View Full Version : X flock heat shrink grip material

numbskull
03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Just ordered some from MH. $7 a FOOT !!!!!!!!????????
Anybody know of a more practical source?

striperman36
03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
what did RONZ have on his grips at RISSA? looked more than flock

Big Dave
03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Numby
I buy rolls of heavy duty PVC shrink from McMaster Carr its about a buck a foot and pretty durable Comes in colors as well

stripermaineiac
03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Take a look on ebay under rodbuilding. There's a bunch of it there. Much better pricees in some of the stores there. Ron

rphud
03-16-2011, 07:36 AM
I have seen it in the catalog, but have not seen it in person or used any. Curious how everybody likes the stuff and how you use it.

Back Beach
03-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Get it from CMS, George.

What are you doing with the stuff anyways, regripping your old golf clubs?

numbskull
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
What are you doing with the stuff anyways, regripping your old golf clubs?

Driving up the price of titanium and single handly pulling Japan out of their economic crisis it seems.

Back Beach
03-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Driving up the price of titanium and single handly pulling Japan out of their economic crisis it seems.

You must be the guy who's hoarding all the iodine pills too.

Goose
03-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Shrink tube is like anything else, its what makes custom rod building 'custom'. You may have to spend a buck or two to get the X's in the shrink tube... sooooo what. Imo, its what makes rod building unique. Its wicked easy, use a heat gun. I'll post a pic or two when I get a chance.

tlapinski
03-17-2011, 07:00 AM
X-Flock goes on all my rods now. The way I look at it, I was re-wrapping the grip on each rod every off season as I wear through the cork tape on my more well used rods in a season. That and the cork dries out and starts looking like crap by the end of a season in the surf. Witht he flock, that is pretty much eliminated as the stuff really holds up.

Rob Rockcrawler
03-18-2011, 07:10 AM
I love the stuff. I got some from Mike last year, its the first time i was shocked at how much something cost from M&d's. Shocked but would pay the price over again, that stuff is great. I Was looking through the mud hole catalog and its really expensive there as well. I will be checking out the ebay. Even at 7 bucks a foot its worth it in my opinion. I didnt have a heat gun handy so i used my gas stove top to shrink it CAREFULLY.

stripermaineiac
03-19-2011, 07:10 AM
we used to use this stuff yrs ago on the custom cod rods for some of the charter boats to protect the grips due to anglers using the rail as a pivot point while jigging. Stuff held up for 3 yrs with some real heavy use.Kept the hypalon from breaking down.Well worth the money on a heavy use rod. Covers anything. A good hair dryer will work on some of it if set on High.

numbskull
03-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Cost aside, I've been using it for several years.

New problem, though. When I cut some off a rod today to rebuild it, I found the cork tape under it was still wet (after 4 months hanging horizontally in a heated dry basement). Seemed to add significant weight to the tape.

Anybody got a better idea for what to put under it? Or does anybody try to seal the ends?

OLD GOAT
03-20-2011, 09:22 AM
You could try to double the shrink wrap two layers

pbadad
03-21-2011, 08:18 PM
On the butt end where the cap goes, extend the shrink wrap past the blank end 1/4-3/8" heat and the wrap goes around the corner. Glue cap on. End sealed. Thread wrap the reel seat end then epoxy over to seal.

mikecc
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Just ordered some from MH. $7 a FOOT !!!!!!!!????????
Anybody know of a more practical source?

I love the stuff. I got some from Mike last year, its the first time i was shocked at how much something cost from M&d's. Shocked but would pay the price over again

Guys thought I was nuts to charge an extra $20 to install it over the CT now you see why. Stuff is not cheap
we charged on avarge $14 for a 30" section for the material.
still have some of thew 1" & 1 1/8" at the shop.

Sea Dangles
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
I think it would slip without the cork tape underneath.Maybe there is a spray on adhesive that could be used,similar to regripping golf clubs.this could really cut down on weight as well as diameter.Could make for a comfy stick.

numbskull
03-22-2011, 05:49 AM
On another site, a builder from NC said he sprayed Plasti Dip onto the blank (while rotating) before putting on the shrink wrap. Sounds like an idea worth trying if I can find the stuff (and the heat doesn't melt it).