View Full Version : 2011 Striper Cup Team S-B

JohnR
04-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Who's in?

In light of increased pressure - minimum team weight fish to consider should be 35#s to make it until the end of the year.

Multiplier is same as last year 1.18 per pound shore, 1:1 boat.

Bring Back The Cup!

johnny ducketts
04-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm in, I swear this is the year I actually weigh something worthwhile.

tysdad115
04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm in ! Tyler is in for the kids division, I hope he puts up a +35# to weigh in for the team.

Bronx68
04-04-2011, 09:10 AM
What are the details? Entry fee, weigh in, etc..

angler229
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm in, signed up at MSBA.

SurfCaster413
04-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm in John signed up in Febuary, can't wait to start talking smack!

Rappin Mikey
04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I'll probably enter for both shore and boat for team SB.

Clammer
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
IMO

I THINK WITH THE STRIPER STOCK IN DECLINE .[[.I DON,T GIVE A #^&#^&#^&#^& .WHO DOESN,T BELIEVE IT ]]
I FEEL THAT THAT OTW HAS ALOT OF BALLS EVEN HAVING THE TOURNAMENT .......... f UCK THE FISH / LETS SELL SUBSCRIPTIONS ::smash::smash:fury:

Fishoholic
04-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm in :smash:

Mike P
04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm out.

ThrowingTimber
04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
In.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Redsoxticket
04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm out

tattoobob
04-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm waffling about it right now

afterhours
04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
what clammer said.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Im having a tough time deciding. I think the right thing to do is pass and just fish as usual. But on the other hand i had a couple last year that would have helped the team, instead i helped the fishery.

timmah
04-04-2011, 04:39 PM
In.

Targeting BIG fish, I injure a LOT less smaller fish.

tinyboatbigfish
04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
i agree with clammer im out

JohnR
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
And I revisit every year whether to field the team and gave it a lot of thought this year. We need the stock assessments.

As far as the tourney goes, the damage is minimal compared to a lot of other tournaments and charters. Toss in the Cluster Bleep that happens in various places.

If we keep ourselves in check, we will have minimal impact. Next year, if regs and stock assessment change, we'll dial back or dial out. OTW must be vigilant in minimizing impact further next year.

MAKAI
04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Every little bit helps, I gotta let them go.

WESTPORTMAFIA
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
To the guys that are that worried about fish dying. Stop fishing with hooks! I'm in.

Redsoxticket
04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
This is the year to set an example.
The impact is small but other teams, tournaments will follow to create a larger impact which can change regulations to for the better.

S-B already won OTW SC shore division so what is there to prove.

5/0
04-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm in & my Son's in the Jr. Div:fishin:

Ahhh all I have to do is just register us both:smash:

snake slinger
04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
iam in

Sea Dangles
04-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm not fishing in the cup this year.
No need for stock assessments to tell me what I've been seeing is not good.
I'll still kill fish on occasion, just not all the bigs.
Minimal impact is still negative impact and I refuse to offer OTW as a scapegoat for my own bad judgement any longer.
Maybe a decrease in participation will send a clear message to the good folks at OTW that a breeder kill tournament does not bode well for the future of striped bass.
If you care about the future of striped bass it's time to make a difference.

k-e-v-i-n
04-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm with John... one day of charter guys equals total fish weighed in for this tourny... I keep to eat fish between 28-35in... i kept only one fish to weigh in last season... the one that counted...

unfortunatley the bait is having a difficult time finding us surf mokeys close to shore... hence why i personally think the shore fishing has been more difficult...

BrianS
04-05-2011, 06:40 AM
im in... so is my dad..

Mr. Sandman
04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Lost all interest after the second year. Like the pin though. :)

JFigliuolo
04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
never been in... Always thought killing bass for my own ego was kind of perverse.
I'm not against killing a few fish for the table. My preference is all...

Bronko
04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Out.

RIROCKHOUND
04-05-2011, 08:11 AM
good luck guys, it just isn't my bag.

