View Full Version : Great New Book: "Eels" by James Prosek

GoFish
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Worth reading. Some remarkable information about these incredibly important and mysterious fish. Though his first experiences with eels were as striper bait, he spends a great deal of time on the cultural significance of the eel in south pacific cultures, and the current state of eel science and the fishery.

Now in serious decline, eels are (were) found almost worldwide. They were once up to 50% of the biomass in american river systems, and still account for 15% of the world's commercial fishery. (Who knew? I just buy them at Twin Maples, whap them on a rock and go fishing...)

He writes a great story. If you're interested in this fish in particular, or the health and future of fisheries in general, take a look.

Nebe
03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
consider the eel was another interesting read.

joe the plumber
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I will most certainly pick that book up...Eels have allways fascinated me and if you don't mind, here is the main reason why.

Forty years ago my uncle would take me, as a ten year old,"Eelin"....
Back then the Poquetanuck Cove,a tidal estuary, in Preston Ct would freeze over thick enough to support us.

We would chop a hole in the ice and with a 15 foot pole with a 6 pronged hook on the end,we would probe it in the mud below.When you felt a wiggle on the end,you would pull it up,hand over hand,and pull anywhere between 1 and 3 Eels off that hook.We would fill a couple burlap bags enough so they were not too heavy and could be carried off the ice.The Eels would range in size from shoestrings to 36 inches long.

We would bring them back home,clean them then share them amongst the family.We ate many,many Eels,all Winter long...I will never forget how good they tasted fried in butter in a cast iron fry pan.We would laugh as my Mother cooked them and the chunks would wiggle in the pan untill the heat killed all the remaining nerve endings...

I drove by that cove so many times this year knowing it was probably safe enough to give it a try.I wonder if they are still there...

I am sorry for the long story.I just had to share.

Thanks,Joe

MarkB
03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
My late mother made a face every time eels were mentioned. Her father - a Swedish immigrant - used to bring eels home all the time, and she got sick of them.

I know Swedes love smoked eel, but my mother overdosed on eel at an early age.

Has anyone ever seen the movie The Tin Drum?

robc22
03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Jeez.....when was the last time you saw some one spearing eels through the ice??......

blondterror
03-16-2011, 12:46 PM
James is a very talented artist... I have seen some of his originals and have a few of his books. His book about his fishing friend Joe is my favorite. he went to Yale and gradualted about 4 yrs ago...

doktorfaustus77
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
My late mother made a face every time eels were mentioned. Her father - a Swedish immigrant - used to bring eels home all the time, and she got sick of them.

I know Swedes love smoked eel, but my mother overdosed on eel at an early age.

Has anyone ever seen the movie The Tin Drum?

Horse head eel fishing scene is unforgettable. I wonder if that would work or if it was just added for dramatic effect. Cool movie anyhow