View Full Version : Drying epoxy W/0 a dryer?

Rob Rockcrawler
04-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I have replaced guides a few times and dont have a dryer so i just turn it slowly by hand, and the results are anything but pretty, but they are functional. Would it work to hit it with a blow drier while turning it so i dont have to spend a couple hours spinning it? I was thinking very light coats with a blow drier? Am i setting myself up for disaster?

nightfighter
04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I am far from an authority, but I think the heat will thin the epoxy, making it more prone to sagging. Without a motorized spinner, I would suggest getting close and comfortable to the workspace with a 15 minute timer that will remind you to spin it by hand regularly and inspect it for 2-3 hours... I tried it once, with less than spectacular results, and promptly built a spinner for the rod lathe.

Settle in an watch the entire race at Martinsville while tending to the rod....That will be about the right amount of time.:grins:

Rob Rockcrawler
04-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Lol, the sox are just staring and im putting a corned beef briskit on, should be enough time. I gotta rig something up one of these days, or maybe just buy the friggin drier.

Saltheart
04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
The last thing you want to do is blow air at newly applied epoxy. It will just get dust in the finish.

no way around just siting there and turning it now and then unless you get something mechanical.. A grill rotissierie motor works well. You just tape the buttend to the grill motor and rest the other in some kind of V grrove.

Use flex coat , its one of the faster curing epoxies.

Epoxies do not dry , they cure.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I used the flex cote and did it during the sox game. It came out really good. I think the last time i did it i used way too much epoxy. Now i just need to work on the wraps themselves.