JLH
04-05-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm in :uhuh:

Swimmer
04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
:fishin:Again, oh well, O.K. I guess so. I'm in.:fishin: :soon:

Sea Flat
04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I respect everyone that is not doing the tournament. To be honest I have done the tournament every year accept the first year. I have never weighed in a fish. A couple times I caught a couple that would have probably got me close to a weekly, but I knew that it would not hold up for the team, monthly etc. so I didn't weigh it in. The point I am making is that I think it is possible to be a member of this tournament and fish it responsibly. Obviously, if S-B is successful we will kill 10-20 fish in the 35-50 lb. range. This may seem like a big number, but if we are careful and keep good records i think we can keep the number as far down as possible.

I am in. Boat.

Additionally, I still wish that the leader board/weighing process for the Striper Cup could be done online by all of the weigh stations. That way everyone involved can have up to the minute knowledge of the standings. This would also save a lot more fish IMO. I know it would be hard for the tackle shops, but it is doable.

fishbones
04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Additionally, I still wish that the leader board/weighing process for the Striper Cup could be done online by all of the weigh stations. That way everyone involved can have up to the minute knowledge of the standings. This would also save a lot more fish IMO. I know it would be hard for the tackle shops, but it is doable.

That's a great idea. You should shoot a quick email off to Chris at OTW and suggest it. It's probably too late for this year, but maybe they could look into doing it in the future.

Also, I thought this was a thread about who's in? Seems that a lot of people are chiming in that they're out. :confused:

Mike P
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Also, I thought this was a thread about who's in? Seems that a lot of people are chiming in that they're out. :confused:

I've been a member of Team SB since the Cup started. I feel that my friends should know whether I'm doing it again.

So I told them.

If they want to know why, they can read what Chris posted. There's more to it for me personally, but his reasons are good enough for starters.

I'm fishing one "kill" tournament a year, and this year it's going to be the local SGCCCFC. There's no need for me to enter a fish unless I know it's going to be the new leader, and the Grand Prize is a $60 embroidered fleece top.

Back Beach
04-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I respect everyone that is not doing the tournament. To be honest I have done the tournament every year accept the first year. I have never weighed in a fish. A couple times I caught a couple that would have probably got me close to a weekly, but I knew that it would not hold up for the team, monthly etc. so I didn't weigh it in. The point I am making is that I think it is possible to be a member of this tournament and fish it responsibly. Obviously, if S-B is successful we will kill 10-20 fish in the 35-50 lb. range. This may seem like a big number, but if we are careful and keep good records i think we can keep the number as far down as possible.

I am in. Boat.

Good post Sea Flat.:uhuh: I've entered every year since inception and likely will again this year.

I have no guilt over killing a couple fish. I routinely put back 98% of what I catch simply because I don't need striped bass for any purpose other than recreation.

Last year I kept one 41# fish for the Striper Cup and it was the only striped bass I kept all year. I don't even carry a cooler in my truck any more. I released at least 20 fish over 30# last year and literally countless 20's.

I feel like I do my part for conservation and nobody should be on a guilt trip over the taking of a few fish, regardless of the purpose for the kill.

fishbones
04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I've been a member of Team SB since the Cup started. I feel that my friends should know whether I'm doing it again.

So I told them.

If they want to know why, they can read what Chris posted. There's more to it for me personally, but his reasons are good enough for starters.

I'm fishing one "kill" tournament a year, and this year it's going to be the local SGCCCFC. There's no need for me to enter a fish unless I know it's going to be the new leader, and the Grand Prize is a $60 embroidered fleece top.

I wasn't singling anyone out, Mike. I was just pointing out that this was a thread to see who was fishing the tournament this year. There's another thread started by chefchris401 about Striper Cup Discussions/Questions. That seems like a more appropriate thread for people to be giving their opinions on why they aren't fishing the tournament rather than this one.

RIJIMMY
04-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I hate to chime in or derail this thread, but I think some clarification is needed.
No one questions each individuals right to take fish or your individual conservation efforts. I am all for rec anglers keeping fish if they want to. But by joining the cup, you are supporting and participating in a coastal, kill tournament. Thousands of big bass are killed for the tournament. You may only keep one fish, but others will keep and kill many. They're all breeding fish.
Although you can argue that charter boats kill that many fish. Yes, they do. But don't forget this tournament is IN ADDITION to those kills.
I know and respect many of you joining the tournament and we all have to answer to ourselves. I dont hold it against anyone. As stated in another thread by others, I grew up in a fishing family, I remember the moratorium. It seems to many that we're rapidly heading in that direction. personally If the bass population was thriving, I may join the cup and join in the camaraderie. However given the current situation, this tournament only hurts a bad situation. there is nothing positive coming out of this for the future of bass. And as MANY of you said in the Maine circle hook thread - every little bit counts

ProfessorM
04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
to each his own. I've completely lost interest in this, doesn't do anything for me anymore.. Good luck and have fun

Back Beach
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
to each his own. I've completely lost interest in this, doesn't do anything for me anymore..

I feel the same way, but I like the tee shirts.

tysdad115
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Being new to fishing, I value everything I read here. I'm very excited to join the S-B team in the cup. I release 95% of fish I catch. I teach Tyler about conservation and whats right to do, but we eat fish and like to do so. He's stoked to go fishing, so arent I. I'm looking forward to fishing with other members of the team and those that aren't.

Mike P
04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
To each their own. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.

I'll buy this year's T-shirt at StriperFest. Every shop in the area hands out free admission tickets, and I can't afford to pay the taxes on the boat anyway, if I were to win it. I won't even have to stay till the bitter end for the drawing, to boot. :grins:

wrikerjr
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
There seems to be a good amount of conversation on whether or not the Striper Cup and On-The-Water are doing the appropriate thing for the striped bass fishery.

In my opinion, as recreational anglers we do not have the right to criticize anyone for keeping a legal fish and entering that fish into a tournament. If you feel the need to complain about that, your argument is not with the angler or the tournament organizer as they are organizing an event that is within the applicable regulations and their rights. Fishing tournaments were around when we were born and will be here when we die. The recreational angler should complain and apply pressure to the individuals responsible for the fishery management (or their bosses), which is another story for another day.

What I feel the recreational community has the right to complain about with the tournament organizer concerning conservation is:
- the absensce of technology in avoiding overkill, and
- the absence of catch and release participation.

Since this topic is about the Striper Cup, I will say that the Striper Cup does not use technology to avoide overkill. This is the 2011 fishing season, technology to avoid overkill is here and at worst it would be a daily update of up-to-date standings to avoid overkill because there are weekly, monthly, team and angler of the year prizes. Additionally, on the catch and release front their is zero participation in the Striper Cup. Allowing someone to win a pin when you are literally handing out prizes worth in excess of $50K is not participation. Those are the facts as I see them. I work for a marketing/advertising company and I know that you can spin anything the way you want it to be seen, but every now and then someone will state the simple facts and you can't argue the facts. These are the facts, and to me it doesn't appear that On the Water takes conservation seriously.

I am often asked what is the answer. Obviously, the answer is to do the right thing in your mind. In my opinion, we as recreational anglers support the vast majority of the fishing industry, we purchase the magazines, we pay the tournament entry fees, etc.. If you agree with the conservation practices of On The Water than you should support them by purchasing their magazine and entering the tournament. If you do not agree with the conservation policies of On The Water and the Striper Cup than you should boycott their magazine and their tournaments until they change their policies to align with your personal beliefs. I do not believe as the recreational angler we should rationalize a reason to support a magazine or tournament that doesn't align with your personal beliefs. Their is no reason to justify that a tournament will do less harm than a party boat or another tournament. This is rationalization and people rationalize thier actions when they feel they are improper or unethical.

This is just how I feel. We are discussing On The Water and the Stripercup. This could be talked about with many other tournaments as well, but I look at them all individually and determine from there what tournaments and sponsors I would like to support and participate in. Do not get me started on fisheries management because that is just a crazy topic that I could go on forever about.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Im still questioning whether or not i will participate this year. I would prefer that the striper cup be canceled due to the fishery being in trouble. That would make it an easier decision for sure. Im thinkin that if the participation is down they may cancel it next year, i know it has to be a money maker for them. Maybe they will cancel it because of the state of the fishery.
On the other hand i want to join for chance to help us bring the cup back. It also wouldn't be bad to win a Van Staal, sure beats buying one.

Diggin Jiggin
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I'll be joining up, just didn't get a chance at the msba show. I really enjoy the team aspect of the cup and having the top 10 team fish listed in our stripercup forum ensures no one is killing anything needlessly. I know I have not weighed in a single fish for the cup the past 2 years. Not from a lack of trying and I've had plenty of good fish, just not the fish we needed.

I'd really like to see OTW do something in terms of posting weekly/monthly leaders to date. It does not need to be anything fancy, heck they are on facebook maybe they could just update something there. If people knew what was leading for the month/week it could help people conserve a lot of fish too.

Sea Flat
04-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Thousands of big bass are killed for the tournament.

Thousands? Doubtful. Many, yes.

I see your point that every little bit helps, but the point of the other thread was that putting back small fish will be healthier for them if we use circle hooks.

Point being, I think most people that fish the tournament do not weigh a fish and most people that do weigh in a fish are weighing in a fish that they would take home anyway. In most cases anyway.

DaveS
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Too many fish killed if ya ask me, OTW should reconsider the tourney as a whole, or update their reporting methods.

You New England guys are'nt the problem, it's the greedy pigs here in NJ who catch and keep multiple 25-40 pound fish daily during the big bunker run off our coast every June. It's a massacre to say the least.

wrikerjr
04-06-2011, 05:49 AM
You New England guys are'nt the problem, it's the greedy pigs here in NJ who catch and keep multiple 25-40 pound fish daily during the big bunker run off our coast every June. It's a massacre to say the least.

I agree that in NJ we do more than our share of killing the resource during the bunker blitzes of recent years and allowing someone to walk off with 3 fish all being 30 plus pounds is not good for anyone. I also know many people who fish in certain spots in RI, MA, etc. that have sent me pictures of massacres as well, so we all need to evaluate how we conserve the fisheries from Carolina to Maine. Just my opinion, but many states (including NJ) are doing damage.

Mr. Sandman
04-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Sea Flat,

It probably is thousands killed. I don't know the number that entered but Over 4000 attend the tent party alone. If you assume most of them fished, then add all the no shows from across the East coast you could have upwards of 5000 or far more. Further, if they fished for 5 months ...the release mortality rates alone indicate that they killed thousands without even weighing in a fish.
Most have said that this tournament drives them out to fish it so I would say that most have fished it. Then you have a large commercial contingency that basically culls their 30 daily fish commercial catch to weed out a good one to weigh in the cup. You have 4000 commercial SB fishermen in MA alone a good number of them enter this as well. Most of these guys kill a 30-50 fish a day easy apiece. (I don't know if you have seen they way they fish ...they are pretty rough with the discards and many use yo yo set ups) That said, they would be killed anyway if the tourney stoped, it is just a added bonus to enter for them.
So yes it is easily thousands of killed fish in the name of the striper cup just for this tourney.

JLH
04-06-2011, 06:37 AM
In an email from OTW posted in the other site awhile ago they said that 625 fish were weighed in in 2010 for the tournament. Between commercials and people who would have kept the fish anyway. Im sure well over half of those fish werent going back so I think the actual number killed just for the tournament is probably around 300 or less...
Sea Flat,

It probably is thousands killed. I don't know the number that entered but Over 4000 attend the tent party alone. If you assume most of them fished, then add all the no shows from across the East coast you could have upwards of 5000 or far more. Further, if they fished for 5 months ...the release mortality rates alone indicate that they killed thousands without even weighing in a fish.
Most have said that this tournament drives them out to fish it so I would say that most have fished it. Then you have a large commercial contingency that basically culls their 30 daily fish commercial catch to weed out a good one to weigh in the cup. You have 4000 commercial SB fishermen in MA alone a good number of them enter this as well. Most of these guys kill a 30-50 fish a day easy apiece. (I don't know if you have seen they way they fish ...they are pretty rough with the discards and many use yo yo set ups) That said, they would be killed anyway if the tourney stoped, it is just a added bonus to enter for them.
So yes it is easily thousands of killed fish in the name of the striper cup just for this tourney.

Mr. Sandman
04-06-2011, 07:45 AM
625 was what were weighed in...you had thousands of fishermen fishing "because of the contest" for 5 months. The catch and release mortality (driven by the event) exceeds what was weighed in.

Most fishermen admit," if I was not in the event, I would not fish as often or as hard", that is why many of them they join. Most trips do not produce a weigh able fish but most likely they produce dead fish either taken home or die due to injury. If you break off a yo-yo'ed or gut hooked fish and it dies, it is an unweighted dead fish.

