View Full Version : beer in a can

jon2465
03-27-2011, 04:35 PM
any fans of canned beer.i hear great things about Surly but have never tried it nor can i get it on LI,maybe some others have a review that can shed some light on it

spence
03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't think you can get it up in RI.

I read somewhere that a few years ago the machinery to can beer at the micro level became available...and hence the explosion of canned micro brews.

From what I understand it's actually superior to bottling.

-spence

PRBuzz
03-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Guinness in cans only, not bottled.

jon2465
03-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Don't think you can get it up in RI.

I read somewhere that a few years ago the machinery to can beer at the micro level became available...and hence the explosion of canned micro brews.

From what I understand it's actually superior to bottling.

-spence

interesting, is canned wine onthe horizon....from what i understand oxygen is the enemy and a sealed can has got to be "cleaner" than a corked or screwtop wine bottle.also how does the beer(imperial stouts) age in a aluminum enviorment. just wondering the can seems to be the wave of the future

rphud
04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
I think you will find all the can are plastic lined, but hey, kegs are not. Cans of micros I have had were just fine. Seems like cans are better over the long term. I would prefer the drink it in the short term though.

The Dad Fisherman
04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Absolutely.....

I also think that canned beer gets colder than bottled....at least it seems that way to me.

spence
04-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Well, they're really two different beers. The cans are ok but so far short of a proper draught Guinness I actually prefer the Extra Stout at home.

-spence

flyvice11787
04-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Absolutely.....

I also think that canned beer gets colder than bottled....at least it seems that way to me.

While one may keep something colder than the other, due to insulating abilities of the material, if you chill both to 40F, both will be 40F.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Beer tastes better from a bottle ice cold......I hate canned beer! By ice cold....I mean I like my beer bottled and in a cooler full of ice! It gets colder than in a refrigerator!:buds:

rphud
04-02-2011, 06:29 AM
I would highly recommend pouring out of either into a glass. Give that beer some room and air to breath.

Backbeach Jake
04-02-2011, 07:04 AM
I would highly recommend pouring out of either into a glass. Give that beer some room and air to breath.

Aye, that.

MrHunters
04-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Beer tastes better from a bottle ice cold......I hate canned beer! By ice cold....I mean I like my beer bottled and in a cooler full of ice! It gets colder than in a refrigerator!:buds:

Perhaps more refreshing on a hot day but the temperature a beer should be consumed is first and foremost preference but really it depends on the type of beer. An average seems to be 45-50 F. But I read somewhere it should be served at the temperature of it's fermentation.

That said. I usually just pull one out of the fridge and don't have the patience to wait for it to warm. :rotf2:

JohnR
04-14-2011, 03:10 PM
beer in a can

What a novel idea :buds: !

Prefer bottles too but nothing beets a properly cleaned tap system with properly freshened beer :btu:

Pete F.
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I prefer cans, and why do you think they call them tasteBUDs anyways. to each there own.

Raven
04-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I prefer cans, and why do you think they call them tasteBUDs anyways. to each there own.

oh Palease, Budweiser is the rotgut of Beers

I love cold beer absolutely :btu:
but not so dammed cold you think your gonna die
from internal hypothermia

Reference: the coldest beer

Raven
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM

oh Palease, Budweiser is the rotgut of Beers

I love cold beer absolutely :btu:
but not so dammed cold you think your gonna die
from internal hypothermia

Reference: the coldest beer

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/scuppers/25110-coldest-beer.html

The Dad Fisherman
04-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Nothing wrong with a Bud, thats been sitting in a cooler full of ice, on a hot Summer Day.....little beads of moisture rolling down the side of the can. :drool:

Raven
04-15-2011, 05:49 AM
oh yes there is Kevin

just one thang....

tastes so good ya drink five MORE

Raven
04-15-2011, 05:53 AM
when i came down from the mountains.........
i'd walk into the bar and order two mugs of DARK brew

they'd arrive and i grab one and tip it back and GUZZLE it right down
with a hearty slam of the mug on the BAR and a big AHHHHHH

ya gotta wash down the trail dust ya know....

then i'd walk away with the second one..... :drool:

fishbones
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
I just read today that Magic Hat is now going to be producing #9 in a can.

Raven
04-26-2011, 06:07 PM
what's number 9 ? all about...

JohnnySaxatilis
04-26-2011, 07:39 PM
what's number 9 ? all about...

Magic hat #9 Apricot flavored ale. Probly magic hats best seller. I like it, others don't.

