View Full Version : camping and fishing

niko
03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
larrys overnight yak trip has got me thinking i would like to do some trips with my oldest boy this year. was thinking a trip to race point. any others suggestions on camping spots close to fishing action. boston harbor islands would be cool but maybe next year when he's a little older

capecodkid
03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Washburn Island in albie season!

Piscator
03-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Paul, consider freshwater too as you will have more options. Quabbin Reservoir is great for that. You can catch a billion small mouth bass and he will love it. Bunch of camp grounds there and you can rent a tin boat with 9.9 HP for the day too. It's been a while but I think there are 3 access ponts at Quabbin and all rent boats for the day.

Piscator
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Paul, consider freshwater too as you will have more options. Quabbin Reservoir is great for that. You can catch a billion small mouth bass and he will love it. Bunch of camp grounds there and you can rent a tin boat with 9.9 HP for the day too. It's been a while but I think there are 3 access ponts at Quabbin and all rent boats for the day.

Here is a link, I'm sure there is more out there.

Department of Conservation and Recreation (http://www.mass.gov/dcr/watersupply/watershed/quabfish.htm)

Sea Dangles
03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Niko, there is one island in Boston harbor you could stay on overnight.Right outside of Hull.I was given a tour,beer and history lesson there two years ago.I guess this island used to be the infirmary for newbies too ill to enter Boston.Nice and clean and kept that way by a gent who has been summering there for years.

tattoobob
03-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Niko, there is one island in Boston harbor you could stay on overnight.Right outside of Hull.I was given a tour,beer and history lesson there two years ago.I guess this island used to be the infirmary for newbies too ill to enter Boston.Nice and clean and kept that way by a gent who has been summering there for years.

Just be careful of ticks those Boston Harbor Island are loaded with them

there are a couple you can drive your boat to park it and camp

jasonsnova
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
for stripers/cod/flounder etc.. i highly suggest salisbury state park , cheap, right on the water access to ocean and the merrimack. Has great night time yak and boat fishing on the flats and ocean front and the mouth by day...
i book memorial day weekend and 4th of july weekend every year.....always good fishing dates

tattoobob
03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
for stripers/cod/flounder etc.. i highly suggest salisbury state park , cheap, right on the water access to ocean and the merrimack. Has great night time yak and boat fishing on the flats and ocean front and the mouth by day...
i book memorial day weekend and 4th of july weekend every year.....always good fishing dates

I used to go there all the time 2 weeks at a time, I got turned off a few years ago because of the not so friendly staff all the drunks and massive amount of fish racks at the boat launch left to rot and stinking up the whole place

Pete F.
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
RI has a couple of parks, Burlingame and fishermans memorial. I only go in the offseason till mid june or after labor day and it's easy to get a spot. No drunks allowed which is nice.

Trialz
03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I am going to Elk Neck Maryland [state park]

Its right next to the bay where I am staying. Wake up at 5:30, gather my bait and hit the small path. I have never fished the Chesapeake before unfortunately. If I have a bad day, there is a lake where i can easily catch a 5 pound bass and cook her up. I cannot wait and it is highly recommended to do so =]

Trialz out!

zimmy
03-09-2011, 10:29 PM
shawmee crowell in sandwich. burlingame sp, charlestown ri

jasonsnova
03-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I used to go there all the time 2 weeks at a time, I got turned off a few years ago because of the not so friendly staff all the drunks and massive amount of fish racks at the boat launch left to rot and stinking up the whole place

well you can no longer drink in any state park so thats been solved...and i never had a problem with the staff.....but i am usually out fishing, camp ground is purely for sleep and showers! lol

tattoobob
03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
well you can no longer drink in any state park so thats been solved...

Well there was no drinking aloud when I camped there and that never stops anyone. I'm not going to get into what went on there here but I will say this thank god there are always State police at that park

jasonsnova
03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Well there was no drinking aloud when I camped there and that never stops anyone. I'm not going to get into what went on there here but I will say this thank god there are always State police at that park

ya always SP patroling there....i think its kind of mellow, with the occasional boat ramp jack ass ( stay away from the ramps at 6pm) ! like i said i am always fishing so the camp ground is the minor part