View Full Version : Eel Jugs

tlapinski
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I have been getting a bunch of inquiries lately on how I make my eel jugs for wetsuiting. I finally got around to scanning the article I wrote for the Fisherman.

tlapinski
04-07-2011, 04:48 PM
A few more pics.

PaulS
04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I want one - nice!

I hate it when I'm swimming out to a rock and finding I hooked my eel bag.

O.D. Mike
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for sharing, looks like a cool project.....

chefchris401
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I have the jugs listed for FREE in the classified section.

Thanks for the post Toby.

JohnR you should make this a sticky!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Thumper
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Nice jugs Toby :rotf2:

Ryan560
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks again Toby

GattaFish
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Nice jugs Toby :rotf2:

I saw him last night and did not even know he was sportin' them big jugs,,,,

ivanputski
04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
The jug is the way to go... no more dead eels in the mesh bag. The quest for a wider-mouth jug (that is not brittle) continues, although I am getting close. Also, I started out with the shoulder strap, and wasnt crazy about it. When it comes to plug bags or eel buckets, I simply do not like shoulder straps at all anymore... I hate re-adjusting all the time. I set mine up to clip to my belt via caribeaner clip, and wear it on the left side of my belt just as you would a mesh eel bag, and am very happy with this set up. I prefer some drainage on the bottom, and will tend to throw a handful of bubble weed in there as well to keep the eels wet (not sure if its necessary)

redlite
04-09-2011, 11:10 AM
The jug is the way to go... no more dead eels in the mesh bag. The quest for a wider-mouth jug (that is not brittle) continues, although I am getting close. Also, I started out with the shoulder strap, and wasnt crazy about it. When it comes to plug bags or eel buckets, I simply do not like shoulder straps at all anymore... I hate re-adjusting all the time. I set mine up to clip to my belt via caribeaner clip, and wear it on the left side of my belt just as you would a mesh eel bag, and am very happy with this set up. I prefer some drainage on the bottom, and will tend to throw a handful of bubble weed in there as well to keep the eels wet (not sure if its necessary, but one of the eels said thank you and winked at me once, so I continue to do it.)

The only way to go for an eel jug.
Go to BJ's, large Hellman's mayo jar. $10. Take out mayo, smother all over self, wash jar, rig up.
I prefer to take and put 2 wraps of electrical tape over the threads on my jar as it gives it a better seal. Keeps lid from poppin off when swimmin or draining.
I have found that when swimming, I prefer my jar on a strap over shoulder as it floats behind me out of the way, as opposed to acting as a float on my back if attached to belt. Easier to dunk and drain eels on a strap as well.
Make sure drain holes allow are situated on bottom of jar so that ALL water drains out. Any water left in jar, even a little bit, during the summer warms up and your eels boil........

ivanputski
04-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I have been using the helman's mayo jar. The best thing about it is its flexibility and resistance to cracking like some plastics. I just wish the opening was a bit wider.

chefchris401
04-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I'll check the restaurant place and see what I can find

late-start
04-09-2011, 01:43 PM
thanks T

tlapinski
04-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Like Redlite said, Mayo jugs do seem to be the best. Dressing jugs work well, but are not as durable as mayo ones. No idea why they use different material, but go mayo if you find them. My new Commando Surfcasting "Cube" is pretty sweet too... :drool:

eskimo
04-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Like Redlite said, Mayo jugs do seem to be the best. Dressing jugs work well, but are not as durable as mayo ones. No idea why they use different material, but go mayo if you find them. My new Commando Surfcasting "Cube" is pretty sweet too... :drool:

did you have that built to hold the jug or does it normally have tall tubes? ...if so, why?

Clogston29
04-09-2011, 05:45 PM

zimmy
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
EEL JUGS

ivanputski
04-09-2011, 09:18 PM
The cube is nice... dual purpose.

tlapinski
04-10-2011, 07:33 AM
did you have that built to hold the jug or does it normally have tall tubes? ...if so, why?

It was built to either hold either the eel jug or a set of four 3" x 8" tubes. Great dual purpose bag.

eskimo
04-10-2011, 07:09 PM
It was built to either hold either the eel jug or a set of four 3" x 8" tubes. Great dual purpose bag.

not bad. Favorite part of a jug is its weightless.
guess you could stick a few ice cubes in each of the corners...

JohnR
04-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Cool thread. Copied to the Tips & Tricks section!