View Full Version : 5/30 minute epoxy

Rob Rockcrawler
03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Is it possible to use a 5 or 30 minute epoxy on a guide. I replaced a guide on a back up rod and noticed my flex coat epoxy is pretty much solid. It doesn't have to look good, you should see my wrap job, just needs to be functional. Not sure where to mail order flex coat anymore.

srt44116
03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't do it. Just go to ur local shop and pick up some flex coat. They come in small kits and are pretty cheap. Where are you from?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

beamie
03-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Will it function....ya, but not that good. Will get yellow over time and is not as flexible as coatings made for rods, it will crack easier....that is kind of the point.

Saltheart
03-15-2011, 12:04 AM
5 minute will yellow and look like dried snots in no time , then it will crack up and flake off. 30 minute will survive longer but eventually will also turn snot yellow.

Just google rodbuilding supplies and almost all sell flex coat. If the hardener you have is still liquid but the resin part looks a little solid , like wax , you can just heat the resin up and it will liquify again. Even 5 year old flexcoat will be better than 5 or 30 minute epoxy. I would use polyurethane or varnish before using the epoxy.

Rob Rockcrawler
03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The resin is a little solid, pretty much like wax, so i will warm it up and give it a go. If i cant get it to the right consistency i will mail order some. Figure that muddy hole will have it. I am a bit intrigued as to what this yellow snot will actually look like.

stripermaineiac
03-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Worse comes to worse you can use hard as nails fingernail polish for a quick fix. You've got the time now just get one of those flex coat packs they sell now. small amount easy to use and not a lot of waste.There's a big diff between epoxy glue and finish. One has little flex the other has none plush finish has UV inhibitors to prevent yellowing. Ron