 degree days that will be here soon! Early season yak trout fishing is gonna be fun!!! Are you going to be getting ready for the season shortly??:uhuh:

Raider Ronnie
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Hope so.
I got a 3ft high about 25ft sq pile of solid snow/ice blocking my boat in.
Tried moving some yesterday with the plow on dump truck, just drove the front tires of the truck up on the pile.
May call a bud to come over with his front end loader.

niko
03-06-2011, 09:29 AM
i'm pulling the cover off the boat this week. got a few things to do for maintenance and upgrades. haddock hunting by the end of the month. got a bigfish at the raffle last night - you should have come

striperman36
03-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Front yard showed up over night, should be almost clear after tonights rain

BigFish
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Beautiful down along the canal today! Almost zero snow down there....to para-phrase Charlie Sheen....."Melting"!!!!!!:rotf2: Got a good 6 mile walk in.....time to lose the winter weight!

tynan19
03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
12-18 in the mountains. Can't wait to get back up there.

MarkB
03-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Up to 58 today, but I still have snow cover over most of the front and back yard. I have trees to the east of my property, and even leafless trees provide shade that slows down melting. Neighbors with no trees have bare grass.

Saltheart
03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Tons melted yesterday and last night. having a night above freezing so all the day time melting is not re frozen at night makes a huge difference.

takes 81 times more heat to raise ice from 32 to 33 degrees F than it does to raise liquid water from 32 to 33 degrees F.

striperman36
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
1 to 2 inches of rain tonight temps stayin in the 40's

SurfCaster413
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Lots of water out there right now. The rivers are a rising

BigFish
03-07-2011, 07:15 AM
My backyard is now devoid of any snow and I can now walk into the backyard between the house and my shop without climbing over a snowbank!!! :buds:

Raider Ronnie
03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Wild weather last night.
Wind was so loud woke me out of a sound sleep !
Turned on the back yard lights around 3am thinking it was blowing so hard I was going to find my boat laying on it's side.

striperman36
03-07-2011, 07:35 AM
What snow. Oh, the stuff we are going to get this week

rphud
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
A river runs through it... my yard that is, and then down the driveway. Still under the snow pack though. Cannot see any grass-like areas yet, and probably will not this week or maybe next.

Mr. Sandman
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
We didn't get much snow this year. Kids only missed on day of school and even that was a stretch. Have not seen snow on the ground in weeks. I am even thinking of taking the cover off the boat this week. Mainland got hammered, islands got wind/rain/and some slush

rphud
03-07-2011, 10:19 AM
A river runs through it... my yard that is, and then down the driveway. Still under the snow pack though. Cannot see any grass-like areas yet, and probably will not this week or maybe next.

MarkB
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
My yard cleared overnight. The spinach I planted last fall never really grew to harvesting size, but it's still green now. If I'm lucky, I'll have early Spring spinach this year.

FishermanTim
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I was ice fishing yesterday in Westwood and you could see and hear the ice melting. I'm glad I brought my 8' plank, or it would have been a wet ride home.
The ice was still 10-12" thick out on the pond, 4-5" of clear and the rest the frozen slush stuff. When that stuff goes, it REALLY GOES and open water is very close at hand.

I was able to get on the ice with no problem. The shore was exposed about a foot out, but the ice was , of course, thinnest closer to the shore.
When I left, I repositioned my plank, pushed my sled right up on shore, and walked over and half way across the ice gave way.
Fortunately for me I chose the shallowest shore for planking, so the plank only sank about 6 inches, as the starting point was still on stable ice. The plank pivoted down, hence the 6 inch sinking.

I would venture to claim that the eastern half of the state will be unsafe before the week is out. The shores will be gone faster than a Charlie Sheen casting call!