View Full Version : Japan earthquake/tsunami

Raider Ronnie
03-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Got to wonder what the effect it will have on tuna being shipped over.
I would think they got much bigger concerns than buying and eating tuna for sushi !

big jay
03-17-2011, 07:03 AM
This isn't looking good.

Best to go with a buyer this year that really understands the secondary overseas markets, and the premium domestic market.

I think the chance of getting a shipping bill rather than a fat check is going to be alot higher than ever this year.

Typhoon
03-17-2011, 07:43 AM
This ESA listing happens we won't have to worry about shipping tuna.

Bronko
03-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Demand could very well be off the charts. I have seen 2 different reports that fish brokers and sushi houses have zero tuna. Ports were destroyed, fleets were destroyed and supplies ruined. One reporter went as far to say that the demand for tuna and other fresh fish could hit an all time high.

buckman
03-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Demand could very well be off the charts. I have seen 2 different reports that fish brokers and sushi houses have zero tuna. Ports were destroyed, fleets were destroyed and supplies ruined. One reporter went as far to say that the demand for tuna and other fresh fish could hit an all time high.

and long term Japan will most likley use the loss of boats and fisherman to reduce their fleet size.

Shrimp prices went up after Katrina but we still ate shrimp and Tuna is part of their culture.

Typhoon
03-18-2011, 07:19 AM
If you read what the guy Heli (tuna exporter) is saying ,tuna prices will be in the sh1tter all summer because Sendai is a major market for Boston bluefin and the market is gone, vaporized. Also japanese are solemn people and won't have many festivals this year.

read through here
2011 Bluefin Quotas Just Came Out (http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f186/2011-bluefin-quotas-just-came-out-1228554.html)

9 pieces on Tsukiji last night, 9 pieces unsold. I've never seen that. No buyers.

pricesj (http://www.marunaka-net.co.jp/maruna_e/tunae.htm)

big jay
03-18-2011, 08:16 AM
and long term Japan will most likley use the loss of boats and fisherman to reduce their fleet size.

Shrimp prices went up after Katrina but we still ate shrimp and Tuna is part of their culture.

What makes you think they would reduce their fleet? The U.S. is the only country in the world that thinks putting their fisherman out of business is a good thing.
They'll probably get government grants to come back with bigger and better boats.

buckman
03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
What makes you think they would reduce their fleet? The U.S. is the only country in the world that thinks putting their fisherman out of business is a good thing.
They'll probably get government grants to come back with bigger and better boats.

My current client studies Japanese fisheries for a living. I'm just passing along his well informed info. He maintains prices will be good for imported tuna. He told me that the Japanese government are now buying out fisherman, just like we do here.

buckman
03-18-2011, 05:58 PM
If you read what the guy Heli (tuna exporter) is saying ,tuna prices will be in the sh1tter all summer because Sendai is a major market for Boston bluefin and the market is gone, vaporized. Also japanese are solemn people and won't have many festivals this year.

read through here
2011 Bluefin Quotas Just Came Out (http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f186/2011-bluefin-quotas-just-came-out-1228554.html)

9 pieces on Tsukiji last night, 9 pieces unsold. I've never seen that. No buyers.

pricesj (http://www.marunaka-net.co.jp/maruna_e/tunae.htm)

This guy Heli really knows his stuff and I enjoy everyone of his post.

big jay
03-18-2011, 06:32 PM
My current client studies Japanese fisheries for a living. I'm just passing along his well informed info. He maintains prices will be good for imported tuna. He told me that the Japanese government are now buying out fisherman, just like we do here.

Good info - hope he's right about the prices.

JackK
03-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Good info - hope he's right about the prices.

:uhuh:

5.30 doesn't cut it