View Full Version : Propspeed...anyone ever use it?

Mr. Sandman
04-03-2011, 02:43 PM
on running gear?
Have heard good reports and seen it applied on yachts in the boatyards. Interesting product as there are no toxins that released.

tautog
04-04-2011, 07:07 AM
I tried it a few years ago and didn't think the benefits were worth the $$$. A friend of mine down south uses it but he feels that their growth problem is much worse due to water temp.
If you run daily it would be worth it but I didn't think it was worth it the way I use my boat. With work my boat sometimes sits for a week or more and I had growth on the running gear that didn't wash off when running.
Just my 2 cents worth.

beamie
04-04-2011, 07:44 AM
This is mainly an antifouling product thus letting you have less slip.

The more you use your boat, the cleaner your prop will stay, needing this product less.......

Do you swim Sandman? Keep any Scotchbrite on the boat?, just clean it off once in a while. Polish it up with some wet and dry before you launch get the ruffage off.

Ships get there props polished once maybe twice a year with divers, but never have we spec'd a product like this. It may be worth it on larger vessels, ships (depending on where you are and how active you are) and such when you dealing with slip in the single percentages.

Small vessels have high slip and I really don't think your going to see a noticable savings.

MakoMike
04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about and thought about doing it for a couple of years now. But it is expensive and a PITA to use it.

Mr. Sandman
04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
It is really popular on these new IPS and ZF pod drives too. I spoke to the company and if you have a new drive that has the factory baked on or powder coated finish, then you can skip the etching and just put the cleat coat.