Raven
04-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Magic hat #9 Apricot flavored ale. Probly magic hats best seller. I like it, others don't.

ahhh i see , so it's similar to Wachuset blueberry then

a fruit flavored beer ,,,, i have yet to try that also :wall:

thanks i'll look for it

JohnnyD
04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Been in our current apartment for almost a year. Our fridge has never had a can of beer in it. Can't even remember the last I bought beer in a can.

Also, beer with fruit in it is right up there with drinking these:
http://i.imgur.com/pnqJU.jpg
:jester:

fishbones
04-26-2011, 10:53 PM
ahhh i see , so it's similar to Wachuset blueberry then

a fruit flavored beer ,,,, i have yet to try that also :wall:

thanks i'll look for it
Nothing like Wachusett Blueberry. The apricot flavoring is very subtle. They call it a "not quite pale ale". It pairs well with most foods and is a good dinner beer.

Been in our current apartment for almost a year. Our fridge has never had a can of beer in it. Can't even remember the last I bought beer in a can.

Also, beer with fruit in it is right up there with drinking these:
http://i.imgur.com/pnqJU.jpg
:jester:

God, I hope I never become either that much of a beer snob or that ignorant. My basement fridge has some Smirnoff Ice right next to the cans of Bud, Blue Moon and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I also have bottles of Sam Adams Light, Sam Noble Pils, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Goose Island Summer and Goose Island 312.

When I have guests to the house, I like to have a variety. I wouldn't expect everyone to like what I like. I also don't like to have broken bottles outside on the driveway or the pool area where kids play. Just because a beer is in a can doesn't mean it's not a good beer.

JohnnyD
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
When I have guests to the house, I like to have a variety. I wouldn't expect everyone to like what I like. I also don't like to have broken bottles outside on the driveway or the pool area where kids play. Just because a beer is in a can doesn't mean it's not a good beer.
I don't hang out with people that would drink that crap...

But in all seriousness, I haven't come across a canned beer that I enjoy. I'll get canned Heineken on occasion and don't mind the canned Amstel. But Bud, Miller, Coors and the like... :yak5:

The Dad Fisherman
04-27-2011, 10:03 AM
I'll Drink anything.....

Anybody for a Red,White, and Blue w/ a Nyquil Chaser

fishbones
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM

But in all seriousness, I haven't come across a canned beer that I enjoy. I'll get canned Heineken on occasion and don't mind the canned Amstel. But Bud, Miller, Coors and the like... :yak5:

You haven't found a canned beer you enjoy, other than Heineken or Amstel? If you think those are "good" beers, I take back my comment about you being a beer snob. I now realize you just have no sense of taste.

Last night I had a couple Double Bocks at a friends house followed by a Bud Light after helping him with some yard work. Although I don't drink a lot of Bud Light, it tasted pretty good with the 10 year old Cohiba once we finished working.

basswipe
04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
One of the best canned beer brewers here:
New England Brewing: Brews (http://newenglandbrewing.com/brews.html)

SeaHag IPA is top notch.Just watch out it'll creep up on ya if you're not careful.

spence
04-27-2011, 04:06 PM
One of the best canned beer brewers here:
New England Brewing: Brews (http://newenglandbrewing.com/brews.html)

SeaHag IPA is top notch.Just watch out it'll creep up on ya if you're not careful.

I think Dale's is better but the Sea Hag is pretty good :uhuh:

-spence

JohnnyD
04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
You haven't found a canned beer you enjoy, other than Heineken or Amstel? If you think those are "good" beers, I take back my comment about you being a beer snob. I now realize you just have no sense of taste.

Last night I had a couple Double Bocks at a friends house followed by a Bud Light after helping him with some yard work. Although I don't drink a lot of Bud Light, it tasted pretty good with the 10 year old Cohiba once we finished working.
You're like the people in the political forum, picking and choosing words then spinning them around.

I'll re-quote it for you and bold the main part you must have missed:
But in all seriousness, I haven't come across a canned beer that I enjoy. I'll get canned Heineken on occasion and don't mind the canned Amstel. But Bud, Miller, Coors and the like...
"Don't mind" and "enjoy"... completely different.

Also, drinking Bud Light while smoking a 10 year old Cohiba is like drinking an 18-year single malt out of a plastic cup while eating microwaved pizza.

fishbones
04-27-2011, 05:16 PM
I guess it is for someone who's really image conscious. To me, a cold Bud Light is nice when I'm covered in dirt and sweat. A real Cohiba is good anytime. I'm not concerned with my image, which anyone who knows me, including you, should know.

spence
04-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm not concerned with my image, which anyone who knows me, including you, should know.

