View Full Version : It Feels Close

MarshCappa
03-18-2011, 10:14 AM
This weather has me thinking about getting out fishing soon. Soon the herring will be running through the fish ladders in the area and the stripers will be following. I guess it's time to clean the shed out and get my gear ready. Not much to do on my end, though I am in the market for a new/used surf setup so if anyone has anything to offer on that end PM me. This will be the first season in the last four seasons that I will not have my skiff. I'm torn with how I feel on that but I do have plenty of friends here with boats to hopefully take care of my boat urges. I'd like to say I'll be out there more than last year but who knows with kids, family, and work commitments. How is everybody else doing out there? Is all your gear ready? Any fishing resolutions this year for people? One of mine is to try and make it to an S-B fishing leg or event this year. There's some good folks out there and I've always had a blast fishing with S-B folks.

JoeBass
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm in Vermont so my striper stuff is still in cobwebs...but my trout and bass stuff is all ready. Except for waders...all of my felt bottom waders are illegal starting April 10...to protect against dydamo invasion (rock snot). Have some new ones on order. Tied a lot of flies this winter and built some largemouth bass poppers for the fly rod. I think this weekend I'm going to try for a Steelhead in the year round waters (we have a few rivers). I'm ready!!!!!!

fishbones
03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm really chomping at the bit to start fishing again. Looking forward to the show in Plymouth next week to get the juices flowing. I need to switch out hooks on a few plugs, but that's about a half hour of work tops. Most of my gear is ready to go, with the exception of putting some line on a couple of reels. Can't decide between Samurai Braid or the old standby Powerpro.

If anyone has used the Samurai, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm trying to determine if it's that much better than the Powerpro for $15 more per spool.

FishermanTim
03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
If I can't get out for one last ice trip this weekend, I may hit a local waterway for some spring stripers. Sure they're holdovers, but it's better than sitting and waiting another month for fresher fish to start showing up.

Sea Flat
03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I agree, this weather has made the thoughts of fishing starting to flow.

My hope is to finally boat a BFT this season.

JohnnyD
03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm really chomping at the bit to start fishing again. Looking forward to the show in Plymouth next week to get the juices flowing. I need to switch out hooks on a few plugs, but that's about a half hour of work tops. Most of my gear is ready to go, with the exception of putting some line on a couple of reels. Can't decide between Samurai Braid or the old standby Powerpro.

If anyone has used the Samurai, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm trying to determine if it's that much better than the Powerpro for $15 more per spool.
A couple people I fish with use the Samurai braid. Fell absolutely in love with it after just a few casts and a few fish. It seems thinner than PP, a lot more supple and easier to tie. When it's time to respool, I'm putting Samurai on everything.

As a caution that I found out the hard way... the name Samurai is pretty accurate for what the line will do to your finger if you try tossing 3+oz without something to protect your skin.

MAKAI
03-18-2011, 12:09 PM
A couple people I fish with use the Samurai braid. Fell absolutely in love with it after just a few casts and a few fish. It seems thinner than PP, a lot more supple and easier to tie. When it's time to respool, I'm putting Samurai on everything.

As a caution that I found out the hard way... the name Samurai is pretty accurate for what the line will do to your finger if you try tossing 3+oz without something to protect your skin.

Like a callous.:biglaugh:

Poncho
03-18-2011, 12:44 PM
I am pretty much ready. Got a few new reels that I can’t wait to try. Also still looking for a conventional setup for the canal this year, (any help is appreciated) Have plans to do some trout and bass fishing next week. My number 1 Fishing resolution is to use my kayak more in the ocean. I do plenty of fresh water fishing in the yak but only fished 3-4 times in the salt. My girl friend lives in Newburyport so there is no reason why I shouldn’t fish that area more from the yak, but I think the one reason why I don’t is because I have nobody to go with, so if anybody needs somebody to fish with or doesn’t mind me ridding coat tails send me a PM. Good luck to everybody I wish you all much success

JohnnySaxatilis
03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Can't decide between Samurai Braid or the old standby Powerpro.

I keep going down to the cellar and end up staring at my stuff. All of its been set for like a month:wall: minus puttin on some line, which i took care of yesterday....

Just spooled the emblem with the new suffix 832 braid. it casts pretty good i gotta say took the canal setup to the pond to test it out, but haven't tested it side by side with the pp. by the way $23.95 for a spool of 150yrds I paid... fml.

chefchris401
03-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Samurai braid is my favorite, ties better, cast better, and frays less than power pro.

chefchris401
03-18-2011, 02:06 PM
also try the cabelas ripcord si braid, thats my go to now, cheaper than most, like 6 cents a yard for 50lb test.

Whatever you buy, buy the biggest spool possible, youll save more in the long run.

My plugs are ready and rigged with new hooks, wetsuits are cleaned up, new surf tops, korkers, etc.

Just need to buy some new gloves and Im ready to go.

flyvice11787
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Went out a couple of nights ago. Nice to be fishing again. Had a good tide, but the bait I was looking for wasn't around. So no feesh. Try it again tonight :hee:.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

5/0
03-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Man this weather is just Awesome,I have been fortunate enough to be working on roof top units the past two days.Simply refreshing to have the warm sun on my shoulders.
Last night when I got home I heard my first spring Peeper Spring has sprung:jump1: