View Full Version : How is this the GOP's fault?

Jim in CT
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
The govt shutdown, I mean.

We're talking about the 2011 fiscal year budget. That budget would normally be approved in the previous year's congressional session. That would be 2010. That would be when the Dems conreolled the house, had a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate, and controlled the White House.

In fact, 2010 was the 1st year since 1974 when Congress failed to approve a budget for that fiscal year. So what that means is, the Dems LITERALLY could have done anything they wanted, but they punted, BIG TIME. They chose to do nothing.

Why did they do that? Because they were afraid that if they came out with a proposed budget that all sorts of liberal goodies in it, they would have gotten beat even worse in November 2010.

This is not the GOP's fault, it simply is not.

JohnR
04-08-2011, 12:02 PM
It's both parties fault. You can argue the percentages certainly but both parties are being sticks in the mud on this to appeal to their base.

The Dad Fisherman
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
It's both parties fault. You can argue the percentages certainly but both parties are being sticks in the mud on this to appeal to their base.

Thank You.....

RIROCKHOUND
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM
My advise if I had their ear.
Dems: sounds like 7Bil more in cuts will get there. do it.
Reps: Take the riders off the table. Don't mix idealogy w/ the budget at this point in the game.

both sides need to look at long term fixes at Medicare/Defense spending....

FishermanTim
04-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit regarding the government possible shutdown: All federal employees that are forced to take a furlow, for as long as it takes, will be back-paid when it is over.

How many of us REAL workers would be paid for not working during a layoff period?
Government employees that are furlowed cannot do any other work or risk possible prison time. (This one sounds like a stretch, but when you have a government like we do, hell, ANYTHING is conceivable)

When this "crisis" is over, they will automatically get their jobs back, yet how many hundreds of thousands of "real" workers had to start from square one when they lost their jobs due to the stellar ecomony we keep hearing about?

What it boils down to is that we currently have a govenment run by a circus of idiots that can't even decide which way is UP!!!

The Dad Fisherman
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit regarding the government possible shutdown: All federal employees that are forced to take a furlow, for as long as it takes, will be back-paid when it is over.

Incorrect....that is what happened last time they had a shutdown in 95 (I Think).

This is not the case yet for this one. It depends on how this all turns out as to whether they get back pay for this....and from what they are saying that may not happen this time.

Chesapeake Bill
04-08-2011, 01:13 PM
FT...some truth...some wrong info...

Backpay...not guaranteed. In this era probably not going to happen.
Performing official duties for nothing..illegal because of the anti-volunteer provisions
Obtaining other employment...authorized if within ethical guidelines
They get their job back becasue they are not fired...they are furloughed...the same thing that hapens in many industries.

Jim in CT
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
And cutting 70 billion on a budget of 3+ trillion is also a joke.

But I still would love for the Democrats to explain why they didn't pass a budget in 2010. There was literally nothing to stop them.

The next budget battle, for Fiscal Year 2012, will be tough. There's aonly a few months left in fiscal year 2011, so this one doesn't even mean that much at this point. They're only talkingabout funding the last few months of FY 2011, and they can't come to terms.

The Dad Fisherman
04-08-2011, 01:19 PM
FT...some truth...some wrong info...

Backpay...not guaranteed. In this era probably not going to happen.
Performing official duties for nothing..illegal because of the anti-volunteer provisions
Obtaining other employment...authorized if within ethical guidelines
They get their job back becasue they are not fired...they are furloughed...the same thing that hapens in many industries.

Again....Thank You

RIROCKHOUND
04-08-2011, 01:33 PM
And cutting 70 billion on a budget of 3+ trillion is also a joke.

Which further points to the right holding fast because of idealogical riders. The difference seems to be the additional 7Bil. In the grand scheme, BFD. start on the next budget.

buckman
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Obama will veto the proposed budget. His fault for not leading when he should have.

