View Full Version : Darts?

basswipe
03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Not sure if this is the best place to discuss darts but it can be considered a sport.

Anyways now that basement is fully completed I finally hung my dart board that's been sitting in a box for 7yrs.All I can say is that I'm very rusty and at my best I was an ok player.

Anyone else here like to play?

BigFish
03-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Not so much anymore......ever since I suffered that dislocated hip (old dart throwing injury) and the carpel tunnel in my drinking wrist I just watch!:jump1: Playing goalie on the pub dart team was the highlight of my career!:buds:

Raven
03-26-2011, 04:59 PM
when you have max focus happening
seeing only the bulls eye and nothing
else on earth even exists

you throw and hit it dead center
that's when it feels so good

ecduzitgood
03-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I wish more people would give it a chance, there is actually some decent money to be won if you throw well.
I enjoy playing often.

BigFish
03-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I am just ribbing you BW! :rotf2: Its a fun game but I don't play much!

PRBuzz
03-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Piscator has a board hanging and seems to be able to hold his own, at least against ODM.

The Dad Fisherman
03-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I use to shoot all the time....was on a team for 11 years, use to go to the luck of the draws all the time, good way to hopefully make some drinking money for the night...Darts is one of the Holy Trinity of Drinking Sports....the other two being Pool and Horse Shoes....you actually improve after a couple

I'm pretty sure Bossman threw a dart or two in his time too....

I'm beyond rusty though....once in awhle I'll throw a few....but it usually isn't very pretty

iamskippy
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
i am a very good player, won a few tournaments as well.

basswipe
03-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Ended up playing for a good portion of the night.Depleted my beer stock.....feeling a little slow this morning.

tysdad115
03-27-2011, 07:02 AM
I used to play alot, haven't touched them in a few years though.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slingah
03-27-2011, 08:02 AM
I played for years on various teams in the way back. Fun game, takes practice and steady playing to shoot well.

luds
03-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Never been too into them but darts are a good time and a great way to shoot the breeze with you buds and toss back a couple.

american spirit
03-29-2011, 06:46 PM
when you have max focus happening
seeing only the bulls eye and nothing
else on earth even exists

you throw and hit it dead center
that's when it feels so good

you a daht coach guy. that's inspirational.

love darts. got a setup in my basement. prevents me from blowing my top on my kids. is this a thread to start a s-b dart league? i'd be interested.

BasicPatrick
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I played at a pretty high level for many years. Had some tournament success, many many league championships, etc. Was even ranked 116th in a national magazine for one month many many years ago.

I came out or "retirement" a few years ago and shot for a Cape Cod Team for one season and we did really well. Unfortunately league night is Wednesday and so is MSBA and MBBA...Game Over.

beamie
03-31-2011, 05:28 AM
Am I sensing an SB Dart League/ Bracket/ Throw down / get togther during the 2011/2012 winter between rob building, plug turning and rubber/lead pouring?:rotf2:

JohnR
03-31-2011, 07:16 AM
I would love a dart throwdown. I was pretty decent at one point back in the 90s. Never good enough to be ranked but I played and beat a few nationally ranked (including top ten) players. But I would only win 1 out of 5 of those matches on my best game. I was not a natural and had to work very hard at it but had some success. Just not good enough to play nationally / pro though some of the people I shot with did.

Bringing back some memories with this thread :tooth: .

Came in second place (C league and below?) in the state, Mass singles competition early 90s, second out of 180 something regional finalists. A couple Boston city champs in D, B, and A leagues. One state champ, one summer A league, etc... A particular bar in Boston has more than a few plaques from teams I was on or lead.

When I was in B division, throwing one of the top 10 matches I would ever throw (7 dart 301? or 11 dart 501 DIDO?) , I beat Larry Butler (phenomenal SuperA shooter - top 10 nationally at the time IIRC) in one game of the quarter finals of Boston Singles competition - I was only B player still in and not many A's left either - it was like Center Village against the rest - Patrick knows what I mean ;) ) and then I choked on the tie-breaker match - well he crushed me before I had much chance to choke. I opened with like a 60 or 80 and he opened with a 160. Guy was automatic.

I played one division BELOW Basic Patrick and we think we may have played each other once or twice at Luck of the Draws at the 'Bud.

I have not thrown darts in many years but still keep them in the truck. Just in case. I'm sure I suck compared to before with occasional flashes of brilliance ;) . For sure though, darts really improved my doing math in my head. :buds:

My lovely 26 gram Hammerheads.

Fun thread - made my morning :btu:

tysdad115
03-31-2011, 07:57 AM
I have a set of 26g hammerheads floating around somewhere in the basement too. I grew up in bar rooms watching people play. I had a board hung in the basement until I refinished it recently as darts and drinking went hand in hand. Used to have some serious competitions involving both!

JohnR
03-31-2011, 08:58 AM
I have a set of 26g hammerheads floating around somewhere in the basement too. I grew up in bar rooms watching people play. I had a board hung in the basement until I refinished it recently as darts and drinking went hand in hand. Used to have some serious competitions involving both!

Maybe that's why you look familiar - Matt's Villa? Luck-of-the-draw?

ecduzitgood
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Search 'sewa-darts' and you'll find a dart forum. There is a good luck of the draw in Abington at the Polish club on Friday nights 8pm, it is a smoking allowed club and there are usually about 30 shooters, they also have a one on Sunday 4pm.

fishbones
03-31-2011, 11:31 AM

Matt's Villa in Holbrook? If so, I think it's now a Walgreens. That was a pretty fun place. We used to drink down the street at Joe and Jim's sometimes, too. It was a little more divey and they let us drink there before we were 21. They also had/have a dart league if I remember correctly.

tysdad115
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
I always stayed at the local watering holes John. Whitman, Hanson and the surrounding area.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Hookedagain
04-01-2011, 07:11 AM
OK here goes my awesome Dart story. Last week the guts at the fire station got a dart board donated. They hung it up with a nice sheet of cork board as a backing. I walked in and they had about a dozen darts on the table. From across the room, being a total smart ass, I pick up a dart and throw it. From about 30'......you got it, A BULLSEYE!! I have never thrown a dart in my life. We played several games since and I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Theres something about beginers luck. If you guys do something involving darts next winter....you got yourselves a cheerleader!!!

basswipe
04-23-2011, 04:03 PM
The only place I've been able to find decent dart supplies other than the net is K-Mart of all places.#^&#^&#^&#^&s,Sports Authority,Wallyworld,Bennys and Target had next to nothing but lots of plastic crap.

I'm no pro but but K-Mart carries aluminum shafts and a wide variety of flights and other dart related stuff.I actually purchased a very nice set of 24g darts there.