View Full Version : Hillbilly Hand Fishing

MarshCappa
03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Anybody catch that show on Animal Planet last night? Freakin hilarious. I guess anyone can get a show these days.

PRBuzz
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
You mean "noodling": diving underwater and using your hand&arm as bait for BIG catfish.

MarshCappa
03-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Ya PRB! I was glued.

The Dad Fisherman
03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
there's even a website dedicated to chicks who noodle.....

PRBuzz
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
there's even a website dedicated to chicks who noodle.....

Check this out:

YouTube - Girls Fearless Catfish Noodling - 72 pounds! w Manny Puig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIpOUgQt-g&feature=player_embedded)

MarshCappa
03-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Check this out:

YouTube - Girls Fearless Catfish Noodling - 72 pounds! w Manny Puig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIpOUgQt-g&feature=player_embedded)

Nice is this on cable? I'll watch this.

FishermanTim
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
It was funny, because when theu had the guys do it, they told them after the "instructors" pulled out a big cat that it was "catch and release", which could only lead me to believe that the segment was staged and that the fish had already been caught and released numerous times beforehand, which would tire it out and make it much easier to handle. Watch how "active",...err I mean "docile" the catfish is while they are holding it.

SurfCaster413
03-17-2011, 02:11 PM
No way in hell would I do noodling sure is fun to watch though.

Fishoholic
03-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Check this out:

:drool::drool:

my only gripe is if they are gonna release them I wish they would be a little easier on the gills. just my .02:smash:

HugeDinghy
03-17-2011, 02:42 PM
No way in hell would I do noodling sure is fun to watch though.

no kidding....I'm with you.

numbskull
03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Looks pretty staged, to say the least. I even suspect they electroshocked the fish.

On a more real note, Sauerkraut and I watched "Heavy", an old bonefish guide in the S Andros, reach into a mangrove bush, feel around awhile, and come out with a 3-4 lb mangrove snapper for his dinner. The single most impressive fishing trick I've ever seen. I begged him to show me how, but he insisted my hands weren't tough enough and I'd hurt myself trying. Probably right.

The guy also had cataracts as dense as I've ever seen, yet he could still spot bonefish faster than anyone else, just through his peripheral vision.

As tough as he was, he took one look at Sauerkraut in his surgical mask get up and backed away fast.....he thought he had some sort of communicable disease. Probably right again.

Fishoholic
03-17-2011, 03:31 PM
On a more real note, Sauerkraut and I watched "Heavy", an old bonefish guide in the S Andros, reach into a mangrove bush, feel around awhile, and come out with a 3-4 lb mangrove snapper for his dinner. The single most impressive fishing trick I've ever seen. I begged him to show me how, but he insisted my hands weren't tough enough and I'd hurt myself trying. Probably right.

The mouth on those is like a german Shepperd :err:

The guy also had cataracts as dense as I've ever seen, yet he could still spot bonefish faster than anyone else, just through his peripheral vision.

That's pretty incredible

The Dad Fisherman
03-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Watched a show on it once and the guy was saying that a good size cat can twist and pitch a fit enough to break your hand or arm. Gotta yank'em out quick

Finlander
03-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Did you see the one where the guy reaches into a undercut hole along a river bank and grabbed a beaver not a catfish! The beaver won, he had bite marks on his hand, arm and stomach. Ouch!!!