View Full Version : I finally swam my 1st plugs

Hookset
03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, I went out to the NJ bay, Graveling Point to dunk some bait and swim my lures for the 1st time. Thanks to everyone's feedback, I had much success in the swimming the plugs. One of the plugs swam unbelievable and two others looked great too. I will start with the one which I felt swam the best and the next one I have in the works

Hookset
03-14-2011, 07:40 PM
This one also swam well, but not quite as well.

Hookset
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
These two also looked good. The one danny stye had some good swimming action while the sandeel was more suttle. Thanks again for all the feedback, hopefully soon there will be a picture with a fish on the other end.

Hookset
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
I swam this needle that I had previously posted. The funny thing is I didnt know how to weight it so i have a pretty sizable piece of lead in the tail. It stood up like a bobber when at rest, we laughed pretty hard at it. But the cool thing is when retrieved it really danced nicely accross the water bobbing from side to side nicely.

numbskull
03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Like the red head. Cut the shank of that tail hook and try it with only a flag, bend the line tie down a little, I'll bet that one is a winner. Subtle is very good if you seek large fish.

Hookset
03-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Numbskull
great feedback, thanks! I will give that a try and i am sure it will make a difference, amazing the impact of little details. What size hooks do you use, these are 2/0.

chefchris401
03-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Those look sweet.

Like numbskull said lose the tail hook and go with a flag on the rear of the eely redhead.

On the Danny it appears that the weight is in front of the hook, am I right? If so try swapping locations, think that will help the action. Also on dannys there's a few different styles of lips, could play around with those too. I use an unconviental lip in my med and large dannys.

Nice shapes and paint.

Keep it up and play around with them.

Usually a lil tweaking can make a decent plug way better.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Hookset
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
chefchris401
Interesting, I will definitely give that a try swapping the hook and weight. I have some Lefty #2 high slots I was thinking of trying.

numbskull
03-15-2011, 10:10 AM
What size hooks do you use, these are 2/0.

Usually 3/0's but it depends on the size and width of the plug and how you want it to swim. A high slot lip will want to pull the plug down and surface swimmers that use high slot lips usually depend on body buoyancy to keep them up so smaller hooks can help. I like swimmers with low slot lips that are weighted to sit low in the water and work at very slow retrieves (at least for night fishing, by day a little faster action can be good).