View Full Version : NC Moves For Gamefish Status

afterhours
03-16-2011, 08:10 AM
NC Moves for Striper Game Fish Status :)

HB 353 (The Coastal Game Fish Bill) was introduced into the House side of the NC General Assembly today. The bill if enacted would make Red Drum, Speckled Trout, and Striped Bass game fish and prohibit the sale, purchase, barter or transportation of these fish for sale.

Jackbass
03-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Who is this legislation written by? Was this in the works before this winter's fiasco?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

afterhours
03-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
HB 353, The Coastal Game Fish Bill Filed in NC Legislature Today!
HB 353, the "Coastal Game Fish Bill" was filed today in the House of the NC General Assembly. Primary Sponsors of the bill are Darrell McCormick, Rick Glazier, Dan Ingle, and Ruth Samuelson. This bill when made law would prohibit the sale of Red Drum, Spotted Sea Trout, and Striped Bass here in NC. A "game fish" is simply a fish that cannot be bought or sold, and is managed as a recreational fish only.

These 3 fish only represent less than 2% of the commercial harvest values here in NC, but combined the positive economic impacts easily exceed 250 million dollars to the NC economy annually as recreational sport fish. South Carolina designated these fish as game fish in the mid 1980's, and it is high time NC follows suit! You can see the bill at this link.... H353 [Filed] (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/HTML/H353v0.html)

Go to the NC Game Fish website and see a complete list of NC legislators with their email links here... NC Game Fish (http://ncgamefish.blogspot.com/)

Jackbass
03-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Good stuff I had heard this was in the works I didn't know how quickly they would get it filed however. It should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Nebe
03-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Awesome!

PRBuzz
03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
South Carolina designated these fish as game fish in the mid 1980's, and it is high time NC follows suit!

It should read that it is high time: VA, MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME follows suit!

Sorry if I included a state which might already classify stripers as game fish but you get my point.

With fish farming there is not need to take wild fish for commercial purposes and if the farms can't produce enough to meet demand: expand the farms! Job opportunities and stimulation of the economy.

HugeDinghy
03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
is there any chance of it passing?

spence
03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
With fish farming there is not need to take wild fish for commercial purposes and if the farms can't produce enough to meet demand: expand the farms!
I think you'd get a lot of push back here in terms of potential quality and marketability.

-spence

Sea Flat
03-16-2011, 12:30 PM
That is incredible news. Maybe we can just keep it coming North with the designations.

MakoMike
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I'll bet right now that it doesn't even come close to passing.

Chesapeake Bill
03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
You got it MM. Destined to die in committee. As long as Marc Bassknight is alive it has no chance. He may be out but he still has favors to call in.

tattoobob
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
It should read that it is high time: VA, MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME follows suit!

Sorry if I included a state which might already classify stripers as game fish but you get my point.

With fish farming there is not need to take wild fish for commercial purposes and if the farms can't produce enough to meet demand: expand the farms! Job opportunities and stimulation of the economy.

With fish farming they still need to rape the ocean of forage fish

basswipe
03-16-2011, 06:09 PM
With fish farming they still need to rape the ocean of forage fish

:confused:

Stripedbass are the easiest of hatchery fish to propagate as is what they eat as fry as is what cleans up after them in the hatcheries.

The stripedbass hatcheries/farms require nothing from the ocean.

Not the greatest statement on your behalf.:smash:

Raven
03-16-2011, 06:20 PM
there are places down south
ponds to be more specific
that have porous mud banks
chalk full of crawdads/crayfish
that are basically unwanted pests
and would be a perfect food for
farm raised striped bass.

That being said... you have to realize
that even beef cattle are being fed fish protein
[you already know the company that's doing it.]
supplements in a dry form after the oil
has been extracted for vitamin D supplements.

KRILL oil is the much better alternative for that.

striperman36
03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Great. Now if that would only also include penalties for discards

Haus
03-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Great News!!!!

tattoobob
03-16-2011, 08:33 PM
:confused:

Stripedbass are the easiest of hatchery fish to propagate as is what they eat as fry as is what cleans up after them in the hatcheries.

The stripedbass hatcheries/farms require nothing from the ocean.

Not the greatest statement on your behalf.:smash:

I did say fish farming, not striped bass farming. I know nothing about Striped Bass farming. I guess I was quoting from a tuna fish show I watched last year