View Full Version : Trying to figure out

Rappin Mikey
04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
If you will need a saltwater license to fish for stripers and shad in the MA section of the CT River. I just got off the phone with The Dept of Fish and Wildlife. They couldn't give me an answer, but took my info with a promise to call me back. That would be some important info since the shad thing is so popular out my way. Holyke Gas and Electric throws that huge shad tourny each year. I think it's the biggest in the Northeast??

Ed B
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
I would think this should be a freshwater license and I know you need a FW license to fish shad out there. Most states give a definate boundry for freshwater streams and rivers that flow into salt water as to where the rules and regs apply for FW and SW. Connecticut river in western Mass seems pretty clear cut, but in lower Connecticut there will be a FW/SW boundry. I would just check the limit and season for the individual fish I was persuing.

rphud
04-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't think the river is tidal/saltwater above Hartford or Enfield there abouts. Might find more info at CT DEP site or give em a call. web site is

Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (http://www.ct.gov/dep/site/default.asp)

Rappin Mikey
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I called Ct Fish and wildlife and they told me a freshwater license is needed north of I95 bridge. She wasn't sure about MA. When I called MA, the woman stated that they were now responsible for enforcing regulations regarding anadromous fish. She said she thought it didn't matter where they were caught. I haven't gotten a call back yet.

fishbones
04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
If you're going to be fishing salt and freshwater at some point this year, you might as well just get both licenses and be covered either way.

Rappin Mikey
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I already have both. I'm just trying to figure it out for my buddies that mainly just fish fresh but target stripers here in May/June.

FishermanTim
04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
If and when you get asked for said license, pull out your drivers license.
When he/she asks for your fishing license, bring out the SALT license.
When they finally ask for your FRESHWATER license, show them and tell them that if they had been specific from the start it would have saved you and them the hassle. Then explain that you are STILL waiting to hear back from ANYBODY regarding your question.

OK, so this may not be the proper way of handling this, but you have to admit, it would be fun to gauge their reaction!

I'd bring both (since you will probably be needing both) and keep any "official" interefence to a minimum!

Rappin Mikey
04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Just got off the phone with DEP. They told me a saltwater license is not needed in fresh water.

rphud
04-04-2011, 04:08 PM
CT does indeed require a freshwater license above the 95 bridge because that means they get more $$$$, and for that reason only. If they were really on top of their game they would require the saltwater thing up to the the end of the tidal river as well so they could get even more $$$$. Since the saltwater thing is all federal driven I would be curious to see how they look at it. I am pretty sure most states, and maybe the feds, consider things salt until the end of the tidal influence (Hudson River, Delaware River and the like, marked by bridges or dams way up river), but that may end) or may have ended) when they figure out they can get more $$$ too.

Peter Lajoie
04-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey Mike its on, 51 fish between the two of us last night. Biggest one was about 20 pounds.:jump1:

Jenn
04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Mikey...I think you are good. Heck how many times have you seen folks taking trash bags full of shad .....that probably didnt even have a license? oops maybe they only allow that in the Westfield.....

SurfCaster413
04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Mikey...I think you are good. Heck how many times have you seen folks taking trash bags full of shad .....that probably didnt even have a license? oops maybe they only allow that in the Westfield.....

Oh no thats happening in chicopee and holyoke now too lol

HESH2
04-05-2011, 08:25 AM
license required in ct for freshwater fishing in all rivers past a certain set line.ct river being the 95 bridge.below 95 bridge you need your marine license from your state that has an agreement with ct.because of all states being broke game wardens will be out looking to enforce rules.spot i fish in ct winter time your ct freshwater license expires dec 31st,jan 1 you better have your new 1.

Swimmer
04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
If you will need a saltwater license to fish for stripers and shad in the MA section of the CT River. I just got off the phone with The Dept of Fish and Wildlife. They couldn't give me an answer, but took my info with a promise to call me back. That would be some important info since the shad thing is so popular out my way. Holyke Gas and Electric throws that huge shad tourny each year. I think it's the biggest in the Northeast??

This could be big.

Raven
04-13-2011, 02:42 PM
went and got my saltwater license having got my boat registration yesterday....
just got back from a skunked trout expedition....

anyways, i ask at the westboro fish and Game about
handicapped people not needing a saltwater license and SO the lady calls up the MARINE hot line.... and the girl on the other end barked something at her and then hung up on her. She was NONE to happy....
Anyways , you have to be BLIND to not have to buy one and in that case someone else has to hold the rod.... WTF man ? isn't that the whole point for a blind person to feel what they cannot see?
it is the most insane rule i have ever heard of....:wall:

Raven
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
. Holyke Gas and Electric throws that huge shad tourny each year. I think it's the biggest in the Northeast??

i've fished in that tourney twice with darts in a friends boat trying to win the boat they give away each year...

shad haul ass down current at first....

Mike P
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
went and got my saltwater license having got my boat registration yesterday....
just got back from a skunked trout expedition....

anyways, i ask at the westboro fish and Game about
handicapped people not needing a saltwater license and SO the lady calls up the MARINE hot line.... and the girl on the other end barked something at her and then hung up on her. She was NONE to happy....
Anyways , you have to be BLIND to not have to buy one and in that case someone else has to hold the rod.... WTF man ? isn't that the whole point for a blind person to feel what they cannot see?
it is the most insane rule i have ever heard of....:wall:

In Massachusetts, you need a license unless you're under 16, or fishing from a licensed charter/party boat.

However, if you're 60 or older, the license is free.

Remember, the rationale for the license is nose-counting for NOAA. They can't count noses if states exempt too many people from obtaining one.