View Full Version : SS Siwash Hook

chefchris401
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Anyone know what siwash hook super strike is using on their special plugs?

I heard it was the 9510 stainless steel, but the mustad site says its only a 3x, misprint maybe.

the hooks are super heavy duty.

Thanks guys,

Chef

late-start
04-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Send them an email, I'm sure they'll respond.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tattoobob
04-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Super strike on face book, you can ask Steve right there and he usually responds pretty quickly

ivanputski
04-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Is it just me, or do SS needles have two different profile shapes? I have some needles that have a football-like shape (top curve mirrors the bottom curve) while others have almost a straight/flat back, and the belly is curved. Anyone notice this? Is it done for a reason? I have noticed it over the years, so it is not just one. I have also noticed that one tends to out fish the other, but I wont say which is the top producer for me just yet.

luds
04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Is it just me, or do SS needles have two different profile shapes? I have some needles that have a football-like shape (top curve mirrors the bottom curve) while others have almost a straight/flat back, and the belly is curved. Anyone notice this? Is it done for a reason? I have noticed it over the years, so it is not just one. I have also noticed that one tends to out fish the other, but I wont say which is the top producer for me just yet.

I think it's just how they come out of the mold. Some are different than others. I think I remember bassmaster and flaptail talking about heating up the nose of the plug and bending it up. You could probably manipulate the shape yourself if you want to but I bet it's fine either way.

Chef Chris. Remember the old 7/O or 8/0 strainless vmc hooks that were out a few years ago? Those were some of the strongest looking siwash hooks I've ever seen. I had more than a few large Hab's needles come back in missing the tail hook. Just saying that looks are definitely not eveything. I'd recommend testing the strength of the eye before buying in completely on those.

tattoobob
04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
The eye of a SS Siwash hook is very brittle and have no give to them and snap very easy

RIROCKHOUND
04-09-2011, 03:59 PM
go w/ Mustad tinned......

GattaFish
04-09-2011, 04:35 PM
The eye of a SS Siwash hook is very brittle and have no give to them and snap very easy

X2.... with emphasis on very,,,

jbuck
04-10-2011, 07:09 AM
It is a 9510xxxs mustad

Mike P
04-10-2011, 07:43 AM
X2.... with emphasis on very,,,

X3.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Chef Chris. Remember the old 7/O or 8/0 strainless vmc hooks that were out a few years ago? Those were some of the strongest looking siwash hooks I've ever seen. I had more than a few large Hab's needles come back in missing the tail hook. Just saying that looks are definitely not eveything. I'd recommend testing the strength of the eye before buying in completely on those.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a few of those hooks a couple of years ago. The hooks that came on the Hab's Night n Gales looked awesome. I never got a large on them and didnt have the hooks break. I didnt know that was an issue, good to know. They sure did look like some tough bastards.

RIROCKHOUND
04-10-2011, 08:43 AM
It is a 9510xxxs mustad

Pfft..
what do you know about tail hooks. :biglaugh::love:

chefchris401
04-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I was just wondering, on plugs I fish with a siwash on the rear I go with 6/0 or 7/0 vmc.

The siwash hooks on the new ss stuff looked great and was interested in trying them out, but will probably stick to what I know.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JackK
04-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Chris,

I use the SS Mustad 95170 with great success. Super strong, but they do need to be sharpened out of the package. Don't really trust the VMC siwashes. I can bring a few down to the SWE next weekend if you want to check them out.

Mr. Sandman
04-11-2011, 08:02 AM
You will just need to change out the VMC's often...they will rust out. The Stainless are nice if you put a nice buck tail or feather on. I would not get the open eye, just get the closed eye and use a slip ring.

I miss the Stainless Eagle Claw Siwash.

wader-dad
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Pete- Billy D had 2 Super Strike needles on the table at Surf Day. They were identical bodies except on one the hooks were out of the top and the other the hooks out of the bottom. Crazy- one the belly shape curved on the bottom and the other on the top- exact same body. I would ask Billy if he asked Don or Steve Musso about it.

DZ
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM

The wire in SS needles doesn't go straight through the middle of the needle body. It is designed and meant to be curved along the plugs back. Sometimes during the process of the plastic cooling the wire tends to want to pull down both ends of the plug giving it a banana shape. Easily rectified by bending the back "slighlty" towards the belly - you'll hear the wire crack as it releases from the plastic. For safety sake remove hooks before bending plug. Of course you could just want to fish that banana shaped plug as it just might be what the bass want. "Hey what are you using?" "Just a SS 1 3/4 ounce yellow banana shaped needle - the bass don't seem to want the straight ones tonight."

DZ

pbadad
04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
The needle Wadre dad is referring to is that the hook holes seem to be molded on the top. nose curved up. Hey it could be a "niche, riding higher????