View Full Version : Garmin Vision Card

Got Stripers
04-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Anyone using one, not exactly sure whether that card is really worth the money. Love to see some real time video's of exactly what acutally fishing structure looks like on that puppy before shelling out the money. I'd definately buy it for advanced Bathmetric charts, but it's not really clear if the actual charts are any better. I could care less about harbor pictures or some of the other enhancements, structure and better bottom details are what interest me.

Van
04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I have it and don't use the image or the 3D stuff either, but it will provide good chartography both fishing and crusing and it includes lots of features not on the plotter itself. Color the chart depths the way you want, set safe depths and then the nav and guide-to features take you right where you want to go in safe water......shweet.

I say its worth it.

There was another thread not too long ago on this.

Double Hall
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I bought a used card and while there are a bunch of added features, the only one I cared about (and use) is the navigation routing. It factors in dept and will auto route you to your destination safely, rather than having to plot your own course around rocks, islands, etc. Great at night or on a foggy day.

The 3d bottom is a cool show off feature that people may think is cool, but it isn't the actual bottom, so not 100% realistic, and nothing you can't see on a normal chart.

MakoMike
04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Garmin sells chips with real bathy charts, I have one.

Got Stripers
04-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Boy trying to get the "real" scoop out of West Marine, online or even after talking to a Garmin tech today is like pulling teeth. Sounds like the fishing chart with bathmetric is preloaded and I might not need to purchase a separate chip; so odd I can't get a straight answer. West Marine would just love to sell me a Vision card, but I can't see shellling out more money if the bathametric charts arent in their or significantly better then what is pre-loaded.