View Full Version : Lathe Rituals

Zeal
04-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Finally started turning and practicing with the roughing gouge and skew. Addicting as hell!

Since I am literally just starting out, at the end of the day when you guys are done turning, what are really good habits to get into as far as taking care of the lathe and the tools extending their lifespan? (Besides making sure everything is off, cleaning the workspace, etc. I am talking about if you apply grease after each session, sharpen/hone the tools after each session, etc.)

Oddly enough, on the internet there is all the talk about how to use and how to turn, but little on actually taking care of the machinery besides common sense.

mfm22
04-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't do much, vacum all dust & chips especially off motor and belt area. Once in a while I use parafin wax on bed.

Lathe tools -gouge & skew [all I use ] will get sharpened every so often .
I always smile after using sharp tools & wonder why I wait so long to do so :uhuh:

Zeal
04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Do you clean the tools off with a rag or put any solution on them? Do you wipe down the lathe after to get all the wood off after vacuuming? That grease just holds everything

mfm22
04-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Nope ,just vacum off everything .. No oil,grease or even wd40 .
Dry is better [ imo ]

eskimo
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't take care of much. That way I can blame it on whatever brand it is if it breaks. I have a harder time finding something when I clean up so I just leave everything where it is.

good tip-if a weight, swivel, wire, or grommet falls under or behind something..leave it there. Then when you run out you can move a bench and find exactly what you need.

adson
04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I would suggest you try something other than grease
look for some LPS 1 ..it's a dry lube , works great on bare metal
tools etc