View Full Version : Cover still on?

Mr. Sandman
03-28-2011, 07:41 AM
Or have you officially declared it spring and cover is off?

Mine is still on...I was going to take it off this past weekend but the wind was blowing 30 and it was 30 deg. Went inside the boat and it was nice and almost warm in there. I asked myself...Why take it off it is nice in here!

PRBuzz
03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Mine's still on but with 15 min notice off it comes, maybe Wed trail run?

BigBo
03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
It's time. Probably this week.

Mr. Sandman
03-28-2011, 09:02 AM
OT: Bigbo...that is a disturbing avatar you have there.

ProfessorM
03-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Mine has been on the ground after it blew off a few weeks ago, the tarp that is.The boat cover is still there but I shoot for getting the tin boat ready way before the covered one.

RIJIMMY
03-28-2011, 09:38 AM
took mine off this weekend. made some minor updates, and put the batteries in. froze my arse off.
need to bring it to MTC next weekend to get ready. I need a new throttle, mine broke in half last year on my last trip, my coat snagged on it and because it was so cold, the plastic was brittle and snapped.

BigBo
03-28-2011, 09:39 AM
OT: Bigbo...that is a disturbing avatar you have there.
:rotf2: My grandson picked that one.

Marc Z
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
This coming weekend I'll be taking mine off. I already did the spring clean up in the yard this past weekend so I can focus totally on getting the boat ready for the next couple of weeks before I drop her in. In addition to cleaning, waxing etc, I',m going to add satellite radio, install new speakers, flush mount the vhf into the console and maybe add colored LED lighting under the gunnels and change out the spreader for LED.

Do you guys re-use your shrink wrap. I'm thinking I may be able to get another year out of it if I take it off carefully.

Marc Z

Marc Z
03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Just saw the post below about reusing shrink wrap. Thanks

JohnnySaxatilis
03-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Its off but, I cheated. we're trout fishin now my friends and I around here until the striped ones head north.

I told my buddie I got a class at 230. he said, "well you're miss that then aren't you?". god damn it, Here we go. SPRING = GPA PLUMETING:smash:

Raider Ronnie
03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Whats a cover ?

:confused:

MakoMike
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
never put one on her.

saltyric
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Cover is still on but I cut a rat hole so i can get in and do some electrical work....

fish4striper
03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Never put one on! Volvo trim tabs installed, autopilot next!

Double Hall
03-28-2011, 02:57 PM
I need to change out the impeller this year, but closing on a house Friday, so my season could be shot. I'll take the cover off, get batteries in, and drop it off at mechanic in a week or so. Paint the bottom and maybe try to wax the outside so I can get in for May 1st. Topside needs a good buff and polish, but that will be done in the water if at all this year.

InTheHole
03-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Cover is still on, I can get in and do a lot of the pre-season stuff with the cover in place. If I take it down too early I'll have all kinds of tree pollen everywhere before I get it in the slip

nightfighter
03-28-2011, 03:36 PM
a rat hole so i can get in....

Yep, that's a good analogy.....:grins:

Second year on my custom from boatcoversdirect.com, so can get in anytime and close it up when done. Couple weeks....

FISHING_FOOL
03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
You guys cover your boats??? :biglaugh:

freebie
03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
cover is off. going to put in new battery cables and switch. rewire console and the in it goes. slip is available apr 15

PRBuzz
03-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Second year on my custom from boatcoversdirect.com, so can get in anytime and close it up when done.

These are nice covers that is what I use.

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

All of our Carver products are manufactured in the United States. We're proud to offer high quality boat covers and bimini tops made by skilled Americans.

thefishingfreak
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Covered untill the maple tree buds that's hanging over it. Those red buds make a mess.
I'll pull the shafts out and do new stuffing boxes and cutlass bearings first.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnySaxatilis
03-28-2011, 07:23 PM
cover was off today . It was nice out there we managed to find a spot out of the wind with some fish stacked up near by. Doctor reccomended striper fever medicine. Forgot the long johns...... doh. if it werent for the sun i woulda been a popsicle. took like 2 hours to get the feeling back in my toes

Stevie was trying to cast inbetween browns eating his fly.
The kid hauled one in on a rooster tail ;)

Fish On
03-29-2011, 04:59 AM
My cover is coming off for the first time in 3 years. We were on a couple of boats in Thailand over the last couple weeks and the wife did ok on dramamine so we're gonna give it a shot. Wish me luck!

Fuel has been kept stabilized so I'm hopeful the engine will start without too much trouble. I know I need new batteries. I also have a couple flats on the trailer. Other than the obvious things I'd be interested in anyone's short check list of what to do first to get her ready for the season. Brushing up on Chapman's is also on my list.

Tight lines!

Mr. Sandman
03-29-2011, 05:35 AM
I would drain and discard the fuel, (or try and run it thru your car and dilute it with good fuel, unless there is oil mixed in it.) replace the water pump (which will be shot after sitting in one place for 3 years), replace plugs and hoses that look soft and look over everything electrical. Lots of things will be stiff and need some lube as well. Trailers get ornery as well with non-use. Look over your saftey gear (your flares have expired)

If your wife has side effects from dramamine or it doesn't seem to work then you might look into the tiny ear patch (scopolamine?). I have seen these work unbelievably well but you need to get a prescription for it. (just ask your doc) I keep a few on the boat in my first aid kit if anyone has martian-like symptoms but you really need to put them on a few hours before you head out.

fish4striper
03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Like Jim said try scopolamine but ask for the pills. The patch lasts 3 days, the pills give you more flexibility as you use one a day.

Bronx68
03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
The cover is still on....looks like a late spring this year.

PRBuzz
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Comes off tonight..dunking Thursday!

zacs
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
cover still on. no sight of unveiling until probably at least after tax day...

Moses
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Bringing her home from winter storage (friends summer home) this weekend. Takes me a week to get her ready and will splash for the 2011 season weekend of 4/9-10.

Finlander
03-30-2011, 04:40 AM
The cover is still on, have though about removing it, but I'm hearing more snow is on the way so it's going to stay on for now. Hopefully this is just an April Fool's joke, think spring!

Piscator
03-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Thinking of taking it off next week.

Sea Flat
03-30-2011, 11:58 AM
For those of you that reuse your shrink wrap. I would like to know how much and where you cut it off when you are planning to reuse. I would assume at the bow and then just peel it back and off from there?

Fish On
03-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the tips Jim! I'm gonna wait til after the snow passes and then take a look.