Understatement of the year :buds:

-spence

JohnR
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Agree!

Now, cheap buds and miller lite still taste great, ice cold, in a can, on a hot summer beach, but that is more the exception than the rule. I will also have those when I want to forestall a buzz.

Interestingly, in 3 years living in Germany, the only time I found Becks (swill) can or otherwise, was in the base ClassVI.

Ahhh, long for local beer fest of the German variety. Sniff, sniff :crying:

Saltheart
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM
The two canned beers that first come to my mind as very good are Guinnes and NewCastle Brown. Also the new Gansett bock and porters are good. Some like beers just because they come in big "oil can" sizes like Fosters.

Jenn
05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Mike-just tried the Gansett Bock and liking it. Doesnt QUITE replace the porter for me but close enough (in a different summery kind of way)

Just got the Harpoon newsletter that said they will have the IPA and summer beer available for a limited time in cans.....this indeed makes me a happy camper!

Saltheart
05-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Agree!

Now, cheap buds and miller lite still taste great, ice cold, in a can, on a hot summer beach, but that is more the exception than the rule. I will also have those when I want to forestall a buzz.

Interestingly, in 3 years living in Germany, the only time I found Becks (swill) can or otherwise, was in the base ClassVI.

Ahhh, long for local beer fest of the German variety. Sniff, sniff :crying:

I will admit publicly that one of my favorites back in the 80's was half and half Schlitz and guiness , both from cans.

the only improvement to Guiness Stout in a century was when they started offering 16 oz cans in addition to the usual 12 oz bottles. :) An absolute truth throughout the universe is that a good beer is better in 16 oz containers vs 12 oz containers. :)

joe the plumber
05-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Nothing wrong with a Bud, thats been sitting in a cooler full of ice, on a hot Summer Day.....little beads of moisture rolling down the side of the can. :drool:

I agree.....in fact I prefer Bud and Rolling Rock, ice cold and out of cans.

A side note...Went to a beer tasting some time ago and Jim Koch of Sam Adams was the featured speaker.A person in the audience asked him what was his favorite beers besides his own.He responded by saying that there were many he enjoyed but when he was traveling and could not drink his own beers,Budweiser was his beer of choice because of its freshness.I thought his answer said alot about Bud....

flyvice11787
05-16-2011, 06:46 PM
More choices :drool:. Just announced today by Beer Advocate :

MAY 23, 2011, BROOKLYN, NY -- Brooklyn-based Sixpoint Brewery today announced the launch of its four core flavors -- Sweet Action, Bengali Tiger IPA, Righteous Ale and The Crisp -- in 16-ounce cans. The Memorial Day Weekend introduction follows several years of researching the best way to package, transport, ensure freshness, and maintain the flavor consumers have come to expect after six years of drinking Sixpoint beer exclusively on tap.

jon2465
05-18-2011, 05:01 PM
oskar blues ten-fidy.......wow :love:

blondterror
05-18-2011, 06:08 PM
just got back from a long weekend camping in the Adirondacks... we brought 3 Oskar Blues brews... Dales Pale Ale, Gordon, and Momas Lil Pils... all excellent.. plus we had Brooklyn Brewing Ale which is good stuff as well, and harpoon IPA also in cans.... 3-4 yrs ago we only had good Canadien beer (Molsen) in cans.

O.D. Mike
05-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by fishbones
I'm not concerned with my image, which anyone who knows me, including you, should know.

Understatement of the year :buds:

-spence

:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Clogston29
05-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Just picked up harpoon summer and Brooklyn summer in cans. They also had magic hat ipa and a couple micro brews is never heard of.

luds
05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Harpoon is definitely pushing the canned ipa hard right now.

Strike_King
05-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Sixpoint Brewery,out of Brooklyn,is starting to release some of their craft brews in cans in the Boston area. Their Bengali Tiger IPA is a solid brew Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint - Brooklyn, NY - BeerAdvocate (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/22189)

JohnnyD
05-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Harpoon is definitely pushing the canned ipa hard right now.
Now this has me interested. Anyone tried the Harpoon's canned IPA?

jon2465
05-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Sixpoint Brewery,out of Brooklyn,is starting to release some of their craft brews in cans in the Boston area. Their Bengali Tiger IPA is a solid brew Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint - Brooklyn, NY - BeerAdvocate (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/22189)

good beer had it for the first time today, 4pak 16oz cans $9.99, could be a summer staple

GlobalTJB
05-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Bottled tastes better for some reason. I think it keeps better on the long term. I brew my own and have drank some beers 3 years later that got lost and they tasted amazing with no metallic or plastic tastes mixed in.

fishbones
05-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Had some canned Harpoon Summer while watching the B's game tonight. Not bad at all. I'm not a big Harpoon drinker, but it's pretty good.

