View Full Version : Propane tank recertification

tattoobob
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know of a place I can take a couple of out of date tanks to be recertified?

5/0
04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Sorry but do you mean put back in use?If so there are a few things,first you need to know who owns them there should be a recessed stamp on them and secondly if there not to old they'll need to be hydrostatic and visual tested.

On a side note a Buddy of mine bought a house two years ago and wants to dump the 250 lbr to the scrap yard,so he spoke with a neighborer and he advised him to check with the locale propane fill up people cause if he scraps it one of the Co,that owns it could stop by and ask him about it's where abouts is:wall:

tattoobob
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes I need them for my camper and they are 20 pound horizontal tanks
If I had to buy new ones it will cost me about $175 a piece plus shipping

derf
04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
check with a major propane distributor in your area . some do it on premises, some send them out for re certification

5/0
04-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Yes I need them for my camper and they are 20 pound horizontal tanks
If I had to buy new ones it will cost me about $175 a piece plus shipping

Bob what about Blue Rhino tanks,you see-em every where have you tried that avenue yet?

mikecc
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Had 1 done a few years back at Robys Propane in wareham. from what the guy told me was Recertified tanks have to be done every 3 years.
cost me $15 and only the new style valves are acceptable.Old style valves can't be recertified.

derf
04-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Bob what about Blue Rhino tanks,you see-em every where have you tried that avenue yet?

this aren't the 'normal' tanks :)
these are 'horizontal'; they lay on their side ..

Had 1 done a few years back at Robys Propane in wareham. from what the guy told me was Recertified tanks have to be done every 3 years.
cost me $15 and only the new style valves are acceptable.Old style valves can't be recertified.

the horizontal tanks are exempt from the new valves...
at least that what the law says , some places won't fill them without them though :smash::wall:

i went through this a few years ago with my old camper ...
175 apiece to replace them is why mine are locked in the propane compartment !!

tattoobob
04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
That's what I'm trying to avoid, I don't want to spend $350 on propane tanks.

tattoobob
04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mike I'm going to call Roby's Propane tomorrow