Numbers aside, for me they are walking a fine line claiming they are conservation minded tourney...yet allow commercially harvested fish that are headed to market for money to be entered. This is not conservation. Also, the on-line aspect is so poorly run you can not see what size fish it takes to make the board. This should be almost real time, certainly no more than 24hours after it is caught.

All that said...the impact of ANY TOURNY is small IMO. Even if they killed "Thousands" of fish in the name of the striper cup, that is small compared to the coast-wide killing from commercial and recs. Better steps could be taken to reduce the overall kill.

Other questions I have: Is this a non-profit event? Exactly how many people fish it? Where does the $ go? Are the prizes bought or donated? Do they give back to the community or fishery? I looked on the website for the info, all this is a secret.

bart
04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Im out. I never weigh anything big enough anyways...

Sea Flat
04-06-2011, 08:31 AM
625 was what were weighed in...you had thousands of fishermen fishing "because of the contest" for 5 months. The catch and release mortality (driven by the event) exceeds what was weighed in.

Most fishermen admit," if I was not in the event, I would not fish as often or as hard", that is why many of them they join. Most trips do not produce a weigh able fish but most likely they produce dead fish either taken home or die due to injury. If you break off a yo-yo'ed or gut hooked fish and it dies, it is an unweighted dead fish.

Numbers aside, for me they are walking a fine line claiming they are conservation minded tourney...yet allow commercially harvested fish that are headed to market for money to be entered. This is not conservation. Also, the on-line aspect is so poorly run you can not see what size fish it takes to make the board. This should be almost real time, certainly no more than 24hours after it is caught.

All that said...the impact of ANY TOURNY is small IMO. Even if they killed "Thousands" of fish in the name of the striper cup, that is small compared to the coast-wide killing from commercial and recs. Better steps could be taken to reduce the overall kill.

Other questions I have: Is this a non-profit event? Exactly how many people fish it? Where does the $ go? Are the prizes bought or donated? Do they give back to the community or fishery? I looked on the website for the info, all this is a secret.

I am sure that the OTW people make a nice amount of money for the tournament and that is fine with me. I like the guys there and they work really hard to make the tournament fun.

To your other point, I still do not buy the mortality rate that you and NOAA think is the case on released fish. I really think that we would see fish floating all over the place if it were the case.

Maybe we should start a new thread, I think we are straying quite a bit from what this thread was meant for.:)

fishbones
04-06-2011, 08:55 AM
It probably is thousands killed. I don't know the number that entered but Over 4000 attend the tent party alone.

Are you sure it's 4,000? That number may be right, but it seems high to me. Keep in mind that not everyone at the party fished the tournament. Each participant gets 2 tix and some bring a spouse, child or friend. Most of the local tackle shops also give out free tix. To get an accurate count, you'd need to know how many golden tickets were entered for the boat raffle.

Swimmer
04-06-2011, 08:58 AM

Pretty much all the money goes to Mike!

Swimmer
04-06-2011, 09:06 AM
To your other point, I still do not buy the mortality rate that you and NOAA think is the case on released fish. I really think that we would see fish floating all over the place if it were the case.

Maybe we should start a new thread, I think we are straying quite a bit from what this thread was meant for.:)

I disagree as well about the mortality issue of C & R'd fish. Unless they are cut open they will float shortly after death because of the gases that form inside thier bodies make them rise to the surface. Never ever see any floaters.

I'm not feeling guilty about signing up. Ever fish I took last year year, which with the exception of three times fishing, was every time I fished I took two fish home for the first year of my life fishing. My father-in-law, mother-in-law, my mother, and my wife and I enjoy stripedbass cooked every way imaginable, and it was all delicious. Oh a few of my friends as well enjoyed fish I caught. I really liked the fish stew my wife cooked up in January after she made broth from three bass heads that had been at the bottom of the freezer.

GattaFish
04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I am in for Team S-B.

As far as the fishing stocks don't worry everyone.. I wont catch anything worth weighing anyway...

