View Full Version : It's Coming

cow tamer
04-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Two weeks ago, a cormarant.
Last weekend, a grey heron.
Today, an osprey carrying a fish.

FishermanTim
04-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Dang, you fixed it before I could zing ya (cameron?)
I knew what you meant, but I was going to ask if it was Kirk or James (cameron)?:biglaugh:

The cormorants are only slightly less of a nuisance than the canadian geese. The don't deserve the hatred that they get from me (because of their stocked trout eating ability) due to the fact that their move to inland waters was created by man's overfishing of the groundfish and baitfish they relied on for food (back in the 80's) so they just found another food source that just happened to be supplied each and every year: stocked trout.
Sure, they do eat other fish species, but they show up just in time for the stocked fish. Funny how animals can plan their migrations and arrivals based on calendar events?

MAKAI
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Nothing like the eye watering stench when you're downwind from a rockpile infested with those sky rats.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I stuck my rod but in a hole filled with cormorant poo once. Didnt notice it till i took a few casts and rubbed my nose. WOW. That is some fragrant stuff.

Thumper
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I stuck my rod but in a hole filled with cormorant poo once. Didnt notice it till i took a few casts and rubbed my nose. WOW. That is some fragrant stuff.

:yak5: :rotf2:

piemma
04-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Interesting. I saw my first Great Blue Heron of the year yesterday. Funny how the animals know when Spring is here regardless of the calendar, weatherman , etc.

Also am re-reading "Reading the Water" by Bob Post. Has to be the tenth time but I haven't revisited in about 5 years. Re-read a great article by Crazy Alberto published in 04 about slack water, New Moon and shallow water cows.
it's amazing how vacation gives you time to do stff. Of course now I'm up at 3 AM to work in the garage on the boat.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Paul, that funny you are re-reading Reading the Water. I just picked it up again last night.

piemma
04-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Paul, that funny you are re-reading Reading the Water. I just picked it up again last night.

Rob has to be my all time favorite fishing book.

cow tamer
04-08-2011, 07:44 PM
forsynthia and andromeda in bloom

swallows showed up today

Raven
04-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Forsythia is late blooming this year
by a couple of weeks looks like

spence
04-21-2015, 12:31 PM
I was wondering about that. We had all ours removed this winter :nailem:

PaulS
04-21-2015, 12:38 PM
I noticed the forsythia this weekend. I actually noted it in my log this year.

Raven
04-21-2015, 01:25 PM
middleboro area and the cape IN general
is two weeks ahead of my area ...
spring peepers arrival (their chorus)
proves that out and now forsythia too

Clammer
04-21-2015, 01:36 PM
If you made your living on the water or even the decline in some fisheries than I think you might be a little more pissed off with the cormarnts & seals . the cape has & is dealing with the efffect of 2000 seals . while in RI they are cute to the majority of people .I know of two boats the legally take passangers to see the seals & NONE to see the birds .........................BUT come the cold weather & the bait fish have left . the seals & comarants continue to eat are winter ..............ain,t many winter founder in the bay or eels either anymore ...yet I catch tiny winter flounder in the mummie traps in season .................................. yet if you see then dive in the winter there is a VERY good chance they come to the surface >>head straight up ,,,,,,,,,swallowing either small W/F or seals .......PS they don,t have to bring up to the surface lobsters & crabs ... also the seals do dig & consume shellfish all season ><><>:eyes::eyes::eyes:

Raven
04-21-2015, 01:39 PM
with Maine's waters increasing in temperature
it's only a matter of time before they get INVADED

piemma
04-21-2015, 03:13 PM

Agreed. Very late Mine are just now starting usually around April 10th.

cow tamer
04-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Mine bloomed this week, so yes, by my old thread, it's late by a couple of weeks.

FishermanTim
04-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Could be another late start to the growing season this year.
Crocuses bloomed last week, daffodils and tulips haven't bloomed yet.

I have seen most of the traditional spring arrivals like robins, hawks, ground hogs, muskrats and turtles.

Took my kayak out of storage last week and plan on hitting a couple of coves on the Charles this weekend, weather permitting of course!

Raven
04-23-2015, 08:03 AM
WOW. That is some fragrant stuff.

was camping in a very remote area of northern Maine
no pit house or porta potties there type :point: wilderness

hanging backwards slightly off a tree limb to take a no. 2 dump
into a hole .... in the middle of the night...

and i hear something behind me and take a quick LOOK via flashlight
At this most curious Raccoon right behind my Butt...

and he was saying the VERY same thing :rotflmao:

Clammer
04-23-2015, 10:07 AM
rAV your a sick person ><<>:bshake:

Slipknot
04-23-2015, 11:15 AM
was camping in a very remote area of northern Maine
no pit house or porta potties there type :point: wilderness

hanging backwards slightly off a tree limb to take a no. 2 dump
into a hole .... in the middle of the night...

and i hear something behind me and take a quick LOOK via flashlight
At this most curious Raccoon right behind my Butt...

and he was saying the VERY same thing :rotflmao:

LMAO :bshake::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Rappin Mikey
04-24-2015, 01:37 PM
I have been saying it for years. Let's kill the seals! (a little bit, in a controlled legal way that is). The strange thing about the weather is that it is was the warmest on record globally Accept the Northeast

Raven
04-24-2015, 02:12 PM
i think they should be winched in to a long barge with grappling hooks
piled high and then dumped out to sea real deep....
feed the ocean with them

striprman
04-25-2015, 02:47 PM
There was a Heron in the riffle with the hogsuckers, a few days ago.
15-20 suckers in there a week ago, only 2 today. A green head duck also swam by while I was at the bridge over the river, an hour ago.

Finaddict
04-25-2015, 04:34 PM
I have been saying it for years. Let's kill the seals! (a little bit, in a controlled legal way that is). The strange thing about the weather is that it is was the warmest on record globally Accept the Northeast

Agree wholeheartedly ... KTS - kill the seals ...

l.i.fish.in.vt
04-25-2015, 06:30 PM
another mid winter day skiing here in Vt.every time it looks like spring it snows a day later.with no fishermen left on the cape the seals are really having to work for their food.

MikeD
04-27-2015, 10:30 AM
I went to check out the Herring at the Weymouth Run on Saturday, I climbed up the stone wall to the top of the ladder to check out the exit and see if any herring were coming through. Up there to greet me were about 100 cormorants. It seems like they would wipe out the entire spawning area because you know they arent going anywhere when there is a food supply. I see them diving for baby flounder under the summer st. bridge in boston all season long too. Makes me want to buy a good pellet rifle.

The cormorants are only slightly less of a nuisance than the canadian geese. The don't deserve the hatred that they get from me (because of their stocked trout eating ability) due to the fact that their move to inland waters was created by man's overfishing of the groundfish and baitfish they relied on for food (back in the 80's) so they just found another food source that just happened to be supplied each and every year: stocked trout.
Sure, they do eat other fish species, but they show up just in time for the stocked fish. Funny how animals can plan their migrations and arrivals based on calendar events?[/QUOTE]

Nebe
04-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Black birds of death are piled up here in south county herring runs as well....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

american spirit
04-27-2015, 03:57 PM
If we're talking about the season coming; we're not even close up here on the north shore. I usually go by water temps and it's still only 43 degrees. 48-50 seems to be the magic number for me.

Raven
04-28-2015, 05:04 AM
some populations need reductions or they over multiply.