Strike_King
05-28-2011, 09:09 AM
good beer had it for the first time today, 4pak 16oz cans $9.99, could be a summer staple

Agree completely on both counts. Got some more of it and a couple of their others that I enjoy...

jon2465
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
nice how do u like the sweet action ive only had it on tap it was good but a little to sweet(they make a double and a triple:err:) and whats the crisp all about

Strike_King
05-30-2011, 07:46 AM
nice how do u like the sweet action ive only had it on tap it was good but a little to sweet(they make a double and a triple:err:) and whats the crisp all about

I agree on the sweet action,but it was a nice change after a couple of tigers. Would like to try the double and triple. The crisp is a pilsner. Very light,nice aroma with just a touch of malt to it. I would recommend it if you like that style or want something light..I could enjoy these three all summer.

The Dad Fisherman
08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Gave this a try this past weekend.....Not Bad, its not nearly as good as the Beerworks Watermelon Ale....but it wasn't bad.

Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer in a can | 21st Amendment Brewery (http://21st-amendment.com/beer/hell-or-high-watermelon)

MarshCappa
08-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Dales pale Ale by Oskar Blues in CO. Cisco brewery out of ACK cans their Whales Tale also.

Raven
08-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I went and bought a six pack of one of my most favorite beers
that being Belhaven scottish ale brewed since 1541

and it has changed .....not only was it in a smaller and clear bottle
it no longer has the "kick" it used to have
and i was very disappointed... after loving
an occasional six pack for 35 years
i am moving on...

how's that heineken dark in a can?

Saltheart
08-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Newcastle nut brown is a good beer that comes in cans.

I prefer beer in dark brown glass bottles.

spence
08-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Newcastle nut brown is a good beer that comes in cans.
I've bought Newcastle in cans twice this year and both times found it lacking body...

Right now drinking a Wittekerke...one of the best Wit's out there. Basswipe, they have it at Allens and I think you'd love it if you haven't already tried it.

-spence

Saltheart
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I've bought Newcastle in cans twice this year and both times found it lacking body...

Right now drinking a Wittekerke...one of the best Wit's out there. Basswipe, they have it at Allens and I think you'd love it if you haven't already tried it.

-spence

I know what you mean I have felt the same on some occasions. I wonder why sometimes is full bodied and others not. I am always suspicious they the outside portion of the poour spout is not totally clean. A trace of oil will totally flop the body of a beer.

O.D. Mike
08-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Beer snob.....

striperman36
08-03-2011, 08:20 PM

-spence

Good stuff

Raven
08-04-2011, 06:02 AM
yeah exactly.... what i was trying to say :btu:

it lacked body...McEwans was a little too syrup-y i thought
but it kicked butt and you'd be slurring your words in no time

but now, the Belhaven tasted like Newcastle to me...
goes down like coors... swill

didn't know the right term but , + thanks Spence
yes the "Body" it once had..... has vanished.... :hs: way sad

seems like every good beer is moving towards the "cheap" side

The Dad Fisherman
08-04-2011, 06:43 AM
My mother got me one of those Heineken Beer-Tenders for X-Mas....not a Heineken fan....but it also takes the mini kegs of Newcastle....which is really good on tap through this

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a9Ko7W3nL._SS400_.jpg

BigFish
08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Draft??? Hmmmm......no!:yak:

flyvice11787
08-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Draft??? Hmmmm......no!:yak:

It's the best way to have beer. You just need to go to a place that knows what they're doing and clean their lines often and sell a lot of beer, so the same tapped keg isn't sitting around for weeks. There's a definite trend towards canned beer though, as many micros are embracing this format.

Raven
08-05-2011, 04:43 AM
My mother got me one of those Heineken Beer-Tenders for X-Mas....not a Heineken fan....but it also takes the mini kegs of Newcastle....which is really good on tap through this

your Mom is Like ............ "cool" heh heh heh

Saltheart
08-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Nice! If you keep your eyes peeled there are many beers available in those kegs. Dinkel Acker comes to mind. Newcastle does sound delicious though!