Chesapeake Bill
04-08-2011, 03:37 PM
TDF,

Not a problem. There is all kinds of mis-information out there. I issued my notices today so I am well versed. Done this before so its old hat except they gave lots of info before zero hour the last time. Not as much this time around. We'll see what monday brings as they really can't get a bill through that quickly.

Jim, $70B should be an easy solution. However, they all want their pork. and no one wants to cut anything. With the government being the largest single new job employer it would throw the economy into a tailspin if the public found out the truth...the recovery is based on a broken mess. Hence the current tailspin for a lack of money. Roy said it best, "No one's safe when Congress is in session."

This is a great show from the gallery. Wait till the debt seiling vote. Better yet, wait until October...I've already told folks to start saving pennies...This will look like a simple exercise compared to October in my opinion. No one will have the appetite for a CR then IMHO.

buckman
04-08-2011, 04:38 PM
GOP budget
http://paulryan.house.gov/UploadedFiles/PathToProsperityFY2012.pdf

Chesapeake Bill
04-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Buckman...that's the 12 budget. The goofs on the Hill are still focusing on the 11 one that never got finished becasue of McConnell and Reid.

Ryan's proposal is a hard pill to swallow but needed. Might not have all the cuts in the right place but it's a start...

scottw
04-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Buckman...on the 11 one that never got finished becasue of McConnell and Reid.

huh:confused:...never got started.....

April 15, 2010 – The Democrat-run Congress misses the deadline under the Congressional Budget Act to complete action on a FY11 budget. Both the House and the Senate, each under Democratic majorities, fail to even offer a budget proposal.

June 22, 2010 – Democrats officially punt and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) admits the House won’t propose a 2011 budget, leaving the tough choices for another day. For the first time in modern history, the House of Representatives will fail to even consider a budget for the following fiscal year.

September 30, 2010 –The Democrat-run Congress approves the first of several short-term measures to keep the government running – this one through December 3. In the coming months Democrats would fail to pass a long-term funding measure, eventually punting spending decisions until March 4, 2011 – during the next Congress.

maybe the republicans could pull an Obama and claim that the democrats left the 2011 budget in a ditch and now the repubs have to pull it out of the ditch and the dems and president are welcome to help but they need to sit in the back of the bus...oooohhhh, that would go over well with the dem race pimps:rotf2:

repubs should run a commercial showing Obama pleading for and demanding a civil tone with the date clearly visible, then show dated clips from the various characters from his side...democrat leaders/unions and their dispicable rhetoric post-decree....it's embarassing that we have an American political party in the democrats that has descended to such vile depths ....but it is very educational

scottw
04-09-2011, 06:08 AM
TDF,

Not a problem. There is all kinds of mis-information out there.This is a great show from the gallery. Wait till the debt seiling vote. Better yet, wait until October...I've already told folks to start saving pennies...This will look like a simple exercise compared to October in my opinion. No one will have the appetite for a CR then IMHO.

CB.....I'm sure that you are a great guy, probably lot's of fun to fish with...and maybe it's me....or maybe it's just different in the "inner circle of power" where the enlightened are not subject to "all kinds of mis-information" and the "ones" perfectly understand what is really going on with these complex issues and whose opinions are far more informed and weighty

...but out here...in the outer circle, among the rubes who "don't get it"......

ceiling is spelled with a c...not an s....I don't think I've seen anyone, ever in my life spell ceiling with an s....but like I said...maybe it's different in the inner circle among the highly knowledgeable

striperman36
04-09-2011, 11:33 AM
so wtf DID they cut? Pell grants? NPR? Arts Funding? Planned Parenthood?

JohnnyD
04-09-2011, 02:19 PM
But I still would love for the Democrats to explain why they didn't pass a budget in 2010. There was literally nothing to stop them.

Ah, so this thread wasn't actually started to discuss who's at fault. The shutdown was a cover so you could complain about Dems again.

buckman
04-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Ah, so this thread wasn't actually started to discuss who's at fault. The shutdown was a cover so you could complain about Dems again.

