View Full Version : Bottom Paint Question

Sea Dangles
04-13-2011, 06:37 PM
I bought my boat a year ago,it's an 05 Parker 23.It came with bottom paint which I believe is ablative type.I'd like to put another coat or two and was wondering what type of prep work is needed.Sand,power wash,what is the best way to start the job. Thanks for the replies,Chris

nightfighter
04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Chris, if it is ablative that was done properly, there will be a different colored "tell" coat beneath . Light wetsanding a small area should bring it out. In principle, you should only need to touch up the areas that are thin, where the tell coat is showing.

saltyric
04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Actually, it also depends on what type of ablative paint. Paints like ACT are single year paints and only have something like a 60day out of water life, where are paints like MICRON are multi season. I have been using ACT. Basically I just pressure wash the crap out of it, let it dry, and throw another coat on it. In hind site I wished I had used Micron as I could get away with touching up small areas.

thefishingfreak
04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Powerwash to get the slime off.
If the previous paint is in good shape (stuck good) Lightly sand with 80 -180 grit, scrape all barnacles off the trim tabs etc.
Rewash.
2" tape the top line all the way around and roll out the new paint. One coat on the bottom should be fine. Put three or more on the waterline.
Don't let the tape sit overnight or get wet.
If the old paint is peeling you've got alot lore work to do.
Don't paint the transducer.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

saltyric
04-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Great point about not painting the transducer!

If you do feel the need to paint it, use "transducer Paint" comes in a small bottle. I beleive there is no copper in it.

Sea Dangles
04-14-2011, 06:33 AM
John,from Voyager told me to thin paint and go right over the ducer.There are no barnacles at all and a little slime on the water line.Trim tabs have paint on them and look good.I really can't tell if it's micron or act paint on there but I think I'll buy the micron if it's better paint.This is looking like a tedious job with the boat on the trailer.

saltyric
04-14-2011, 06:37 AM
yeah, I have a bunck trailer....its a real P.I.A. Thats why i wish I had used Micron...could have gotten a way with painting around the bunks every other year. Good luck.

beamie
04-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Painting boats on trailers su*cks.

If your not going to use the waterbased transducer paint then don't paint it at all. I believe it is the solvents also that they don't want to attack the glue that the ducer is set in.

thefishingfreak
04-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Thats definitly the hard way. It's well worth your while to borrow/ buy a set of used stands and slide it off. it will take 20 minutes to get the trailer out from under it. I'v e done it with a few big logs, wood blocks, and a floor jack. You will kill yourself painting it on the trailer. Plus you'll get bottom paint all over the trailer ruining it's resale value.
you could allways just do the waterline.

likwid
04-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Boat Lifting Systems | Brownell Boat Stands LLC (http://www.boatstands.com/catalog/boat-lifting-systems)

:hihi:

nightfighter
05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Thats definitly the hard way. It's well worth your while to borrow/ buy a set of used stands and slide it off. it will take 20 minutes to get the trailer out from under it. I'v e done it with a few big logs, wood blocks, and a floor jack. You will kill yourself painting it on the trailer. Plus you'll get bottom paint all over the trailer ruining it's resale value.
you could allways just do the waterline.

Walk me through this.... Haven't done it before and don't want to be in the middle of it and not have what I need on hand, or miss a step....

thefishingfreak
05-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Search: boat paint 1-4-2012

timmah
05-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Saw this on CL yesterday: boat stands 4 sale (http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/3794674447.html)

thefishingfreak
05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
You can borrow my stands after tomorrow they will lift your boat no problem