Although,,, I have a new fishing style this year,,,:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

Mr. Sandman
04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Are you sure it's 4,000? That number may be right, but it seems high to me. Keep in mind that not everyone at the party fished the tournament. Each participant gets 2 tix and some bring a spouse, child or friend. Most of the local tackle shops also give out free tix. To get an accurate count, you'd need to know how many golden tickets were entered for the boat raffle.

per their web site: On The Water - Striper Cup (http://www.onthewater.com/StripercuphomePage2_2x.html)

Honestly, I know these posts sound bitter (it is really more emotion than bitterness) but don't have a problem with most fishing tourneys , I fish a few different things myself from time to time, most are fun and you meet some cool people along the way. The coast-wide/duration/commercialism factor and the true intent with this one is a little hard to swallow under the eyes of "stewardship of the resource", in a time when things are not going that great for the fish, that's all.

Like all of you I love fishing. I am done discussing this topic.
See you On The Water :)

fishbones
04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
per their web site: On The Water - Striper Cup (http://www.onthewater.com/StripercuphomePage2_2x.html)

Honestly, I know these posts sound bitter (it is really more emotion than bitterness) but don't have a problem with most fishing tourneys , I fish a few different things myself from time to time, most are fun and you meet some cool people along the way. The coast-wide/duration/commercialism factor and the true intent with this one is a little hard to swallow under the eyes of "stewardship of the resource", in a time when things are not going that great for the fish, that's all.

Like all of you I love fishing. I am done discussing this topic.
See you On The Water :)

The webpage said that nearly 4,000 people enjoyed the party. Per my earlier post, I'm guessing that there were a lot of people there for the party and didn't fish the tourney.

I also think that the anti's try to make things seem worse than they actually are, just as the pro's try to make it seem like everything is fine. The reality is that the fishery is in trouble, but I don't think this tournament is doing nearly as much harm as some would have you belive. I think there's much more damage done by people who are careless releasing fish (especially small ones) and by people who poach.

Circlehook
04-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I am in. I haven't weighed anything in the 3 years I've signed up. I figure I am out there fishing all summer anyway, and I like the team aspect. I keep 2 fish a year on average for the table, everything else gets released, so if one of the fish I decide to keep gets me a prize, or helps the team then even better.

Clogston29
04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
i'm undecided. but I'd recommend changing the minimum weight to 38 or even 40 for surf caught fish. that's what it'll take to win, and second place is worth nothing.

BassDawg
04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
IMO

I THINK WITH THE STRIPER STOCK IN DECLINE .[[.I DON,T GIVE A #^&#^&#^&#^& .WHO DOESN,T BELIEVE IT ]]
I FEEL THAT THAT OTW HAS ALOT OF BALLS EVEN HAVING THE TOURNAMENT .......... f UCK THE FISH / LETS SELL SUBSCRIPTIONS ::smash::smash:fury:

i think that you have your balls lodged in your eye sockets!!

the Striper Cup impact on the migratory stock is far less significant than the by-catch kill by the fleets of draggers and the refusal by the ASMFC to adress the ACMenhaden issue, IMHO!!

fix the forage, 1 @ 36"~~ release more than YOU kill!

but iffin i get blessed with a COW big enough to win myself a VS250,
then there is no weigh in HELL i'm throwing her back! besides,,,,,,,,,,it's not US, it's the weather~ MIKE~ haven't you been keepin' up on yer Winter readings??
:wavey: :hihi: :hihi: :wavey:

BassDawg
04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
and i]m INNNN~~

for sb.com, surf only,,,,,,,,

gonna be a GREAT year for us,
WE ARE DUE, MEN, FISH HARD!!!

RIJIMMY
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
i think that you have your balls lodged in your eye sockets!!

and there we have it! :smash:

bart
04-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Jess, Mike has been through the moratorium and has also caught a ton of fish as well. He is not biased. He calls it like he sees it. When he talks about the stocks I listen...

RIJIMMY
04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Jess, Mike has been through the moratorium and has also caught a ton of fish as well. He is not biased. He calls it like he sees it. When he talks about the stocks I listen...

and spends more time on the water in a month than most do in a year

fid
04-06-2011, 03:17 PM
in, if still open.

Mike P
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
In an email from OTW posted in the other site awhile ago they said that 625 fish were weighed in in 2010 for the tournament. Between commercials and people who would have kept the fish anyway. Im sure well over half of those fish werent going back so I think the actual number killed just for the tournament is probably around 300 or less...

How many guys kill a fish, take it to a weigh station for an accurate weight, and decide not to enter it because it won't affect the team/weekly/monthly standings? How many guys stash a good fish in a cooler for a few days, hoping they'll catch something bigger, and then get the bigger one, as you can only enter one a week? I'd love to see the stats on how many fish are weighed in on a Friday or Saturday, as opposed to a Sunday or Monday.

i'm undecided. but I'd recommend changing the minimum weight to 38 or even 40 for surf caught fish. that's what it'll take to win, and second place is worth nothing.

What's winning worth, in the grand scheme of things. A chance to drink cheap beer from the Cup? At least when we won it, the beer was Harpoon. Two years ago, the winning team got to drink warm Gansett. At least the 10 monthly winners get a shot at 10 grand.

Clammer
04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Sorry I opened a debate .

I,ve been there /done that &

I could argue to the end of time / but everyone is entitled to their opinion /& with that they justify their reasoning .I could do the same & go on & on .

But until you witnessed it / to most it sounds like crying wolf .

For everyones pleasures & enjoyments , income & whatever . I h0pe Im wrong /, Im getting real tired fishing nites in the winter ,because its better that nites in the season >>>>> don,t jump on it .... that is better for me .:fishin:

SurfCaster413
04-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Starting to get a little bit :topic:

In or out is starting to turn into rants and raves

afterhours
04-07-2011, 06:46 AM
the writing's on the wall for all to see. also been there seen that as have a few others.

piemma
04-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Sorry I opened a debate .

I,ve been there /done that &

I could argue to the end of time / but everyone is entitled to their opinion /& with that they justify their reasoning .I could do the same & go on & on .

But until you witnessed it / to most it sounds like crying wolf .

For everyones pleasures & enjoyments , income & whatever . I h0pe Im wrong /, Im getting real tired fishing nites in the winter ,because its better that nites in the season >>>>> don,t jump on it .... that is better for me .:fishin:

Mike, you are entitled to your opinion. You know I lived thru the moritorium with you. You know when I was in the surf with Bryan and before I fish 100 night a year all in the surf. Cape, Narr, Napatree and everything in between.
Bass Dawg you are also entitled to your opinion and so is Mike and myself. I believe you are wrong. The fact of the matter is the stocks are down for whatever reason. The assigning of blame does nothing to solve the problem. Oregon Inlet in the Winter. Comms in Virginia all year. Comms in MD, RI, MA during the commercial season. Recs all the time. 2, 28" (which is absurd to begin with). They are all contributing factors to the demise of the Striper. Until the beauracrats smarten up and declare the species a game fish and restrict the take to either a slot or 1, 36" we will see the further destruction of the Stripers.
You guys can believe anything you want but the facts are there in plain view. The species is again in trouble. Who caused this re-occurance doesn't matter. Someone has to fix this quickly or we will all be pissing in the wind trying to catch bass.
You young guys don't remember this but in 87 or 88, if we caught a couple of schoolies, Tom Mead in the ProJo would write a whole article. I remember catching 6 schoolies, (and I'm talking 16") at Deep Hole one morning. There use to be a bait shop in Narragansett at Monahans called Top of the Dock. I went in and told Joe about the fish and he called me a bold face lier and told me to get the *^&@* out of his shop because I was spreading BS.
You guys don't believe this but Mike and I and guys like Slip and AH and Makai will remember the total despair of fishing for DAYS & DAYS with out a bass.
Personally, I am in the OTW Cup and will participate. I killed 2 fish for the table last year. This year I will fish for the Catch and Relaese trophy and will not kill Stripers.

Necker1
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm In.

SeaMule
04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm In. I going to focus on contributing at least one cow to the board.

JohnR
04-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Crawler - still open ;) - just add Team Striped-Bass.com when registering.

This is good to talk about this stuff. For those that want to abstain because of conservation, I'm perfectly understand. If things go south, this may be the last year to fish the tourney for S-B. Depends on the stock assessment.

Clogston29
04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
What's winning worth, in the grand scheme of things. A chance to drink cheap beer from the Cup? At least when we won it, the beer was Harpoon. Two years ago, the winning team got to drink warm Gansett. At least the 10 monthly winners get a shot at 10 grand.

nothing really, maybe bragging rights. but the same could be said for the gibbs tournament you already stated that you were fishing. not trying to start anything and i respect your point of view, just pointing out that the similarity. everyone has the right to decide how much of an impact they want to have. i'll probably end up registering and fishing catch and release (i like the pins, i think i'll be glad I have them someday), and if I get something that I think may go 50, I'll weigh it in because I'd be doing that anyway.

just figure if the site is going to enter a team, might as well make the goal winning and to make as little impact as possible. a few 35 lb fish that keep the team near the top of the board early on are just a waste as they either get bumped later in the tournament or become irrelevent because one of the pro teams kicks our ass anyway.

MikeToole
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm in.

Not entering the cup won't do much to change things. If you really want change in Mass look at these two bills presently in the Mass house and senate. S00392 and H01145.

The bills look to both reduce the recreation limit and stop commercial fishing for stripers.

NH is looking at their striper regs this week and been asking for them to reduce to one fish.

Mike P
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
nothing really, maybe bragging rights. but the same could be said for the gibbs tournament you already stated that you were fishing. not trying to start anything and i respect your point of view, just pointing out that the similarity. everyone has the right to decide how much of an impact they want to have. i'll probably end up registering and fishing catch and release (i like the pins, i think i'll be glad I have them someday), and if I get something that I think may go 50, I'll weigh it in because I'd be doing that anyway.

just figure if the site is going to enter a team, might as well make the goal winning and to make as little impact as possible. a few 35 lb fish that keep the team near the top of the board early on are just a waste as they either get bumped later in the tournament or become irrelevent because one of the pro teams kicks our ass anyway.

There's a few major differences. One, the Gibbs tournament runs for a month, and only 185 people are in it. It's limited to the Canal. It's not spread from Maine to Cape May. It probably has less effect on the health of the stocks than the Vineyard Derby. And in any given year, no more than 10 fish get weighed into it.

More importantly, I can walk into Canal B&T any time that it's open, and find out what the leading fish is. It's one fish, one grand prize. That grand prize is a fleece top that's embroidered, and a small plaque on the trophy, which you don't get to have even for the year that you've won it. If there's a 42 pound fish leading, there's no need to weigh in anything that's clearly lighter. Second, third and fourth place get you a mention at the awards breakfast, and maybe a free sweatshirt, which most people don't bother trying to win. The lesser fish are usually those that get bumped down from the lead over the course of a month. At minimum, each team in the Striper Cup kills 10 fish. Most teams kill many more. In all the years that I've fished the Gibbs--since 2007--I've entered exactly one fish in it. Of the 185 people in it, probably 120 haven't ever entered a fish.

The only real similarity is that you need to kill fish to win it. But, in my tournament, you only have to kill one, and there's no real incentive to kill a smaller fish just to enter it towards an aggregate weight total.

Yeah, we do have a team thing in the spring, but it runs for all of 36 hours, and only a few guys seriously fish it. And team captains aren't calling other members all winter trying to "recruit" them for the sole purpose of winning a $25 gift card from #^&#^&#^&#^&'s. The raiding of other teams, and cherry-picking your team for the target goal of winning the Cup, has soured me on it as much as the mortality factor.

LINESIDES
04-09-2011, 06:53 AM
This is about having fun.
If one is worried about this practice, let all of your fish go this year. This will make up for the weigh ins and make you feel better.
If that doesn’t work, make a sign up and go down to the show and picket outside this will make you feel better.
John could create a new forum and keep everyone separated pros & cons... Then no one would know what the other ones are saying about each other.
However a thread just to weigh in your thoughts about this subject.
Group therapy sessions. This could solve every thing.
OTW/ or SB could raise the minimum weigh of fish to 45 pound and higher! This would eliminate 99% of all weigh ins!
I can’t believe this is an issue!! Get it out of your system before the fish show up.
I want you to think of nothing else when you are reeling in your next fish other than this thread!
NOTHING ELSE!!!
Life is short!

Hobie Wan
04-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm in.
I was supposed to do it last year. If I had, my one fish would have put you in 2nd place.

I'll try to replicate. :smash: I suck.

Raven
04-15-2011, 06:15 AM
use the force