I'm with ya JD!!! What's to complain about. They did a great job for the 2 years they were in power.:rotf2:

striperman36
04-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Wait till the debt limit battle and then the budget.

More middleclass whackage, and upperclass/corporate pandering.

GE in the Fortune 5 paid no US corporate income tax in 2010.

Thank you Congress.

Archer Daniels Midland gets fallow land subsidies,

Thank you Senators.

We get? we need a bend over emoticon

Jim in CT
04-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Johnny D, the Dems had a full year where they literally could have done anything they wanted, the GOP didn't have the votes to do anything. The Dems chose to do nothing, and the voters clearly indicated that the spending had to be curtailed, so the GOP is responding to that. Th thread was not a cover. I asked what I htink is a legit question...if the Dems chose to do nothing for a year, then how is this the GOP's fault?

I'll say this...if teh reason that the Dems did nothing is because they didn't want the electorate to know what their priorities are, then maybe the Dems need to re-think their priorities? I mean, if you're afraid of putting your agenda out there before a national election, then maybe your agenda is flawed? Just sayin'...

I hit UCONN last week. Cheseburger grinder from Teds, washed down with a chocolate shake from teh Dairy Bar. You cannot beat that.

Ted's bar (the bar called Ted's) is gone, no longer exists. Not from a lack of patronage from me whan I was there.

Chesapeake Bill
04-11-2011, 06:03 AM
CB.....I'm sure that you are a great guy, probably lot's of fun to fish with...and maybe it's me....or maybe it's just different in the "inner circle of power" where the enlightened are not subject to "all kinds of mis-information" and the "ones" perfectly understand what is really going on with these complex issues and whose opinions are far more informed and weighty

...but out here...in the outer circle, among the rubes who "don't get it"......

ceiling is spelled with a c...not an s....I don't think I've seen anyone, ever in my life spell ceiling with an s....but like I said...maybe it's different in the inner circle among the highly knowledgeable

Well Scott, I feel the same about your fishing skills. However, some of us don't particularly care about having their spellchecking software turned on. I type fast and make mistakes spelling. I know how ceiling is spelled. They teach us that in the inner circle. I was simply spelling it for those in the hinterlands who rely on phonics...

The last time I checked Mitch McConnell was the Repub Minority leader in the Senate the entire time a budget failed to pass. Where was his budget proposal? My point is that it's everyone's fault on teh Hill. Not one group.

If you want to quote something more believable some conservative rag (or liberal rag for that matter) you might try THOMAS (Library of Congress) (http://www.thomas.gov) next time.

JohnR
04-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Ohhh, too long for the Clinton days of a balanced budget. Whoodathunkit.

I type fast and make mistakes spelling. I know how ceiling is spelled. They teach us that in the inner circle. I was simply spelling it for those in the hinterlands who rely on phonics...

:rotf2:

Chesapeake Bill
04-12-2011, 05:42 AM
JR,

Good one! I was out in 95/96! After living here for the past 20 years I've grown to have a real distaste for all politicians. 4 more days till our season opens and I can do some C&R for the big ones. No more need for time on the political threads for entertainment...

scottw
04-12-2011, 06:00 AM
The last time I checked Mitch McConnell was the Repub Minority leader in the Senate the entire time a budget failed to pass. Where was his budget proposal? My point is that it's everyone's fault on teh Hill. Not one group.

if a democrat controlled house and a democrat controlled senate and a democrat president refuse to offer or pass a budget...there is absolutely nothing that Mitch McConnell or any republican could have done to pass a freaking budget!!!!!!!!!!

go fishing...please...you are making a fool of yourself :uhuh:

and that is the point of the thread..............

Chesapeake Bill
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Mitch McConnell or anyone else (republican,democrat or otherwise) can suggest a bill by gainig recognition of the presiding officer in the morning hour. I suggest you learn about how the Senate operates. I did say offer a bill...not pass one. I never suggested he could get one passed. He could, however, have offered a proposal. He never did.

You are way too busy defending the undefendable...

scottw
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Mitch McConnell or anyone else (republican,democrat or otherwise) can suggest a bill by gainig recognition of the presiding officer in the morning hour. I suggest you learn about how the Senate operates. I did say offer a bill...not pass one. I never suggested he could get one passed. He could, however, have offered a proposal. He never did.

You are way too busy defending the undefendable...

you are insane:uhuh:

I hope the inner circle has padded walls

Chesapeake Bill
04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
So, I'm insane and making a fool of myself? I'm not yelling in highlighted text or changing colors to you advising you that you are uneducated in the ways of Washington like I could (and probably should since your posts are absolute rubbish serving only to attack without support). If that makes me insane I guess I'd rather be an insane fool than an uninformed argumentative individual who can't stay on point.

I find your defense of the present elected officials comical given that more than 7,000 bills are offered each congressional session. They put a lot of ridiculous bills in each session. How about each one putting in their thoughts on curbing spending? Instead, they remain silent so they can blame the other side...

scottw
04-13-2011, 06:41 AM
So, I'm insane and making a fool of myself? and doing a very find job I must admit

I'm not yelling in highlighted text to you advising you that you are uneducated in the ways of Washington like I could. heh, heh...if it resembles your other rhetoric this should be a delusional treat and a grammatical nightmare

If that makes me insane I guess I'd rather be an insane fool than an uninformed argumentative individual who can't stay on point. please expound:uhuh:

I find your defense of the present elected officials commical given that more than 7,000 bills are offered each congressional session. wtf does this have to do with the democrats punting their obligation to offer and pass a budget while having controlling majorities in both houses and the presidency? They put a lot of ridiculous bills in each session. How about each one putting in their thoughts on curbing spending? Instead, they remain silent so they can blaim the other side...talk about not staying on point

"blaim"? :smash: but I'm uneducated and uninformed...yet...."commical"...good grief :rotf2::rotf2:

RIJIMMY
04-13-2011, 08:58 AM
How about each one putting in their thoughts on curbing spending? Instead, they remain silent so they can blaim the other side...

there are a lot of bills/ideas out there on curbing spending.
Ryans, Obama's commission.

We just need to make the tough decisions.

I actually like the presidents commission recommendation. Simplify the tax code - remove the major deductions and lower the overall tax code.

That will stop some of the games, make buying a home a serious commitment (no govt funding of interest) and remove the "penalty" for paying off your home. That wont help home sales but it will allow for a correction of true value.
there are some good ideas from both sides, lets get moving.

RIROCKHOUND
04-13-2011, 09:01 AM
there are a lot of bills/ideas out there on curbing spending.
Ryans, Obama's commission.

We just need to make the tough decisions.

Ryan has some good ideas, but for god sakes, lets get rid of the Bush Tax cuts as well!

RIJIMMY
04-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Ryan has some good ideas, but for god sakes, lets get rid of the Bush Tax cuts as well!

Bryan,

theres a lot more to this. Everyone keeps harping on the "tax rate" and the Bush cuts but they are not factoring in the AMT. The AMT significantly limits the deductions, raising the total tax paid. this is not captured in the rate. So the amount of taxes mid and upper middle class families pay is much higher than the tax rate would have you believe. Eliminating the the Bush tax cuts is a bigger burden than people think because they're not factoring this in.
Thats why I am a fan of of ending the deductions, simplifying the code.

Chesapeake Bill
04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Here's an example where three senators proposed something despite the fact that all sides oppose it. Even though it may not go anywhere at least they put something on the table (where was Mitch?) for discussion. Now if only they woudl make the hard choices and start moving.

Senate GOP Trio Intros Social Security Reform - FoxNews.com (http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/04/13/senate-gop-trio-intros-social-security-reform)

scottw
04-14-2011, 06:28 AM
using your logic....shouldn't you simply congratulate all of congress and the president for this proposal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill

if you are going to assign "blaim" to all for the inaction of some (who just happen to be in complete control)...shouldn't you likewise give credit to all for the action of some ? "Even though it may not go anywhere":confused: